It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Storm cuts wide path through South, killing 31, damaging buildings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Storm cuts wide path through South, killing 31, damaging buildings

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Severe storms ripped through parts of the South on Wednesday, cutting a path of destruction from Texas to Tennessee that left at least 31 people dead in the region and damaged an untold number of homes and businesses, authorities said.

Even as officials assessed damage across the region, forecasters said another powerful storm packing high winds and the possibility of tornadoes was bearing down on portions of Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and eastern Tennessee
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
My thoughts and best wishes go out to the families.

I hate to say it, but it seems as if planet earth is responding like a living organism to the human threat. If only we could co-exist with her peacefully.

The planet is getting windier and stormier. Clear signs of the impending global warming crisis that is happening NOW.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
A terrible day to live out there. My condolences to everyone that died and to everybody who is currently living there, stay safe!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I fear this is only the begining of weather to come this year...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
i live in atlanta and its about to happen here. you can feel it in the air. the past couple weeks have been rough on us. very odd, this weather. yeah...mom's waking up. time to shake the fleas off. she's pissed!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This is just awful, everyone please try and stay safe. x x x

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I live in PA and for the last 3 days or so the weather has been NUTS. Lightning stikes every few seconds. So close that it's almost deafening. Hasn't stopped raining. I love it.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Here are some videos of the tornado. Reports coming out say it is an EF5 but I have also heard it could have been an EF4. Images out of Tuscaloosa, AL are horrifying, not a home standing after the tornado.

edit on 4/27/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

My thoughts and prayers are with them as well...

My heathly fear of tornados prevents me from storm chasing.

However...someone is fearless; does it, and here is a stormchaser video....

And this one is extremely scary! Its a close up!

edit on 27-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Wow, that is truly amazing; both horrific and beautiful at the same time.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
And is all still in progressive. Some of the reports I've seen are really devastating.

Seems like more and more I hear the words 'record setting' and 'worst (fill in natural disaster ) in history.'

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Global destabilization is occuring, and this is only the begining. Just think of how bad it will get in the coming years.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JackyMenace

Nasty weather is so much more interesting. Storms are so cool.

(So long as the power grid holds up.)

Yeah... it's all fun & games... and then a tree falls on your grandmother.

edit on 27/4/11 by SlackOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I am praying for the poor folks affected by nature's wrath. I really wish no one should be made to suffer these disasters.

What's more unsettling in that this line of storms has tracked north into Canada The Weather Network . com warned us about possible tornadoes all the way up near the Ottawa area... not that common an occurrence up here. There have been no reports of tornadoes touching down this far north due to this storm yet, and the warning was canceled 15 mins after it was issued. However the London and Toronto area

There were reports of three brief possible tornadoes from two communities southwest of Kitchener as well as Fergus. Moderate damage was reported at the Zellers and Canadian Tire in Fergus. “There have been some tree tops that ripped off and in the back of the Zellers building some of the siding has been torn off,” said Dave Patrick of ontarioweather.com. Patrick adds that people at the Canadian Tire also noticed the winds getting stronger and stronger and then things just started to break and tear.

I know this totally pales in comparison to what my friends in the United States are living through, I merely report it because Ontario is not a very tornado-prone zone and this year we've also been breaking rainfall records.

The city of Toronto, for example, has seen over 80 mm of rain this April, compared to the normal 62.4 mm for the entire month.

Rivers seem to be overflowing everywhere. It's obvious there is something wrong with all this 'out of character' weather.

Hope things calm down soon!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Very scary stuff. What is going on lately? Goodness..

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Just a minor update: IFpress reports today that Environment Canada is investigating several possible tornado touchdowns in South Western Ontario. I can't seem to find very much in the line of details regarding damage or injury, but one little girl suffered a broken leg in the Kitchener area.

Ontario rarely has tornadoes, they usually happen in the Prairies. At the Atmospheric Hazards Website there are maybe a half dozen entries since 1970's for the South Western Ontario area. They seem to have been increasing both in frequency and in intensity since 2009. There were some storms reported before that, but they were one or two, in later years we've been seeing more 'lines of storms'.

I'll post again when new information becomes available.

join