It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nellis Test Training Range (NTTR) and Google Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I have gone 4 wheeling out in this area before and this wasn't here about a year ago and now this site is operational. Take a look and tell me what you see. To me it looks like some old F-4's and some other aircraft in a hanger.

Could be something (obviously it is) or it could be nothing. It's on the edge of Sheep Range. There is a trail to the east of this that you can currently travel on as of today but who knows for how much longer.

Google Earth 36 46'35.15, -115 27'05.32

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mine Not Yours

I pasted your coordinates in and am not seeing any aircraft. But I do see what looks to be a MOUT site for training Soldiers in Urban warfare. But it is a aircraft range and there are some hard targets to the north. One looks like a M1 tank. So I could be wrong. Our Zoomie Brothers and Sisters shoulod be able to tell.

Three F22's at Nellis though...pretty cool.
edit on 24-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Looks to be older craft and since there is no flight line i doubt its a "military out post" either a collector that has bought old fighters or something similar to that...also to few antennas to be military...didnt see the mount town..im going to bet pmc training area or front sights new supper trainer lol that would be sweet
edit on 24-9-2011 by fatherdeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that you are correct in assuming that those are F-4 Phantoms. IMO, the tail section is what gives it away for me, kind of distinct.

On another note, as old and clunky as those jets are, I still think they look sexy.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
The posted coordinates takes my right to a dirt runway with some hangers on the right. If you pan over more to the right you will see the operations buildings and there are many of them. This is located just NE of Indian Springs, NV (Creech AFB) at a dry lake bed.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatherdeath
Looks to be older craft and since there is no flight line i doubt its a "military out post" either a collector that has bought old fighters or something similar to that...also to few antennas to be military...didnt see the mount town..im going to bet pmc training area or front sights new supper trainer lol that would be sweet
edit on 24-9-2011 by fatherdeath because: (no reason given)

The mock town is to the south of Indian Springs and it was built as a Desert Storm Urban Warfare training which is still in use as of today for Iraq and Afghanistan training. I seriously doubt that it is a collector being so close to Creech AFB. You'll see a lot of those radar sites through the Nevada desert on google earth in the NTTR NO FLY zone area of the Nevada desert.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mine Not Yours
I have gone 4 wheeling out in this area before and this wasn't here about a year ago and now this site is operational. Take a look and tell me what you see. To me it looks like some old F-4's and some other aircraft in a hanger.

Could be something (obviously it is) or it could be nothing. It's on the edge of Sheep Range. There is a trail to the east of this that you can currently travel on as of today but who knows for how much longer.

Google Earth 36 46'35.15, -115 27'05.32

Urban warfare training site. I believe it has been discussed on here before. Structures created out of shipping containers/sea cans, I think.

"There is a trail to the east of this that you can currently travel on as of today but who knows for how much longer." - from what I can see, this is about 8 miles INSIDE the site. And you say you have been 4 wheeling there? Hmmm...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FosterVS

Urban warfare training site. I believe it has been discussed on here before. Structures created out of shipping containers/sea cans, I think.

"There is a trail to the east of this that you can currently travel on as of today but who knows for how much longer." - from what I can see, this is about 8 miles INSIDE the site. And you say you have been 4 wheeling there? Hmmm...

And the skeptics, debunkers and know-it all's come out to call me a liar. To you, you can't judge unless you were there with me and obviously you weren't. This trail to the east is still open and not marked with any signs so believe what you want.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
You said you were "there", not "east of there." There is a difference between those statements.

For those not familiar with the area, there is a road that runs from Corn Creek on the west side to Alamo on the east side. Unless the road has been repaired, you can't cross a section in the middle. The soil is very soft just west of the sand dunes, and the BLM doesn't want people getting stuck there.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by gariac
You said you were "there", not "east of there." There is a difference between those statements.

For those not familiar with the area, there is a road that runs from Corn Creek on the west side to Alamo on the east side. Unless the road has been repaired, you can't cross a section in the middle. The soil is very soft just west of the sand dunes, and the BLM doesn't want people getting stuck there.

Ok. I see how it is. You are going to play on words. Instead of looking at the location to figure what it might be you are going to dissect words and start forum drama to take away from the subject at hand.

