It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orlando Police at it again against the homeless.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

July 6, 2011

July 6, 2011 - The organization known as Food Not Bombs continued to share food in Orlando's Lake Eola Park in spite of over 30 of their members or supporters having already been arrested for it....

Orlando Police issue a Trespass Warning and Arrest for [Intent to feed].

when will the madness end?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
eat the homeless

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ray1850

How to solve the homeless and hunger problem?
Have the hungry eat the homeless

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Unbelievable
What's the big deal anyhow
The poor needs to hurry up and die fast?

So stupid, just let them have their damn food, how is this a threat to anything?
The police shouldn't even be there

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I think that guy doing the interview is mocking the police saying that the homeless are a group of Al-Quidas and that they're a terrorist group doing a vicious vicious crime.
I cracked up laughing on that one.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Unbelievable
What's the big deal anyhow
The poor needs to hurry up and die fast?

Well I can tell you why these laws exist down here, not that I support them.
Florida generates most of its income from tourist dollars, and homeless people congregate to this state because of the warm climate. They tend to frequent areas that attract tourists because of the crowds, and to play the guilt card against folks who are spending money on having a good time. Most cities down here have ordinances about them congregating in certain areas, and most now have “no panhandling” laws. After all, how can you keep up the appearance of being the “happiest place on earth” if you have people begging for food everywhere.

I doubt your going to get this to change though, the state has too much vested interest in the almighty tourist dollar and high income generating theme parks.

Edit to add:
Notice the guy in the green shirt, with what appears to be a white tree logo on the front? He’s the one signing all the trespass warrants. I am guessing that he works for one of the hotels, the convention center, or other such “tourist” local, and they are the ones who called police out there to begin with.

edit on 7/9/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Doesn't matter, tourists are always going to go to Orlando anyway. It's not hurting anyone, nor the state. I used to live out there. So, glad I left now. Because that is just ridiculous. Cops should have better things to do, like find missing children, catch the drug dealers, rapists, murderers, I mean seriously. What has this world come to that you can't help out your fellow neighbor?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I guess that what you're not understanding is that this was not the police’s fault. It’s the fault of the businesses, the people who complained, and the cities for writing the ordinance. You can call the police to have them trespass someone off your land for any reason, and the police HAVE TO enforce it.
edit on 7/9/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
I doubt your going to get this to change though, the state has too much vested interest in the almighty tourist dollar and high income generating theme parks.

And there's nothing wrong with that

But then the police should explain this to the group
So that the group could adapt and maybe gather enough funds to buy an abandoned warehouse or something

Them getting arrested isn't helping either of the parties and that is also not likely to stop, the isn't helping part I mean

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
How about you cannot just set up and cook and deliver food without proper health department inspections and silly little things like that. Put em in jail and destroy their supplies. So if they happen to poison the homeless then the county is libel because they let them do it without proper permits and inspections. Get over it

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
How about you cannot just set up and cook and deliver food without proper health department inspections and silly little things like that. Put em in jail and destroy their supplies. So if they happen to poison the homeless then the county is libel because they let them do it without proper permits and inspections. Get over it

You make a good point there. I would hope someone is not as stupid as to do such a thing to someone who is less fortunate than them.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

They have them, they’re called homeless shelters and soup kitchens.
Now if you want to buy your own piece of land out in front of the entrance to Disney, and set up a soup line, I doubt there is much that the city can legally do about it.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Unfortunately people do pull this kind of stuff on the homeless all the time, which has also been pointed out to be one of the reasons for the “no panhandling” laws. I have had people tell me that they have handed homeless folks fast food, then watched them throw it away right in front of them, and use that as an excuse to say that they are only interested in money. However, if you do any research into homeless folks, you’ll see that they will not eat food that is handed to them because people often give them tainted or tampered with food.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
To play devil's advocate here - What about the rights and safety of homeowners and businesses that surround the park? Not all homeless are "nice" people. Many became homeless due to drug addictions and alcoholism. Would you want homeless people congregating near where your kids are playing? How about trying to run a business with homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk in front of your store? Would it not hurt your business?
There's 2 sides to every story and this is no exception. We do need to treat the homeless with dignity and compassion but many need serious help. We need to treat addiction as a medical issue instead of law enforcement issue. The effects of drug laws are part of what makes many of these people homeless. They lose their jobs over drug arrests and everything else is just a domino effect.
Cops aren't the bad guys here, someone has requested that they enforce the laws. The politicians are to blame for creating a world were convictions equal profits at the expense of people and families. The solution doesn;t lie in more laws either or their enforcement, it lies in compassion and giving people a second chance.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The homeless are being used.to further Food for Bombs protest agenda
All that is happening is the media feeding frenzy which gets Food for Bombs the atention they want
They are war protesters useing any means they can to further their agenda

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by granpabobby
The homeless are being used.to further Food for Bombs protest agenda
All that is happening is the media feeding frenzy which gets Food for Bombs the atention they want
They are war protesters useing any means they can to further their agenda

That's Food NOT Bombs, you're comment should have began with "In my inexpert opinion..." & you also spelled "attention" & "using" wrong.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PinkAndBlack

Yea but you still got the point !
The homeless are being uesd .to further their agenda

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PinkAndBlack

If you want a career correcting other peoples' spelling errors you could waste an entire lifetime here and not even make a dent.

Spell check is not yet mandated by law, but give the politicians enough time......
edit on 10-7-2011 by Asktheanimals because: for spelling errors and ironic effect

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
im sorry but i cant get past the little girl walking up for her food. i would have to quit and couldnt arrest them. im sorry but i never felt any job or money was more important then that.

new topics

top topics

join