It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspected gunman in fatal shooting near Occupy Oakland camp arrested and charged

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Well, I guess it's only fair that a few of us eat a little crow on this one. I was among those who came down on Occupy with this specific incident. The authorities themselves are saying neither the victim nor the attackers were actually Occupy members but simply hangers on at most, and that is iffy.

A man arrested last weekend in Kentucky, where he had fled, was charged Thursday with fatally shooting another man Nov. 10 near the Occupy Oakland encampment near City Hall moments after the victim was severely beaten by others, police said.

The fatal shooting apparently stemmed from a dispute Gholston got into Nov. 10, possibly over alcohol, with some people at the encampment who were not involved with the movement, authorities said

But Foster was attacked and beaten, punched and kicked. Some people from the encampment tried to stop the attack, and when Foster started to flee, he was shot, Officer Robert Trevino said. He died later at a hospital.
Source Article

This honestly sounds like something as likely to have happened whether Occupy Oakland was there or not. It doesn't erase other incidents..but this one is certainly looking like it had nothing at all to do with OWS. It might be an interesting point for more than merely an academic footnote. I seem to recall action against the camp being taken with this shooting as the justification in part or in whole. At least, it was used as justification for the timing and sense of urgency.

edit on 1-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: Correction.....

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Oooh, what a twist! Betcha this gets swept under the rug...

join