It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinion or fact??Lets hear it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
To me one of the biggest and fastest growin viruses or "pandemic" is facebook,twitter, and myspace.Why? well for one everyone seems to have one or the other and what this does is lets the government tap in on are daily lives.If someone wants to know what your doing or thinking they sinmply just have to look at your status...Now this part is a lilttle out there but what IF facebook,twitter,myspace even ATS is a way to catergorize where people will be put in the N.W.O....just trying to hear fellow ATS memebers opinions, or even their "facts" on this.
edit on 4-12-2011 by mik3ymik3 because: take out a text

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mik3ymik3

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
It seems a little far fetched to me. Then again I have been wrong before. I'm sure if the government wanted more information they could get it without controlling facebook.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Guess they'll have to try harder to dupe ATSers, we woke up long ago

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Notice how Facebook and MySpace were on the same level, while providing the near identical same service. MySpace went public and has since failed. Facebook has somehow remained "private" and creates huge streams of revenue with no end in sight. Why else would a site like MySpace, who was owned by a public company, go under, and a private website succeed so well. Government involvement.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

I understand what you are saying.
*snip*
You identify a problem but offer no solution *snip*.

Mod Edit: Please Review the Following Link: Courtesy Is Mandatory
edit on Mon Dec 5 2011 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Great post, mik,

I hate them all. I have always thought that nothing good will come of these sites.

It is not a good idea to lay yourself wide open to invaders - whether that be governments or worse.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I don't think that's a too far fetched idea. Most of my facebook friends post waayyy to personal updates, pictures etc. Some people are stupid enough to post every little detail of everyday of their life, their spouse's and their kids lives . I could see how the government or anybody else could gather anything they needed from facebook. For myself, I don't post anything that would matter to anyone other than my family I use it to keep in touch with.

'They' already know where you live and work, spending habits (thanks to debit cards and the like), anything you've seen a dr about, what you do online and it seems as though they already have our smartphones on tap as well. So I guess we are more and more damned if we do or don't. I hope they are scoping out my facebook, I want the whole world to see just how cute my pet rat is and how well I make flotation devices out of lawn chairs and noodles. lmao

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

It wouldn't surprise me, but really facebook and all these social networking sites are about data-mining. It's about giving companies your interests and personal likes, which is why facebook went over to actually having to like a page instead of just listing it. Companies can then tailor what you see online to send you spam emails and place adverts that would interest you in every space of every page you visit online.
Really it's just personalised advertising space, which if you've ever had a loyalty or rewards card from a local merchant or retailer is pretty much the same.
End of the day companies want you to spend your money in their stores, the internet and facebook are just a direct way of getting their product across to you.

And yes, I do agree, people put waaaaay too much personal information on facebook these days

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I believe it is very possible. The way I see it people put WAAAY too much info about themselves on Facebook, etc. and I don't see why the government wouldn't utilize such social websites as a valuable information gathering tool.

I personally have never been attracted to MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, etc. I have always valued my privacy, and the way I see it is if I want somebody to know what's going on in my life I would rather call them or go see them in person. It seems like the more people depend on "social" websites the less actual socializing they do. Therefore you have people with hundreds of Facebook "friends" who sit alone and lonely at their computers with no REAL friends to actually hang out with.

Maybe there is a conspiracy in THAT- people having computer "friends" instead of actual human contact. Engineered isolationism as it were. People are more likely to take actual actions if they have REAL people to back them up. Something to chew on I guess.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia
Notice how Facebook and MySpace were on the same level, while providing the near identical same service. MySpace went public and has since failed. Facebook has somehow remained "private" and creates huge streams of revenue with no end in sight. Why else would a site like MySpace, who was owned by a public company, go under, and a private website succeed so well. Government involvement.

so true its scary...

I ask the OP this what use would this be to those in power?
I dont rly care where your drinking or what grade you got on your last test... why would anyone be stupid enough to use facebook or the like for something they could get in trouble for?

I think the real reason for these type of sites is to keep people occupied with drivel, when they could be Occupying much much more, its a way to promote ignorance and a mob mentality... these sites can be a double edged sword and used for the betterment of society that is why you get internet socks and water warriors to keep the herd running in the right direction...

AJ although crazy at times has a phrase that is true "there is a war going on, for your mind."

edit on 12/7/2011 by -W1LL because: sp

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Please don't create duplicate threads.

The discussion can be continued here.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join