It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Terrible Truth About Facebook" (6th Aug'11)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Mods please move to the correct forum - I felt this one fit here because of the Social Issue Tag.

Here we have a very informative 2 min video about Facebook and the information that can be accessed from your account along with who is involved.

I personally feel this is an extreme violation of privacy and am quite horrified at what can be found out about you - especially noted in the last half min of the video.

www.youtube.com...

I know this won't be new to some members who are up to speed on these things and I myself always suspected this type of Social Network as being underhanded to say the least but here you can see exactly what can be found out about you and by whom!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Well it seems to me that giant sites like these (facebook, google, etc.) or rather the people behind them, don't always realize the negative impact they can have on society, is it really that they overlooked such consequences or greed blinded them ? I am not the one to judge but...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Like the old saying go's.. If you don't want it on the internet.. DON'T PUT IT THERE!.. It really is that simple.

As for facebook.. Everyone and there brother already knows there is no privacy on facebook.. So basically create a account at your own risk..

Edit to add: I mean the terms of account deletion say's it all..

How do I permanently delete my account? If you deactivate your account from your Account Settings page, your profile and all information associated with it disappears from the Facebook service immediately. People on Facebook will not be able to search for you or view any of your information. In case you want to come back to Facebook at some point, we save your profile information (friends, photos, interests, etc.) so that your account will look just the way it did when you left. A lot of people deactivate their accounts for temporary reasons and expect their profiles to be there when they return to the service.

So if you create a account after reading, they save your information.. Well that's a pretty stupid move to say the least..
edit on 6-8-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

You're right Tech - 'Don't Put It There' But I don't think everyone does know - just how far it can go and the kind of info they can get about you.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

one of the best posts i've seen to date. this YouTube should be required watching for all who have or are considering using FB.

it's not often enough we get so see behind the scenes truths.

i'm glad that most of the 'friends' i have on FB are false name/false info users. many people enjoy the games on FB and were wise enough to use bogus monikers when they signed up.

quedup i hope you continue to share this YT vid elsewhere. people need to know. star & flag for you!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
reply to post by quedup

one of the best posts i've seen to date. this YouTube should be required watching for all who have or are considering using FB.

it's not often enough we get so see behind the scenes truths.

i'm glad that most of the 'friends' i have on FB are false name/false info users. many people enjoy the games on FB and were wise enough to use bogus monikers when they signed up.

quedup i hope you continue to share this YT vid elsewhere. people need to know. star & flag for you!

bogus names or not.. IP address's can be traced..

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

There is a way to permanently delete your FB account, I did it about a week ago. You need to use a search engine to find the link though, I never found it in FB. You just need not sign in for 2 weeks and it supposedly all goes away forever after finding the delete account link. I'll test it out in a week or two to make sure.

Obviously deleting your account puts you on a list of possible miscreants and I bet your information is looked over closely to see what you're deleting and archive if necessary. Right? Haha oh they are sneaky buggers...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
Like the old saying go's.. If you don't want it on the internet.. DON'T PUT IT THERE!.. It really is that simple.

As for facebook.. Everyone and there brother already knows there is no privacy on facebook.. So basically create a account at your own risk..

Edit to add: I mean the terms of account deletion say's it all..

How do I permanently delete my account? If you deactivate your account from your Account Settings page, your profile and all information associated with it disappears from the Facebook service immediately. People on Facebook will not be able to search for you or view any of your information. In case you want to come back to Facebook at some point, we save your profile information (friends, photos, interests, etc.) so that your account will look just the way it did when you left. A lot of people deactivate their accounts for temporary reasons and expect their profiles to be there when they return to the service.

So if you create a account after reading, they save your information.. Well that's a pretty stupid move to say the least..
edit on 6-8-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

words of wisdom, TechVampyre. it may have been here on ATS where i recently read an online article of a company that records snapshots of millions of online social & networking site pages daily for future sale. i can't help thinking of the many young carefree people posting OMG anything & everything online. when the day comes that they actually give a hoot the point will be moot. one can deconstruct and remove their 'page' but it will already have been recorded and will be available to interested parties for a fee.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I can't add a great deal to this thread since I do not have an active Facebook account. I use it as a glorified address book type thing for people I know. I can't remember the last time I logged on.

I have however read countless reports, most of which are posted on ATS of how studies show how it's addictive, bad for your work prospects when bosses, potential employers look at your FB page and see your drunk ass smoking dope or whatever.

I've heard of US alphabet groups having involvement with Facebook etc...

All in all it really doesn't appeal to me to ever use it, apart from all that it's a colossal waste of time.

I haven't read the OP yet but I will once I posted this. I'm sure whatever it is won't surprise me, peace out.

EDIT: Watched the first minute so far have to add this. If you don't actually read the terms of service and just click 'Accept' or 'I Agree' then it's your own fault if you don't want your information spread all over the internet.

I personally am not narcissistic enough to care about telling everybody about 'ME ME ME ME ME' like, what music I like, sexual orientation, ethnicity, hobbies, favourite 'hot spots' or anything people generally post on Facebook.

edit on 6-8-2011 by AnalyticalDreamer because: Added EDIT:

top topics

join