It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chatter about the 'good old days'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
You know how people are always saying the world is so bad these days and how it was better in the past? Isn't that just idle talk?

I'm not saying today's world is perfect, far from it. But I don't think it's any less innocent or safe, than the 1990s, 1980s, 1960s or 1360s. Actually I would say in some ways it's much safer.

Now, there are some really bad things unique to today - chemtrails and the NWO's plan progressing, for example. But normal human-on-human violence, like war, has believe it or not, declined. This is arguably the most peaceful time in human history.

I think the present always seems worse than the past because it's the reality and you can't idealize it as fiction. The Cold War is now seen as quaint and nostalgic, but the truth is it was a conflict that had the potential to be FAR more deadly than the 'war on terror' ever did. Today in Europe, medieval cobblestone streets look so cute, i mean I love them, but in the Middle Ages they were covered in sewage.

I'm not saying we should turn a blind eye to the problems today, but to say this is a horrible time and the past was golden, is ignoring the facts.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by descartes90

People do like to "accentuate the positive and forget about the negative" (to quote the song) when they stroll down memory lane. This is not necessarily a bad thing - it is not good to dwell on past mistakes, harbor grudges or carry around a Santa sack full of childhood dramas & traumas.

I'm glad there isn't poo on the sidewalks of Europe but the Earth is far from being a peaceful place regarding war. But mankind is descendant from warriors, from men eternally embroiled in territorial pissing matches & what-not. I'm afraid our hopes for a peaceful world will not come to fruition in our lifetime. TPTB do have their agendas and our young people are motivated by false patriotism instilled in them by the system we are born into. So off they go, thinking they are going to help someone somewhere. Some lessons are so incredibly painful.

'The good ol days' also goes with 'they don't make em like they used to', which is kind of funny. While we used to have American made cars that most willing people could work on themselves, they were also lacking in safety features. The old muscle cars had great speed but were lacking in the curves & braking departments while MPG was not even a factor to worry about.

Even though many folks love to hate on Big Pharma there has been great advancements of all sorts in Medicine, equipment, surgical techniques, etcetera. The days when mental illness went unidentified for many has dwindled greatly, and more people are getting the therapy and counseling they need.

I think the over-all quality of life has greatly improved for those lucky enough to be living in modern societies. There is a butt-load of wonderful items that are everyday conveniences we take for granted that did not exist when I was a boy. Toys and skateboards are more well made. Most folks have cell phones, PCs, laptops, the Internet, well engineered cars loaded with safety features & good MPG. Supermarkets are loaded with convenience foods for those lacking time or too lazy to cook from scratch. Easily scratched LP Records have been replaced by easily scratched CDs but we have a crap-load of gadgets we can download music on to, thereby eliminating the need to carry anything but a tiny music player.

In the 1960's there was only a handful of electrical appliances in most Kitchens; now we have electrical and manual gadgets without end! The list goes on and on. We've come a long way in a short time.

It really is good to stop and count your blessings sometimes.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I am glad you have a false perception of violence being down, however that is completely false, violence is at its highest in history, yes back then we had wars, even today we have so called wars, but human vs human in America is out of control, a sense or lack of community is evident, bullies in schools has always been around but not like today, have you ever seen the series gang land, all the big cities are under attack, drugs out of control, and the prison population is so large they often let them out early to make room, since there is not enough jail houses in the U.S.

So I say give me back the old days, when doors where unlocked, keys in the car ignition, every parent knew every child in the neighborhood, block parties and get to gathers nearly every weekend. These are just a few of the things we have lost in this day and age and it will get worse. the family unit has been destroyed on purpose by those incharge, and until we wake up and get educated in law, we are truly doomed.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by drmeola
I am glad you have a false perception of violence being down, however that is completely false, violence is at its highest in history, yes back then we had wars, even today we have so called wars, but human vs human in America is out of control, a sense or lack of community is evident, bullies in schools has always been around but not like today, have you ever seen the series gang land, all the big cities are under attack, drugs out of control, and the prison population is so large they often let them out early to make room, since there is not enough jail houses in the U.S.

So I say give me back the old days, when doors where unlocked, keys in the car ignition, every parent knew every child in the neighborhood, block parties and get to gathers nearly every weekend. These are just a few of the things we have lost in this day and age and it will get worse. the family unit has been destroyed on purpose by those incharge, and until we wake up and get educated in law, we are truly doomed.

Most of the innocence of the old days was due to ignorance. You didn't lock your doors because people weren't as paranoid as they are today, not because it was actually less dangerous. Crime is actually way down compared to the 70s, 80s and early 90s.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
www.disastercenter.com...

United States: Uniform Crime Report -- State Statistics from 1960 - 2009

Crime in the United States accounts for more death, injuries and loss of property than all Natural Disasters combined. The Disaster Center is pleased to be able to provide you with access to the statistics of crime compiled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
The staggering crime rate in the US has caused great concern. Various crimes can often be prevented with the help of a security camera. You can monitor your surroundings and record footage of suspicious activity with camera systems. Many small businesses are now acquiring these affordable systems to protect their property.
Approximately thirteen million people (approximately 5% of the U.S. population) are victims of crime every year. Approximately one and a half million are victims of violent crime.

Like I said live in your fantasy or face reality and it is going to get worse due the research.

Forcible Aggravated Larceny- Vehicle
Year Population Index Violent Property Murder Rape Robbery assault Burglary Theft Theft
1960 4,951,560 133,919 11,061 122,858 527 403 4,005 6,126 39,966 73,603 9,289
2009 18,537,969 825,551 113,541 712,010 1,017 5,501 30,911 76,112 181,884 479,867 50,259

edit on 14-5-2011 by drmeola because: to add chart

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Of course we arent safe. Our Govt tells us all the time that we arent safe. So much so, that we have all become suspicious of each other.
This isnt new to society though. I only have to reach back a few hundred years to find a couple of examples of this.

Didnt you know that during the great witch hunts, all it took was an accusation to get you burned alive?
An ACCUSATION!
Meaning all someone had to do was claim you put a "hex" on them and you were toast.
Very advantageous for people that wanted your land or your farm, wouldnt you think?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by drmeola
www.disastercenter.com...

United States: Uniform Crime Report -- State Statistics from 1960 - 2009

Crime in the United States accounts for more death, injuries and loss of property than all Natural Disasters combined. The Disaster Center is pleased to be able to provide you with access to the statistics of crime compiled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
The staggering crime rate in the US has caused great concern. Various crimes can often be prevented with the help of a security camera. You can monitor your surroundings and record footage of suspicious activity with camera systems. Many small businesses are now acquiring these affordable systems to protect their property.
Approximately thirteen million people (approximately 5% of the U.S. population) are victims of crime every year. Approximately one and a half million are victims of violent crime.

Like I said live in your fantasy or face reality and it is going to get worse due the research.

Forcible Aggravated Larceny- Vehicle
Year Population Index Violent Property Murder Rape Robbery assault Burglary Theft Theft
1960 4,951,560 133,919 11,061 122,858 527 403 4,005 6,126 39,966 73,603 9,289
2009 18,537,969 825,551 113,541 712,010 1,017 5,501 30,911 76,112 181,884 479,867 50,259

edit on 14-5-2011 by drmeola because: to add chart

You have to remember, fewer crimes in those days were reported.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

S&F, kinda reminds me of this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Enjoy

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy

S&F, kinda reminds me of this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Enjoy

Yes. I mean I love nostalgia, but you gotta be real about it and realize today isn't really that bad.

top topics

join