I see how it is here.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The Nellis range visitors are the most picky readers of ATS. If you say you were there, expect to be challenged. We know it is restricted territory. The place is probably full of DU rounds, so restriction is a good idea.

The facility in question has been discussed here before. It was also in the Las Vegas newspaper than we can't mention on the forum due to their attempts to sue anyone that links to them. But you can google "Gotham CIty" and the name of one of the Las Vegas newspapers and you will find out more about the facility. The article is dated November 6th, 2009 with an update done on November 12th, 2009.

Check out this thread. I have photographed the range from the hills towards the west:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mine Not Yours

Originally posted by FosterVS

And the skeptics, debunkers and know-it all's come out to call me a liar. To you, you can't judge unless you were there with me and obviously you weren't. This trail to the east is still open and not marked with any signs so believe what you want.

Whah????
I have no doubt you were there, I was wondering if you actually 4-wheeled INTO THE SITE.
I've been to northern crossings with a dirt bike, but wouldn't dream of crossing the line.
I've looked at that trail/"Alamo Rd" on the east side of the range many times on Google Earth - it seems to meander in and out of the range, according to the boundaries in the KMZ file I have. I've been all around the range, from the GLR gate, to Cedar Pass, TTR, Beatty, the southern part at Mercury, Creech. Always wondered about the eastern side of the range, trails in there.
edit on 26-9-2011 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by FosterVS

Eastern side? Isn't that just the side along the ET HIghway. I'm sure you have driven those roads. If you meant western side, Stonewall Mountain is the spot to check out.

www.lazygranch.com...

I've camped out at Stonewall and climbed it a bit. The soil gets sandy not too far up the trail. Time didn't permit me to get to the top. You have to trespass a little to do this drive, but it is legal. I talked to the BLM. They don't want you to linger on the Nellis side of the border.

The base drives up and down the roads in this area all night long. There is cell phone coverage most of the way to the water fall.

Regarding Alamo Rd. weapons school like to practice over T-Bird lake. If you camp out there, you might get a nice light show.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by gariac

Eastern side? Isn't that just the side along the ET HIghway. I'm sure you have driven those roads. If you meant western side, Stonewall Mountain is the spot to check out.

www.lazygranch.com...

I've camped out at Stonewall and climbed it a bit. The soil gets sandy not too far up the trail. Time didn't permit me to get to the top. You have to trespass a little to do this drive, but it is legal. I talked to the BLM. They don't want you to linger on the Nellis side of the border.

The base drives up and down the roads in this area all night long. There is cell phone coverage most of the way to the water fall.

Regarding Alamo Rd. weapons school like to practice over T-Bird lake. If you camp out there, you might get a nice light show.

The Alamo Road/Cabin Spring Road/Carola Dunes side of the range.
Alamo Road seems to cross in/out of the range here and here:
36°40'57.04"N, 115°19'55.04"W
36°45'32.62"N, 115°18'1.74"W

At least according the NTTR Boundary KMZ file I have. I am still trying to find an offical list of boundary coordinates for the range.

T-Bird Lake? Is that the dry lake here? 36°58'17.51"N, 115°13'51.27"W
edit on 27-9-2011 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Yes, Desert Lake is T-Bird Lake. (Just like Texas Lake is Delamar, though sometimes they call it "jumbo.") This is central Nevada...we don't need no stinkin' maps!

I see your point about the road crossing into Nellis territory, based on my Garmin maps. If you look at the official map, the DNWR says that is the road to use. It may be a case where Nellis puts up a sign telling you to keep moving. When I talked to the BLM regarding Stonewall, I was told drive the road but don't linger on Nellis property.

The official DNWR map is here.
www.fws.gov...

Note that the road is close past Dead Horse Road.
www.fws.gov...

It looks like you can see that fake town from the road block location through a pass in the hills, looking northwest.

When I drove the road from the Alamo side, the limit was at N36 56 37.6 W115 12 24.0 .

You will need a telescope to get anything close to a decent shot from 10 miles. I would suggest heading into the hill towards the south to do the shot.
N36 44 41.6 W115 17 01.9
That will get you over a small obstruction I'm seeing on the Garmin profile.

The roads from the Alamo side were not so good. If you are going to time this to be there in the early morning to do the photography (and you might as well if you expect anything decent), figure on driving about 10MPH.

top topics

join