It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lotto Millionaire Still Using Food Stamps

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Here is the full interview with Leroy Fick when WNEM-TV reporter Bill Walsh went to Mr. Fick's front door.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
When he won the lotto he, like everyone else, knew taxes would have to be paid. That's how our country works, like it or not. You win money (be it the lotto, a game show, Oprah giving you a car), you have to pay taxes.

People like him (and, moreso, those who get food stamps and are drug addicts) make it much harder for those who truly need food stamps.
edit on 19-5-2011 by ffman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
A follow up on the story.

Now, local lawmakers across the state are calling for legislation that prevents lottery winners from receiving any public assistance.

Earlier this week, TV5 introduced viewers to Leroy Fick, a man who won $2 million on a Michigan lottery show and admits that he still uses his Bridge Card.

But the most shocking thing about the story may be that, according to the State Department of Human Services, it’s all legal.

“All loopholes in the law that allow such a ridiculous situation need to be closed immediately,” said State Rep. Joel Johnson, R-Clare.

Johnson isn’t the only lawmaker hoping to put an end to the loophole. State Rep. Charles Brunner D-Bay City and Sen. John Moolenaar, R-Midland also plan to introduce similar legislation.

DHS officials confirmed that Fick was directed to continue using the Bridge Card and that his eligibility was even recently reviewed and reconfirmed. The state officials blamed the loophole on the fact that the $850,000 lump sum payment Fick received is not counted in federal guidelines that determine eligibility for food stamps.

"Like everyone in Bay County, I am disgusted and appalled that the state would let a rich man take advantage of taxpayer dollars earned by hard-working people," Brunner said. "Residents have every right to be angry and outraged. The system is broken and it has to be fixed right now."

www.wnem.com...

Related
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I don't know, this is kinda upsetting to me. There are PLENTY of people out there that would be very happy just getting the 1 million dollors. I don't understand how someone would continue to rely on the other middle income workers to support them.

Are we even aware if prize winning tax money goes to the welfare system? If it doesn't, then to me, he shouldn't be on food stamps. What if that tax money goes to support something other than welfare?

Wouldn't the government use this money else where as it is not consistantly generated income?

Just a thought.....

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
My take on this situation is all benefits should be suspended once the money is gone he can reapply if he needs to. Lets face it he no longer has $1 million. After buying, a house, a car, clothes he might not have alot left. I would say all that would be around a half million. So he may have $500,0000 is left. Once he is down to $1,000 or $2,000 whichever is the current state minuim he can get the help again.
What if someone won the lottery and only won enough to buy a car or a house? I think anyone who wins less than $500,000; as long as they spend their money on a house and car they should be able to keep their benefits. What if a person only wins $500 in the lotto should their benfits be taking away for a small amount? It really should be more of a case by case basis. If the government came and changed the laws saying if you win any amount in the lotto then you will lose your benefits well their main customer base would be gone. The lottery gives people hope that they can win even a small amount of money. I don't play it myself but I don't see anything wrong with it. When I bought a ticket back in 1999 I remember it being $1. That is a real cheap investment if a person does it only 4 times a month.
I really feel that the taxes were too high. Why tax prize money at all? I see no need for it. If they have to tax it maybe a 20% or lower tax. The tax amount should be less than what the wealthy pay for sure.
After rereading an article I noticed he only offically recieved $850,000. I am betting that money is gone or very close to being gone. When you are poor you are so used to being worried about money that even when you get a large amount of money you still feel scared that you won't make it. So after rereading the article he may have less $200,000 left. That could last for 5-10 years depending on how he spends it but not for the rest of his life. If He paid off old debts he may have even less left. If he is still eligible for food stamps I am thinking he has less than $2,000 left.
edit on 21-5-2011 by dreamseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
A million dollars is no longer a lot of money anyways.

Maybe compared to what many may have, but I don't see the big idea here.

Anyone can have a million dollars if they invested properly.

Humans are just too tempted to spend, spend, spend on things of no real value.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Most of this makes me sick
My wife is getting garnished by our state for unemployment that she collected. Not only does she pay for that unemployment in the first place, she "qualified" for it when we both lost employment. Now they are garnishing her for more than they "gave" her, and we still "qualify" for food stamps
I disagree with the tax situation, but does this not make it even worse? I just wish....

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueInstinct

Also.. thats a pretty aged guy I think..

He probably wants to save as much money as he can. What if 1million dollars is all he has for the rest of his life? sure It will last him, but you can't exactly live the high life for too long on just a million dollars.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join