It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

misery index highest since 1983

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
misery index highest since 1983

U.S. "misery index" rises to highest since 1983 reuters tweet17 Email Print On Thursday October 20, 2011, 8:53 am EDT By Ann Saphir CHICAGO (Reuters) - An unofficial gauge of human misery in the United States rose last month to a 28-year high as Americans struggled with rising inflation and high unemployment. The misery index -- which is simply the sum of the country's inflation and unemployment rates -- rose to 13.0, pushed up by higher price data the government reported on Wednesday. The data underscores the extent that Americans continue to suffer even two years after a deep recession ended, with a weak economic recovery imperiling President Barack Obama's hopes of winning reelection next year.

The last time the misery index was at current levels was in 1983. But in 1984 an improving economy probably helped President Ronald Reagan win reelection. This year, the index has risen more than 2 points.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
guess this is just another nail in the coffin of america's illusion?

how many reports do we need to see before we realize we're already down for the count?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
all of it is confusing if you ask me..two days ago i saw the news reporting that there is light in recovery and that in fact retail sales were way up in sept.
yesterday npr said credit card companies had more late payment last month than any other time in history.

I know I am miserable and I feel like my life could be greatly improved..so I'm not really on the "we are recovering" bandwagon. Misery loves company...so maybe I'm just being whiny..life sucks right now for most people I know...it truly is hand to mouth--payday to payday for most people around here.

join