It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chancellor of St Pauls Cathedral Resigns over Occupy London.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
now THIS is interesting, nay, A revelation.....

www.independent.co.uk...

And look at this...

From the St. Paul's Institute website.

Welcome to St Paul's Institute Located within the City of London, St Paul's Institute seeks to foster an informed Christian response to the most urgent ethical and spiritual issues of our times: financial integrity, economic theory, and the meaning of the common good.

www.stpaulsinstitute.org.uk...

Also some of the contributors...

www.stpaulsinstitute.org.uk...
edit on 29/10/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

So instead of releasing their paper that could have supported the protesters, St Pauls is colluding with the Corporation of London to get rid of the protesters. I'm sure Jesus would be proud.

Good article in The Observer today.

The mayor of London demands a law against it to stop tent villages "erupting like boils" across the capital. If you lived like Boris, you too might be a bit paranoid about boils. The prime minister interrupts a trip to Australia to announce that the government is poised to intervene. Meantime, the Church of England is split down the aisle about whether the Christian thing is to embrace the protesters encamped on the doorstep of its cathedral – after all, St Paul was a tent-maker and Christ had a robust approach to moneychangers – or to join forces with the mammonites who run the City of London and have the protest camp evicted. Much of the mainstream media side with the establishment by dismissing them as an incoherent and unrepresentative fringe. Well-paid television interviewers sneer that the protesters are spoilt brats while grand columnists scoff that they will achieve nothing.

www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 30-10-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

That was a good article man, some good points raised
I think also by the protesters just being there and raising issues that they've done much more than most in politics have done.
Very interesting.

I think there is a lot more to the St.Paul's issue than meets the eye..... there was a kind of debate between some of the protesters and the Dean of St Paul's and the Bishop of London this morning outside St.Paul's.

The Dean was trying to say that there is no influence from bankers and people on the "board" of the Institute of St.Paul's..... people booed that a lot

I'll try and find a clip, can't as yet but will keep trying.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Also interesting...

The REAL Christians will stand up.

www.americablog.com...

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Here is open Democracy for you.

Protesters also expressed disappointment at the cathedral's desire to go to court. One, 40-year-old Tanya Paton, said: "I'm a member of the Church of England and I am utterly shocked by the decision. It's very unChristian. At no point have they tried to have open dialogue about why we're here. It has always been about the structure of the building." The movement has instructed lawyers, who are working on a pro-bono basis. "We know it's going to be a long, protracted process," she added.

The decision alarmed some of those who attended a special meeting of the corporation's planning and transport committee, which voted overwhelmingly in favour of legal action.

The closed session discussed the findings of an internal report, which weighed up the right to protest against the obstruction of a public highway.

Guardian

I find it bizarre on one hand have a open meeting then once everyone attends, the committee decides to have the meeting in private. Completely un-democratic.
edit on 30-10-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

City of London authorities are to order protesters outside St Paul's Cathedral to remove their tents and equipment.

The protesters will be served a notice on Monday afternoon ordering them to clear the public areas around St Paul's within the next 48 hours.

It follows a City of London Corporation decision last week to go ahead with court action to clear the area.

Well I kinda knew this was going to happen, after the fiasco of the Corporate London Authorities, closing a public meeting, by inviting the public to the meeting and then barring them.

And so it begins, the Bishop of London states he does not want any violence. That is exactly what is coming if this financial p[aid and corrupt authority gets its way.

This reason I find bizarre to say the least:

The Planning and Transportation Committee of Corporation last week voted to go ahead with proceedings to remove the encampment on the grounds that it constitutes an unreasonable use of the highway

Completely idiotic.

BBC NEWS

While this has been issued the Protestors met the Church of England's Bishops head on.

There is "no use for violent confrontation" with protesters outside St Paul's Cathedral, the Bishop of London has said.

Dr Richard Chartres met demonstrators camped outside to discuss their views.

It was more than a discussion over views.

UPDATE: Now the Dean off St Paul's has resigned.

BBC LONDON

edit on 31-10-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The Dean off St Paul's has resigned as a result of the Farcas over the protest occupation. Anyone think he was forced out of his position.

The press are blaming the Protestors for this which I think it is ridiculous.

The Dean of St Paul's Cathedral in London has resigned, saying his position had become untenable.

The Very Rev Graeme Knowles said the past fortnight had been a testing time.

