It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Invasion.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
There are many animals that exist in the British countryside that you may be surprised to see, there are over 3000 invasive species since the land bridge to Europe was inundated 200,000 years ago.Some are alien escapees or have colonised naturally others have been deliberately intnoduced either illegally or legally.Here is a list of some of the more interesting arrivals on our shores.
Wild Boar

Thanks to our taste for boar meat the wild boar is back in southern and central England absent since it's extinction in the middle ages, probably a 1000 wild animals exist today after escapes from farms(There is million in France).You may even see one walking down the aisle at your local co-op and knocking over the elderly . news.bbc.co.uk...

Wallaby

The Rednecked wallaby has lived in Scotland, Isle of man and England since at least 1900 some colonies became extinct though.But with hundreds kept by landowners to keep the grass short more escapes or releases are likely.www.telegraph.co.uk...

Lynx

The N Ireland lynx
Alien big Cats are definitely roaming our countryside The RUC shot a lynx in N Ireland there's another one shot and stuffed in Norfolk and a jungle cat ran over and stuffed in Ludlow.The Lynx probably became extinct in the 10th century.Rumour is it's being released in the countryside covertly and some were released because of the dangerous animals act 1976.bcib.wordpress.com...

Edible Dormouse

Called edible because the Romans liked to eat them and the Slovenians still do.Escaped from Baron Rothschild's private collection and now spreading it's range in the Chilterns. www.telegraph.co.uk...
en.wikipedia.org... (has a giraffe named after him)

Turtles

Red Eared Terrapins became popular in the late eighties(Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)and thanks to their capacity to outgrow their tanks have become widespread in Britain, i have seen three large ones my self in a local lake.Alligator snappers also www.telegraph.co.uk... I have heard that Americans hunt these in the mud with their bare feet feeling for the ridges on their backs, don't know if it's true or not ,i doubt they'd keep their toes long.

Green and Wall Lizards.

Wall and Grenn lizard bask togther.

Natives of Europe there is at least one introduced colony of Green Lizard in England ,these footlong lizards are expanding there range on the south coast, released by collectors.The smaller wall lizard lives on the south coast especially around Bournmouth(introduced to the US also in Cincinnati Ohio)

Eagle Owl

Very large owl said to be able to take down small deer ,is increasing in numbers after a pair nested on MOD land rearing 20 young one which was electrocuted.Unknown whether these birds were released or colonised naturally.en.wikipedia.org...

Parakeets

Several species are said to reside in London and other areas generally making lots of noise and stealing grapes.Some released by Jimi Hendrix.When English Nature allowed land owners to shoot them an environmentalist accused them of ''racism'' againt exotic immigrants. www.guardian.co.uk...
news.bbc.co.uk... www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 6-6-2011 by INQUISITION11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Nice pics...What do you mean "released by Jimi Hendrix"?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Good old NI. I remember my dad teling me bout a man calle Buck Alic, he used to walk his tiger down the streets of Belfast at night.
edit on 6-6-2011 by michaelmcclen because: grammar

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by INQUISITION11

Dude, why the hell have Alvin and the Chipmunks got Porky Pigs heads

And as a second line I am sooooooo glad there are no spiders onyour list
( a spider bit me on the arse once you know)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

The rocker Jimi Hendrix is also said to have released two parakeets as an alternative symbol of peace in the 1960s
reply to post by isitjustme

www.dailymail.co.uk...

There are several species so he's not responsible for all of them they also might be from the set of The African Queen with Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn filmed at Shepperton in 51.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Great thread, but i fear because of the title it wont attract as many people as it deserves.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
There are weirder animals in the UK than you mentioned above.

Many of these exotic animals are bought as pets and when the owner can no longer care for them they discard them in the woods or set them free.

A friend of mine has an Asian Leopard....im in the UK. (south east)

I watched a program on channel 5 called "Essex Jungle", it shows you what people buy as pets. Cobra's, Monitor lizards, all sorts of weird and wonderful wildlife down here

Have a look if you can...its pretty amazing what people call a pet :

Essex Jungle on Demand5

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ScepticDebunker

Yes thanks i'll take a look.I know there's some wierd animals out there i've heard of crocodiles, bears, puma and all sorts being found.There's even colonies of Aesculapian Snakes breeding on the London canal at Regent's Park and in Colwin bay.

join