It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nut allergies stave off deportation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Nut allergies stave off deportation

www.winnipegsun.com

TORONTO - A Filipino family has been spared deportation because of a lack of medication in their homeland for two boys suffering from a life-threatening nut allergy.

Noly Mercado, 41, his wife Christine, 38, and their three sons were slated for deportation to Manila on April 7 despite the health issues of Nathaniel, 6, and Canadian-born Nicolas, 5.

The eldest, Norman, 11, doesn't suffer from the allergy.

"We are so happy," Christine said. "Now we can try to live a normal life and this is one less thing to worry about."

The Toronto woman said her sons require an epinephrine aut
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
"These are the type of people we need in this country".

Huh?

I thought the "Mercados arrived in Canada in 2004 and filed unsuccessful refugee claims and appeals".

So people that were found unacceptable in 2004 are suddenly the kind of people we need because one of the kids has a peanut alergy?

I'm confused as I normally am over Canada's BS broken immigration system. Does this mean we have to accept every immigrant because their home nation has crappy health care? Seems to be the precedent they set here.

Just when you think Canadian immigration couldn't get any worse they find a way to top themselves.

www.winnipegsun.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Yes it does mean that.

33 million residents, in the 2nd biggest country in the world. Anybody see a problem with that? If we want Canada to be a world leader in anything in the next 20 years then we NEED skilled workers and lots of em.

Now this story is a bit silly of course but that doesn't matter. Bottom line, we need it and any immigration is good immigration these days.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
They cannot go back because of a lack of medicine, but I'm sure they survived perfectly fine while they were there in the first place. Across the world it seems immigration policies of developed nations are failing and have been for some time, I just wish Governments would do something about it, instead of shying away because they are scared of being called racist.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Yes it does mean that.

33 million residents, in the 2nd biggest country in the world. Anybody see a problem with that? If we want Canada to be a world leader in anything in the next 20 years then we NEED skilled workers and lots of em.

Now this story is a bit silly of course but that doesn't matter. Bottom line, we need it and any immigration is good immigration these days.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

What is the point of the immigration systems if those found unacceptable are allowed to stay on a technicality? Like I said, it sets a precedent that if the health care from their nation is garbage then they must be allowed to stay in Canada for compassionate reasons.

Might as well just open the door and allow everyone in if thats the way its going to be.

Sorry to say but this Canadian has no compassion for rejected refugees. They were intially rejected because they did not meet the criteria immigration has set. Story should have ended there.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I was 15 and had lead a sheltered life when we imigrated to Canada. I still remember the Canadian immigration officer asking me which of the following sex acts I engaged in. As an adult looking back I have to say that it was very odd to have them ask all the members of our family that in one room. I'm sure mom and dad felt as weird about it as I did.

My dad used to joke it was easier to sneak in and claim refugee status then to come in legally.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

By whose standards are they unacceptable? That is the question that needs to be asked about our immigration system.

IMO if they are capable of working, and becoming productive and adding to the tax base which we all need more of in this country, let them stay.

What harm does it do?

They'll just all move to Toronto, and any self respecting Canadian hates Toronto

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

I'm ashamed to learn your were asked such an inappropriate question and in such a inappropriate setting. I don't see the relevance that line of questioning has in regards to immigration qualifications. Don't we live in a society that recognizes and accepts same sex relationships? Of all the dumbs things to worry about.

The sentiment behind your dads joke is echoed by many and its wrong thats the way things are run. I don't oppose immigration I just oppose letting migrants with fanatical religious or militaristic views into my country. We need good people and the system is failing.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

IMO if they are capable of working, and becoming productive and adding to the tax base which we all need more of in this country, let them stay.

What harm does it do?

~Keeper

So immigrants with radical religious/militaristic beliefs or criminal records are acceptible as long as they work and pay taxes?

If you can't see the harm in letting those type of people immigrate here you must have your eyes closed.

top topics

join