It follows weeks of protests outside the cathedral by anti-capitalist protesters, which led to the building being closed for several days.

BBC London

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Everything is being blamed on the protesters.... I think the issue now is about the City of London Corporation & The St.Paul's Institute.

This is fascinating.... the story behind the story.

The REAL reasons why the church are against this movement..... bedfellows with the bankers and corporations.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Well now the Church has suspended its legal bid to have those protestors removed. There is Morales for you,

While they discuss the issues with the protestors, the co-operate greedy authority of London continues with its legal bid. ..

St Paul's Cathedral is suspending its legal action against an anti-capitalist protest camp outside the church.

A cathedral spokesman said it intended to "engage directly and constructively" with the protesters "without the threat of forcible eviction".

The City of London Corporation has said it plans to issue eviction letters to the protesters.

Occupy London Stock Exchange said it was preparing to respond.

BBC News

There was also a confrontation at Parliament Square last night between a group of 150 protestors and the police. Over a bill which would make squatting illegal.

At least 12 people were arrested after police and protesters clashed outside the Houses of Parliament.

The plan had been to stage what was described by protesters as a peaceful Halloween picnic in Parliament Square.

From midnight, about 150 people began showing their opposition to a bill to be debated later, which would make squatting a criminal offence.

BBC News
edit on 1-11-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Now I am not one for posting any program me, produced by the BBC, some times it can be biased, but this one was interesting:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

That was a great video, I'm impressed with what they have done down there. I'm in London on Thursday and Friday, so I might have to pop a long and have look for myself.

I made a thread earlier today about The City of London Corporation you may find interesting
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tea4One

Haven't you heard? Nothing comes for free, not even God's infinite love. His love goes up with inflation.

Yeah right !!! Get a life..... The greed of man has nothing to do with Gods love and the fact of the matter is God has nothing to do with all these churches that have perverted his word for the doctrine of men. Gods love is for all of His creations not a building fashioned by hand and most certainly not a corporation that calls itself the church, god dwells in the individual.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Oh coolz, I myself will be popping over to the Occupy Glasgow, just to see how things are going, over there. Seems Glasgow Council is now going to court to have them removed before Remembrance Sunday, which I do not support.

After all, those who died in Both world wars fought not only for the freedoms of every citizen in this country, but also fought for our rights to be free from dictatorships and authoritarianism, those soldiers will be turning in their graves, with all this infringements on peoples rights to protest peacefully.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This has to be handled extremely delicately.

There was supposed to be legal action taken today but it has been paused.

I wonder why? Hmm.

The cathedral was nice enough to post a note of thanks to all those who helped contribute to their 40million fund to restore the cathedral.

would you like to see who was on the list of thanks?

well you can. its a very interesting list and can make you understand why there might have been such an internal fight going on about getting rid of the protesters.

www.stpauls.co.uk...

see how many names you can recognise

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

I think this has been the biggest success for OccupyLSX, They have inadvertently shone a light on the status of The City of London corporation and on the hypocrisy with the CofE. The fact they were forced to camp out at St Pauls was because they were not allowed to camp at the intended destination of the London Stock exchange.

I have learnt a fair bit about both the funding of St Pauls and a little more about The city of London Corporation. Things I would have never known had it not been for Occupy London. So on that note they have already had an amazing achievement.

They have been given 48 hours to leave, lets hope calm heads will prevail from both sides.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

They have been given 48 hours to leave, lets hope calm heads will prevail from both sides.

All of that has now been halted.

Both St.Paul's and City of London Corporation have dropped their bids to have the protesters removed,
They would rather talk to the protesters and reach an agreement without having them forcibly removed.

www.guardian.co.uk...

news.sky.com...

www.bbc.co.uk...

I personally don't buy this as the reason.

I think the links between the two are the main reason.

I think the Church knows it has been dealing with some unscrupulous characters and that the City of London Corporation and St Paul's relationship, is going to be put under extreme scrutiny.

Oh this is such a HUGE story.

Seriously.

The plot thickens.
edit on 1/11/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yeah I saw this on the news before.Like you say too much light was being shown upon, not only St Pauls, but on The City of London Corporation and it's relationship within the British establishment. If occupy lsx achieves nothing else it has at least exposed and brought to light some important issues, that people in the UK should be concerned about.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join