It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SC Sheriff to women: "I want you to get a concealed weapons permit. Don't get Mace. Get a firearm.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Simultaneously admitting the uselessness of America's penal system and the inability of police to protect you or anyone a South Carolina Sheriff tired of comforting victims urges people to arm themselves and be prepared to use deadly force in defense of self.

Spartanburg County, South Carolina Sheriff Chuck Wright held a news conference on Monday in which he urged citizens to buy and carry guns: "Our form of justice is not making it. I'm really aggravated. Carry a concealed weapon. That'll fix it."

"I'm tired of looking at victims saying, 'There's life after this' … I'm tired of saying, 'We're sorry, we can't keep them in jail.'"

Link

It's refreshing to get some honesty from one of the "only ones" for a change.

As a side note a Gallup poll in October found:

More and more ladies are packing heat, and they're proud of it. A new Gallup Poll shows 43 percent of women own guns - an all time high.
Link

So maybe the sheriff wont have to push too hard.
edit on 1-11-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Good for this Sheriff for admitting the problem and the "real" solution. I hope more people take his advise. Even though I'm not in SC, I am really concerned about the holidays this year with the economy being so bad.
edit on 1-11-2011 by chiefsmom because: sp

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I'm all for citizens carrying a gun, but even more - be aware of your surroundings. A concealed handgun won't do you much good if you're surprised from behind by an attacker. Most criminals look for opportunities - so don't give them any! Many victims stories begin when they're alone late at night in a secluded area. It may seem paranoid but I think it's a good idea to treat all walking scenarios as if you were driving....check your blind spots and always leave yourself some room to maneuver. It won't prevent all attacks but it can stop the avoidable ones...or at least give you some time to pull and aim your weapon.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

Damn straight.

The proliferation of the iPod is the greatest boon to personal assaults ever.

I've followed friends home for blocks just to see if I could. Right up to their front door, wait for them to unlock it then push them inside and shut the door behind me.

Totally surprised they never knew I was there thanks to their stupid mp3 player blasting away in their ears.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
That's the best advice! Along with being aware of surroundings, LOOKING at people and walking with purpose and confidence.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I've always questioned the "looking at/make eye contact with potential attackers" especially if it's with someone of your same gender. Some people will start with you for "eyeballing" them and say "what are you looking at?", on the other hand maybe it has something to do with putting yourself in the "prey" role ... are there studies that back up this claim?

Either way I wouldn't stare, rather look and nod acknowledging as if to say "hello" because it's not perceived as a challenge.

Plus I always heard that you should always avoid eye contact with charging silver-backs, just stand your ground.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
kudos to this cop for telling the truth to the people, and admitting that the system is broken in a sorts.
2nd

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
I've always questioned the "looking at/make eye contact with potential attackers" especially if it's with someone of your same gender.

I don't mean stare people down or ogle them, I just mean let them know that I am aware and I could identify them if I had to.
I'd probably smile and say hi.

Plus I always heard that you should always avoid eye contact with charging silver-backs, just stand your ground.

Definitely. If you're walking down a dark alley and encounter a charging silver-back, DO NOT make eye-contact!
That made my day! Thanks.

edit on 11/1/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Hallelujah, This is what I want to hear. The truth.

Ladies, he is spot on. He is telling you that your false sense of security in the police protecting you is well, false.

Protect your self. I have Mr. Kimber at my side always.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Situational awareness. Know what's going on around you. Turn off the damned ipod, quit texting while walking after dark, and walk with confidence as though you know where you're headed, and that you have every right to be where you're at.

...and please, don't be afraid to ask for help. If you're walking out of a store, or your home, where ever...if you see something you think is wrong, it probably is. Go back inside, and ask someone to walk you to your car, or call a friend for a ride...what ever it takes to be safe.

In a store, the managers will be more than happy to have someone walk you to your car, I've done it more times than I can easily count. Who knows how many muggings, or worse, are prevented by this simple, yet effective, step.

join