It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving Video: Lab Chimps See Sunlight For The First Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
The video appeals very much to ones emotions, and one can argue that the reasoning for releasing such a video is to stur up emotions regarding the subject of animal testing. Although the video almost brought tears to my eyes, and really hit me with its intrinsic message, I really do think that the animals are invaluable in helping us in a myriad of ways.

Here's an article about these specific chimps' contribution to humanity:

...the chimps' were released from a facility in Austria where they had been exposed to diseases, like HIV and hepatitis, for purposes of medical testing. The animals, which numbered around three dozen, were moved to a reserve to live out their days following the lab's closing -- though adjusting to some semblance of normal has taken some time.

(...)Recently, the countless chimpanzees still kept in laboratories across Europe moved one step closer to the sunlight as well; last year, the EU passed new regulations which limits the use of animals for testing -- including an outright ban on great apes.

Here's a short snippet of how they first dealt with their freedom:

The chimps were moved to a farm where keepers tried to reintroduce them to life outside -- but the process was not easy.

The animals had spent so much time inside they were confused when shown patches of grass -- and repeatedly threw them away.

But finally their moment of freedom came. And their keeper Renate Foidl said: "The chimps are incredibly happy. This is amazing, I have been waiting for this moment for so long."

Source

But in the end, can we say if it really is worth it? Are we sacrificing a part of our humanity treating other living beings like this? Maybe... maybe not.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Really?

Come on Droogie, this is on the front page already.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Whoops, that's what I get from not visiting the front page more often, although in my defense, I did use the search function without any hits. Thanks for letting me know, I'll contact a moderator right away.

I beg your forgiveness ATS!!

Edit: I'd like to discourage anyone replying to this thread, and refer you to the existing thread located here: Lab chimps see the light for the first time in 30 years of being locked up..Emotional !
edit on 7/9/11 by Droogie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

No biggie..It has happened to many of us.

It is a sad, yet good story though.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Please use the existing thread to continue the discussion.

Lab chimps see the light for the first time in 30 years of being locked up..Emotional !

Thread Closed.

top topics

join