It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abstinence-Only Education and Teen Pregnancy Rates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
A recent paper on a study showed, that countries with active abstinence-based sex-education like the USA are more likely to have a high to very high teenage pregnancy rate.

Quote:

The United States ranks first among developed nations in rates of both teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. In an effort to reduce these rates, the U.S. government has funded abstinence-only sex education programs for more than a decade. However, a public controversy remains over whether this investment has been successful and whether these programs should be continued. Using the most recent national data (2005) from all U.S. states with information on sex education laws or policies (N = 48), we show that increasing emphasis on abstinence education is positively correlated with teenage pregnancy and birth rates.

Part of the problem is that teenagers are curious, and if they weren't teached about sex at all other than "don't do it!" there is a huge chance that they can get pregnant because simply of ignorance.

Compared to Germany, there are 4x more teen pragnencies in the USA! (18.8/1000 girls vs. 72/1000)

Okay, someone mentioned in another forum that this is nearly exactly what christian fundamentalists would like: every act of sex followed by pregnancy. No sex just for fun.

What do you think?
edit on 1-12-2011 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
This subject has puzzled me for a long time.

Growing up in Switzerland I was never really confronted with teenage pregnancies, definitely not to the scale the UK has.

I never really had a "sex talk", except a quick "for gods sake use a condom" from my parents but was given literature appropriate for my age and read them all. Albeit cheesy it was still helpful to at least get the big questions out of the way. Sex education in school was negligible. The teachers looked more uncomfortable than the kids.

Now I've lived in the uk for 4 years and seen more pregnant KIDS, thats right KIDS because I wouldn't go anywhere near describing some of these 16 year olds as "teens", than ever before.

I know a lot of people who use the seemingly very popular method of "contraception" described as "pulling out".

This raised my suspicion that these people DON'T know their own bodies and have NO desire to get to know their own bodies. Completely sexually ignorant.

Also here they aren't too worried about having a baby when they're young since they get lots of benefits, including money and a roof over your head, from the government and more often than not from their own parents. I think it is sometimes seen as an easy way out of getting out of a difficult financial situation.

These people are having babies for ALL the wrong reasons, which I believe reflects in the childs upbringing. Those kids usually turn out to have children at a very young age themselves, thus creating a never ending circle of teenage pregnancies.

I guess it can't be blamed on one single thing but a myriad of factors probably including but not limited to media, popular culture, upbringing.

Didn't intend to make my post this long, hope it kind of makes sense.

Peace & Love

Edit:
Apologies for not actually addressing your question regarding abstinence & religion, I completely gone off the topic slightly haha

On a serious note I do believe teaching abstinence is not the way forward. Sex education should have NOTHING to do with religion OR government. I believe sex education should be done in the home, where you (hopefully) feel safe, comfortable and learn from the main mentors in your life, your parents.

I see religion as a manipulative tool. What's easier than manipulating children? It's a great target audience unfortunately.
edit on 1-12-2011 by Swizzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

that sounds exactly the same as the drugs policy, just say no. It didn't work for drugs and it wont work for sex, when will the 'adults' realise there stupidity is not working

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by FFS4000

Damn, I knew I forgot something! I was going to mention the war on drugs too, another perfect example.

Kids will be kids and they are hella curious, I know I was.

Kids need to learn from their own experience and not have "life lessons" shoved down their throat by government institutions.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I think abstinence only sex education is just asking for trouble.

They need to fully understand what can happen on a biological and an emotional level. They need to know what they can do to protect themselves from pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. They need to know where to obtain the precautions mentioned above.

'but but but, Daryllyn! Giving them the tools will send them the message that it's okay to have sex!'

They are going to do it regardless. They need to have the proper education to protect themselves if they do. Period.
edit on 1-12-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This just goes along with the whole Christian guilt concept of sex.

You see a long time ago the Church decided that a good way to control people was to do it with guilt. Not only guilt but sexual guilt too. Teach you to be ashamed of your body and afraid of the gratification of sexual experiences.

It worked wonders. Now we have a whole 3 or 10 generations of folk who are prudish, misinformed and are raising their kids to have the same stigma.

Abstinence does not work, because you can't stop teenagers from taking their clothes off. It's actually a really important part of growing up in your teen years. To explore your body and experiment with your sexual desires. There's nothing wrong with that.

It's worse if they are oppressed sexually and then act out, this is how you get Teen Pregnancies and STD rates and what have you . These children are miss informed and are simply told NO. Ever try and tell a 15 year old not to do something? How'd that work out the first 100 times?

Now this is social engineering. This is conservatives putting their faith and beliefs above the welfare of their children. The reality is, less education means more problems. Simply put, that's true for any subject with any person.

Ignorance is a bastion for mistakes and un-balanced mindsets.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
Okay, someone mentioned in another forum that this is nearly exactly what christian fundamentalists would like: every act of sex followed by pregnancy. No sex just for fun.

What do you think?

This isn't an "either/ or" issue as most people paint it to be. We should be teaching our kids about birth control AND abstinence. And we should be teaching our kids about what it's like for a teen to have to suffer through the humiliation of being pregnant at that age, and what it's like to have to be responsible for a baby, etc. Because birth control is NOT 100% effective. Even if birth control is used, there's still a very real risk of pregnancy. We've taken this approach towards educating our kids and stressed to them that in the end it's their decision because we can't be hovering over their shoulders every minute of every day. Their attitude is that the risk is not worth it, and we're very proud of them for it.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
No doubt. A no brainer thats for sure. Things like this need to be taught from a young (ish) age, ie. preteen.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
[color=mediumorchid]My boys are little yet (2 and 4) so we have a while before we are ready for 'the talk'..

But, I plan to teach them from a youngish age. I don't want the school to be the first place they learn about it.

I don't want to scare them, but I want them to know the risks. Having unprotected sex can literally be a death sentence.

edit on 1-12-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Well duh. You can't go against nature. Asking religious people to do the rational thing is kind of a waste of time...

Abstinence is the stupidest thing ever invented. It's like forcing people to not be curious... what ya think will happen?
edit on 1-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

join