It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Responders and Victims.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

First Responders and Victims of 9/11

While people across North America are remembering what happened on 9/11 today, some politicians are using the event to leverage their public appearance as well, some are not/have not been doing nearly enough in regards to taking care of the people directly impacted by the events.

I understand for most today is one for paying respect to tragedy, but I thought I would bring up an important subject relating to it.

Frankly, it doesn't get talked about enough.

On September 11, 2001 the World Trade Towers were both struck by a plane, and came crashing down to the streets of New York.

Building materials during the destruction of the towers were dispersed throughout the city, which were considered to be "wildly toxic" by UC Davis Professor Emeritus Thomas Cahill. Wiki lists the number of contaminants in the air at over 2,500; including: asbestos, crystalline silica, lead, cadmium, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons*

Respiratory illnesses are common among first responders. *

David Rapp used to pride himself on being an active guy.

Then came September 11. Rapp spent several months at ground zero, drilling steel reinforcements into the “bathtub wall”—the slurry wall between the pit and the Hudson River that prevented the water from flooding the area. Rapp’s illness began with a faint dizziness and shortness of breath, but it steadily got worse.

Before long, he was useless to his former employers. They laid him off. Now Rapp is very, very sick. He’s suffering from severe pulmonary disease—meaning he never gets enough air. He has frequent respiratory infections. He’s on twelve medicines. He carries an oxygen tank wherever he goes. “I just went straight down,” Rapp says, his voice somewhere between a whisper and a rasp. “It’s real depressing.” *

David Rapp is just one of many...

Dr. Larry Norton:*

Deputy Physician-in-Chief for Breast Cancer Programs; Medical Director, Evelyn H. Lauder Breast Center; Norna S. Sarofim Chair in Clinical Oncology - Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

Dr. Norton is quoted as saying, "Why isn't the whole nation mobilizing to take care of the chronic health impact of this disaster?" in 2006, five years after the disaster, in relation to the efforts taken to monitor health effects of the tragedy.*

Dr. Norton said another study done at Mount Sinai Hospital that found 70% of first responders became ill from inhaling toxic dust at ground zero was a "wake up call."

This study was covered by the New York Times, which said:

Roughly 70 percent of nearly 10,000 workers tested at Mount Sinai from 2002 to 2004 reported that they had new or substantially worsened respiratory problems while or after working at ground zero.

This is something you would not expect to find in a first world nation. Criticism at times is understandable, but criticism for something like this should be non-existent. Not because people can't talk about it, but because there should be nothing to criticize.

And while first responders are still suffering, politicians are still playing with their lives by not making funds available to help them through the sickness they developed trying to save the lives of their fellow countrymen.

"H.R.847 - James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010
To amend the Public Health Service Act to extend and improve protections and services to individuals directly impacted by the terrorist attack in New York City on September 11, 2001, and for other purposes."

HR 847 received 60 Nay votes, 168 Abstain votes, and 206 Yays.

I hope the nays were on the basis that the act was not enough. Because it wasn't:

However, Dr. James Melius, administrator of the New York State Laborers’ Health and Safety Trust Fund and a peer reviewer of the firefighter study, warned that it "would probably not be enough to persuade federal officials to include cancer as one of the diseases covered under the Zadroga Act.”

The James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010 (H.R. 847) was called into law by President Obama in 2010 and it states that those who have 9/11 related health conditions may be eligible for health care under this law.

Ralph Geidel was a first responder (Fireman) that developed tongue and neck cancer. Since 2003 he and his wife have spent over $100,000 on treatment.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, which is administering the fund, there isn't enough scientific evidence linking cancer in first responders to their exposure to toxic substances from the 9/11 attacks.

Ralph and his wife has used up their savings, living paycheck to paycheck, and even though legislation was put in place to help first responders, Ralph is not covered.

HR 847 was not enough.

I want to put this into contrast:

American Idol voting:

There was a record breaking 97.5 million votes cast for the season 7 finale, but since you can vote often it is not the number of people who voted Read more: wiki.answers.com...

Almost 100 million calls were registered to choose the winner of a reality show. A singing show...

How many calls are being made to political representatives to state that people want care given to the first responders?

Think about it for a second....

I'm not sure where everyone stands on this issue. But in my opinion, these people should be given all their medical care free of charge. In fact, some of the political pork projects could be taken away and given to the 9/11 responders and victim families, build them a retirement community while you are at it.

They actually sacrificed a good number of years off their lives to try and save other peoples'. They deserve it.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I wish I had time to research and elaborate further on this subject, because there is plenty more information that can be presented. In fact, books have been written and many more can be written. I wanted to send a message, and the message is that things happen when people put effort into it.

Effort was put into the rescue operations immediately, and following 9/11. It is my opinion, that there is a lack of effort to help the people who suffered the consequences of the event.

Regards,

Boncho.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I just wanted to say I agree with you. these first responders should have any health related issues covered. if doctors are not certain it is related let's err on the side of caution and compassion to expedite their care. like you said these people put their lives on the line for each and everyone of us and in return we give them little. what I would really like to say I'm going to refrain from saying. it's the anniversary of 9 11 and out of respect I won't talk politics. what I will say is; what side of the aisle is always complaining about spending money or spewing some nonsense about entitlements? it is those people who are the impediment to these first responders receiving proper and timely care.
edit on 11-9-2011 by LooksLikeWeMadeIt because: typo

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LooksLikeWeMadeIt

Thanks for the contribution to the thread. I'm glad to see other people feel the same way.

There were many articles I had found and some other things I wanted to discuss but I eventually chose to omit them, being that a good number were partisan or biased. One important thing is clear, it doesn't matter your political position, the country you are from, or the any other factor... From a human perspective, these people deserve help and our respect.

Nothing changes the fact that human beings, gave up their lives entirely or in part, to save other people ,10 years ago. And nothing should change anyone else's opinion on the matter. No matter the political allegiances, or social views, etc.

new topics

top topics

join