It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edwards AFB to lease 747 simulator

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
It is kind of odd Edwards AFB is leasing a 747 flight simulator. The airborne laser was cancelled. Edwards doesn't fly the E4 or VC25.

The Solicitation number is F1S0AK1125B002. This is a combined synopsis/solicitation for commercial items prepared IAW the format in FAR Subpart 12.6 as supplemented with additional information included in this notice. This announcement constitutes the only solicitation. This is a request for quotation (RFQ). The solicitation document and incorporated provisions and clauses are those in effect through Federal Acquisition Circular (FAC) 2005-53 and DFARs Change Notice (DCN) 2011-08-19. NAICS is 532411 and the size standard is $7,000,000.00; This acquisition is for full and open competition. The AFFTC/PKEW, Edwards Air Force Base, CA is seeking to purchase the following: 1. One (1) Level D Aircraft Simulator: The contractor shall provide one (1) Level D certified 747-400 simulator that reproduces the handling qualities, performance, and systems operation of a production 747-400. Standard FAA currency/recurrence events will be conducted in the simulator. Training on the simulator will be via outside instructor and shall be conducted at a consolidated contractor facility. Simulator instruction will not be required by the contractor. The contractor shall provide six (6) four-hour simulator periods or box times in FY12 (Oct 11-Sept 12). Up to four (4) crew members can be scheduled for each box time.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
...to just anyone?!?

wtf? not cool!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I love those simulators. Mostly crashed all the time and flew upside down.
Those things are cool to play with.
It is. N/m
edit on 11-9-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Strange..
BTW, they want to buy not lease...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
there many 747's in the us military? if so i'd imagine its just while training a new batch of pilots to give them a few hours sim practice before letting them lose on the real stuff

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
there many 747's in the us military?

The 2 Air Force One's spring to mind.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
They originally wanted to buy a 747 simulator, but that was prior to the ABL cancellation.

V25 and E4 are the only two USAF 747 I know about, so this doesn't make sense. V25s are what they call AF1. The E4 is the "doomsday" plane the SECDEF usually uses. Basically the plane in "Sum of All Fears." Edwards has no tie in to either program.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The YAL-1 remains at Edwards as a flying laboratory, now known as the Airborne Laser Testbed (ALTB). When Defense Secretary Robert Gates slashed the budget for the airborne laser program in 2009, the Air Force abandoned plans to create a fleet of AL-1 laser-armed anti-missile platforms. Air Force Chief of Staff Ge. Norman Schwartz said that the system "does not reflect something that is operationally viable.” No kidding. I always thought that this was a shaky premise.

The single YAL-1 prototype was re-designated a flying testbed. Following FY2010 testing, the Missile Defense Agency's Director of Defense Research and Engineering determined that the ALTB aircraft was "cost effective as a science and technology testbed for laser research and development." The MDA plans to use the ALTB as "a national test platform for testing advanced directed energy technologies for the Department of Defense."

In addition to the YAL-1, there are two NASA 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft at Edwards, at least one of which will have to be maintained until the space shuttle orbiters are moved to their final display locations. The other SCA will eventually be retired to provide spare parts for NASA's SOFIA, a 747SP modified as a flying observatory. The SOFIA is based at Palmdale, not far from Edwards.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by gariac

Strange..
BTW, they want to buy not lease...

+1 It clearly states that the AFFTC at Edwards AFB is looking to buy a 747-400 simulator. And that the company that provides it must also give 6 crews a 4-hour long walkthrough on the simulators.

EDIT:

I forgot to add that the AFFTC is the Air Force Flight Testing Center. They do tests on every aircraft in the US Air Force arsenal. More info can be found here:

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 11-9-2011 by allenidaho because: More Info

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowhawk

You have to wonder what it takes to actually kill a DoD program!

Would a NASA purchase/rental show up as USAF AFFTC? Also, what is PKEW?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

I got see one in action at Nasa Ames around 1995. The realism was pretty amazing.
I can only imagine how much they have improved since then. My friend and a couple of his buddies who worked there used to try and do all sorts of crazy maneuvers like barrel rolls and high speed dives.

Got to check out the wind tunnel too, very cool but had a really odd creepy feel to it.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I see on flightaware.com, there is a flight ID of NASA747. Presumably that is the 747 in question (not the shuttle carrier, but SOFIA per the photo on flight aware. N747NA tail number.

But we don't know if that is related to the Edwards 747 simulator lease/purchase.

top topics

join