It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Ten Failed Countries of the Year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Every year, Foreign Policy magazine and the Fund for Peace do a survey of "failed states," nations whose citizens they judge to be in the most dire circumstances in the world — largely because of government mismanagement and outright abuse. The method they use to pick the failed states is fascinating, though the biggest state fails may not surprise you. Here are the states who ranked the highest in the Failed States Index, with their scores:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/62d4a9bdf421.png[/atsimg]

The following picture is the top ten states ranked on 12 different indicators ranging from social to military indicators.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd20eebedb32.png[/atsimg]

Slideshow with descriptions of each countries main issues
(some slightly graphic pictures)

ForeignPolicy.com

Source

edit on 26-6-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Hi again ATS!

Just ran across this and thought I would share with the rest of the class. That slideshow link in the OP is actually a good read. It gave me a nice little brush up on some world happenings I had forgotten about. There are also some interesting statistics on which countries have moved up and down that list. Iraq and Afghanistan are apparently improving for instance. Hope you enjoy.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Iraq and Afghanistan are both in the top 10 after the U.S. has been in both of them for roughly 10 years. When does my country get it's "Fail!" sticker and "Mook" tattoo?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Why isn't the US on the list?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

I'm sort of wondering that as well. When you consider the amount of time spent 'helping' the people in Iraq and Afghanistan, one would assume they could have made it into the tweens (shudder at that word) on the list. Then again I haven't looked back ten years ago to see how they were doing before. I would assume not as bad.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by FTD Brat

Probably because it's not a list of the top 10 blundering countries of the year

In all seriousness it's because we actually have it pretty sweet. Clean water, food, etc.

Reading through the troubles in those countries actually made me feel really blessed.

new topics

top topics

join