It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Deleting Linux

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I have a spare Hard drive with Linux Ubuntu on it, and i wanna delete the Linux so I can use that drive solely for music and what-not. But, Windows XP wont recognize that there is even a second HD installed... How do i delete Linux?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLife

Put your XP disk in and boot to it, press R at the option to go into the recovery console, type in fixboot or fix mbr to replace the linux boot file with the XP boot file.

Then, boot into windows and in the control panel, open the Administrative tools.

Go to disk management from there and format the linux partitions to ntfs partitions

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
On the assumption that you have a fully functioning XP system and have merely added a second drive then :

Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer Management
Disk Management

The drive should be there. Whether you re-format to NTFS or FAT32 is up to you although I have had less problems with FAT32 when using the same drive on different OSs

Personally I think you should be re-formatting the XP drive !!! But then again I'm a PCLinuxOS man (must admit I was not enamoured with Ubuntu).

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Thank you, will try these suggestions and tell if they work.
Thanks.
I would like to thank you both again, i got the drive to be..noticed... by windows and partitioned and formatted.
And, i really like Linux, but, my house hold is a little computer slow... And, i couldnt get Ubuntu to work properly with my SoundBlaster Live! sound card.
edit on 5/8/2011 by ShadowLife because: Thanks, and explanation.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Did you try the new Ubuntu 11 ?
the 10.04 had bugs 10.10 should be ok.
and you can use WINE.
it lets you run windows software and othere stuff?
but windows is so wasy.
for now.
one day soon Linux will make windows look like sheet.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I have just converted from Ubuntu to Mint-10 with no regrets - all looking good so far.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLife

Try PCLinuxOS, it is quite good at detecting all sorts of hardware. In addition it comes with all those pesky libraries that you need to read protected DVD's etc

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by majestictwo
I have just converted from Ubuntu to Mint-10 with no regrets - all looking good so far.

Just went from Windows Vista To Mint-KDE, had trouble getting some hardware installed (Graphic Card) but after that it has ran smooth..

Ubuntu is nice I only used it with live CD, but Mint-KDE is the way to go for looks.

Good idea on the second hard drive, I am planning on doing that too, I am going to get a USB to IDE/Sata adapter and use it like a flash drove,

Yard sales are good for cheep 20GB Hard dives, it is a good way to keep your files safe.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLife
And, i really like Linux, but, my house hold is a little computer slow... And, i couldnt get Ubuntu to work properly with my SoundBlaster Live! sound card

This is only the most supported series of soundcards for Linux...if it doesn't just work in Linux, you haven't given your user permission to use the device more than likely.

new topics

top topics

join