It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania Restaurant Bans Children Under 6

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

I've got mixed feelings about this, I must admit...I guess little kids in restaurants never bothered me that much......though I do wish more Movie Theaters would do what this guy is doing!
So I guess I'm being a bit of a hypocrite. ........eh, I'm still free to be a hypocrite aren't I?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Quite right too. Adults need a place to eat with some relative
peace and quiet.

KID FREE

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Yeah, It's called stay at home and cook your own dinner. Kids shouldn't be excluded from restaurants, they have just as much right to eat there as the adults do. Parents need to teach their kids manners but It's not fair to punish the kids for their parents being #ups.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I'm ok with this. I think it'll probably help business too.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
They should just ban bad parents who are ultimately responsible for having
no control over their children

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Any private business or even public business reserves the right to service. This means the manager has the option to refuse service to any individual they wish. This is obviously tempered with the business model that any customer lost is lost revenue and thus has a very rare chance of happening.

This can fall under a lot of scrutiny but bars do not allow anyone under 21 to enter at certain times, strip clubs as well... do these places need to be charged with age discrimination?

The distinction is there and here, from reading the replies. Those in favor of it will eat there, those appalled by it won't and where those profit margins fall will dictate whether the place folds or is profitable to continue.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
the business owner has all the right to do so, instead of losing customers over this. i dare whomever opposes the idea to spend just half an hour with an infant crying like a car racing at full speed without shifting transmission.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
How is this different than "We don't them thar negros in OUR restaurants!" or "NO JEWS" outside of restaurants in Nazi Germany?

you really cant see the difference?

lol you dont know what your talkin about

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
Jesus, people support this crap? You aren't the only people on Earth. If you want to eat "in peace" cook a meal at home.

"I'd rather eat in peace" "I don't wanna eat with kids running around"

How is this different than "We don't them thar negros in OUR restaurants!" or "NO JEWS" outside of restaurants in Nazi Germany?

If I went to a restaurant and someone pointed at my kid and said "We don't serve those people here" I'd punch them square in the face.

If someone is being disrespectful or are disturbing other customers, tell them they have to leave. I guess blatant discrimination only works when people want it.

edit on 7/11/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

You're being deliberately obtuse and oblivious. You have a chip on your shoulder, and honestly, as a half-black, half-jew, your comparison is rather offensive.

Thank you for standing up for me, but I (and others) don't require your assistance.

I agree with most in this thread that parents these days seem ill-prepared to discipline their children, and instead ruin others time out.

To put it another way: people who made a conscious choice to live in a given society have also made a choice to abide by the rules, social and legal, of that society. By allowing ones children to run amok in an adult environment goes against established social norms in most areas. You make a choice, you live with it. If you are unable to- leave.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I agree I did not knock up some broad and have a loud mouth brat who wont mind , so why should i have to deal with someone elses kid when i go out to eat .

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Its like babies at a movie theater; BAD DAMN IDEA!! Some places kids do NOT belong. So I have to agree with this, I'm sorry if parents are mad, now, but hey, why should you make all the customers mad with your little kids being brats?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Now if only some other restaurants took this same route and let me enjoy eating my meal for once without having some whiney little kid crying over spilled milk.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I agree with the restauranteur's decision

I like kids (don't have any, never will) but there are parents who take advantage of the fact that they have children - such as the "can you do so and so for me or work a little past your shift because I need to do X with my kid"..
I put up with that foolishness for a few years on different jobs until I started saying NO.

It is not my obligation to love your children..it is yours.
Same goes for conduct in a restaurant.
I shouldn't have to listen to someone's screaming kid when I am paying a hefty sum for a meal.
Learn to control your children.
Try this:
When your kid starts to act up, ask them something that will make them shut their mouths and THINK.
I knew a cashier that worked at WallyWorld that on one occasion had a customer (mom) with a screaming kid in the cart. My cashier friend looked at the kid and said:
Honey, what are the names of all of Santa's reindeer?"

The kid all of a sudden went absolutely silent and you could see the wheels turning in the kid's head as he/she were trying to remember the names of all of Santa's reindeer.
It was classic.
edit on 12-7-2011 by PaganArchangel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Wow! Reading through this thread makes me now understand why a lady at Denny's once turned around and said "You have well behaved children." (ages 3,12) I thought that was a lil odd at the time but now I see why.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
A business owner has legal backing to bar any minor from their business for being a minor. They have leeway to choose the range of ages up to and including age 18 as long as they are reasonable about it.

The CRA covers race, creed, sex, and age, but in practice "age" is over the age of consent, generally 18. You people trying to evoke the CRA seem to forget that if it covered everyone for every reason we'd have 6 year-olds chugging beer and working in strip clubs.

If you don't like this restaurant owner doing this don't eat there.

/TOA

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
It's the beauty of a free market. If this is a bad thing, then it will drive people away and he will lose business. If it is a good thing, he will attract people and gain business. It all works itself out. It's a beautiful thing.

There's nothing wrong about it in terms of discrimination because it's for the reason that affects his business. It's like a casting director for a movie who can legally deny Caucasian people from acting roles that requires an Asian person.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I have no problem with banning children. As long as they let bars open themselves up for smoking? Without the government bans? If the smoking bans are not repealed,the heck with all of your concerns and anyone else.
Please let our our government dictate all of our vices, including food.
There are to many over weight people to begin with.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
So, how is this different than discrimination based on race? Children tend to be disturbing to others - ban all children. Blacks tend to be criminals - ban all blacks. I dont see any difference in principle.

There is a cognitive dissonance here. Why not ban disruptive children only? Or why not allow whatever discrimination the private owner wants, even based on race? Otherwise the law is not consistent.

Gee, hate to tell you this, but you want to believe Blacks tend to be criminals..most aren't but you wouldn't believe that anyway (I'm not and don't know anyone that is, lol)
I could stereotype and say that that all Whites tend to be sociopathic, intensly greedy, self - serving, predatory, xenophobic, imperialistic alcoholics and meth addicts with unusual attachments to firearms and ordnance (sarcasm)....
Point at someone else three fingers point back at you.
Troll back to Yahoo..they love folks like you

There is a difference in principle..
You just don't wish to see it.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuLife
Wow! Reading through this thread makes me now understand why a lady at Denny's once turned around and said "You have well behaved children." (ages 3,12) I thought that was a lil odd at the time but now I see why.

The restaurant I mentioned here in Phoenix, is frequented mainly by older childless or empty house couples who have put in the years and sacrifices of raising children. Because of the attitude the original owner had about children its a very quite place that sales good home cooked comfort foods. Several times these older couples, primarily woman have come to our table to say what a well behaved little girl my daughter is. Its been family owned and operated since 78, and its always a pleasure to go.
I don't want to give the impression that kids are not welcomed, as they are, they actually have a large wooden toy box that they fill will small donated toys for kids to play with and take home if they like.

I do have a slight problem with the restaurant, but well, thats a whole nother ball of wax
edit on 12-7-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Oh, I'm going to get slammed for this...

I believe it is the business owner's right to serve or exclude whoever he chooses, be it babies,
blacks, whites gays, Jews, or Christians. And then let the people who disagree vote with their
feet or exercise their right o carry a picket sign.

THAT is free-enterprise.

Note: I would NEVER patronize an establishment like that...in fact, I'd be more likely to carry
a picket sign and a bullhorn.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join