It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smallpox stockpile could be destroyed; a look at what the virus wrought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Just browsing Google news and saw that TPTB are deciding to destroy the remaining reserves of smallpox. Now I have a basic knowledge of biochemistry and can say that we need the virus to properly maintain quality vaccines. Not to mention destroying it leaves us open to a range of deadly possibilities, how do they plan on destroying this deadly virus? My guess in a foreign country where it will likely go unnoticed until a minor outbreak occurs and innocent people die. Smallpox was once a very deadly disease now its been almost completely eradicated with only few outbreaks occurring in laboratory settings. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see this end up in a so called "terrorist attack" if this is to be destroyed.

International health officials are expected to decide this week whether to hold on to the last remaining stockpiles of smallpox, one of the deadliest diseases in history – or to proceed with their destruction.

The U.S. argues that scientists need access to the virus for just a while longer -- saying they need more time to develop antiviral drugs and vaccines in preparation for a potential terrorist attack that everyone hopes never comes. The Wall Street Journal explains the U.S. position, while also pointing out that other countries are convinced the risk of an accidental release isn’t worth taking.

At stake in the discussion – taking place at an annual meeting of the World Health Organization – are stockpiles at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta and at a Russian government laboratory.

LA Times - Smallpox stockpile could be destroyed; a look at what the virus wrought
edit on 17-5-2011 by Fester1882 because: Broke up the external text

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Its a classic game theory scenario. If the rest of the world (primarily Russia) agrees to abolish their smallpox stockpile we should do the same. However, there is a possibility that a country/faction will not destroy their stash, thus making it difficult for us to ever destroy all of ours. Interesting topic none the less, similar to nuclear debate.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Fester1882

I believe that even if we now destroy all stocks of smallpox, we could still recreate it from its genetic sequence (which was done sometime around 1994, I think).

The actual virus still poses a threat to us but now that we know its entire sequence, we can play around with its simulation in a database and never actually have to risk exposure or breakout of containment.

... and if another natural strain arose, we would know how to deal with it anyway.

So it would not neccessarily be a "game theory" scenario as proposed earlier.

edit on 17/5/2011 by chr0naut because: Better punctuation

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by andys

That is very true, I just have a hard time believing there's a lot of benefit to destroying our stock pile beside removing it from the Governments hands. Other than that the legitimate medical need for it in a outbreak is a necessity. Last time I checked Smallpox is still prevalent in third world countries therefore it wouldn't be hard for a global outbreak to occur. Especially in a generation of "Superbugs" that's are adapting to our anti-bacteria's, anti-microbial (and of course our vaccines) Quite frankly I'm surprised the MSM isn't taking this on. Despite the political grandstanding this could become a very serious issue very quick.

new topics

top topics

join