It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The fall of a great society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Two hundred and thirty five years ago, this land was at the beginning of what would become the United States of America. It would rise above everything that would tear it apart. From within and without. But it now seems to have come full circle with history. Every Nation, Country and society on the face of the Earth it seems has forgotten to look behind it, and see the mistakes that were made by other great or greater nations. And because of the lack of hindsight, we face the greatest pearl ever to come upon us in our history.

THE FALL OF OUR NATION

The below information was obtain from Anglefire.com in all or part.

Personal comments within ( )

SOCIAL CAUSES

1.Slavery had weakened the moral fiber of the citizens and a large discontented mass of people had become disenfranchised.

2.There had been a decline in the traditional Citizenry.

3. Moral decay was evident as depicted in its literature, amusements, and life styles that often portrayed gratuitous sex and violence.

4. Patriotism declined as people lost their allegiance to the state.

5. Christianity challenged the traditional character traits and caused people to neglect the state when they concentrated on personal salvation.

ECONOMIC CAUSES.

1. As productivity declined, (The US) became more dependent on foreign products.

2. A breakdown in the labor force occurred as traditional work ethic declined.

3. The infrastructure of the cities declined and began a steady decay.

4. A balance of trade deficit began to occur.

5. The cost of government, including the military and welfare, became burdensome.

6. Class economic warfare broke out between the rich and poor.

7. (Some) were not taxed while others were overtaxed.

8. The small farm all but disappeared.

POLITICAL CAUSES

1. The government was not designed to rule a large, polyglot (country) and reform came to late.

2. The government became increasing run by the rich and the military.

3.Citizens lost interest in government as it became distant to them.

4.The military became less loyal to the country - it became a job not a mission.

(If this sounds rather familiar Than you know something about World History. Our society was in part based upon this great civilization.

(IT FELL)

All of the above, look familiar from where I stand. There are other reasons for its demised. These just happen to hit home.)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I realize you didn't write this, so my comments are directed at the author.

I'm not going to address every point, but I disagree with most everything that was written. It's wrong, and/or too simplistic. For example, to say there was a decline in productivity. No, there was a decline in manufacturing capacity, not productivity. US workers are actually extremely productive, just very expensive. So, due to high wages and high cost of doing business, and ridiculous (and IMO, illegal) incentives from China, many businesses moved production over there.

I don't want to take any more time on this, just suffice it to say that this was not very well thought-out.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
From what I have read of history, that's about right, especially the Romans who could not see the wood for the tree's, and by the end 1400 AD, the constant internecine warfare, which emptied the coffers and bankrupted the 'state' at one point the Praetorian Guard even auctioned off the empire! (probably bought by the ancestors of the 'red shield')!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
In the grand scheme of things, we (America) are still infants on a stage full of adults.

Have we “fallen”? No, and it can be argued that we are great yes?

On this planet, in this time, who defines “great”?

We tried to be awesome in such a short amount of time…biting off more than we could chew, all while trying to be innovative and groundbreaking. And we were, to an extent, but the problem with this country lies with the people. Plain and simple. We control our destiny, not boundaries on a map or to a degree, allegiances. That’s my opinion anyway.

Meh.

top topics

join