It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary unemployment rate for African Americans

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by American-philosopher

Thats why I named children with more 'not- so- lower- class' names....no offense to my race but we know how we do
reply to post by ButterCookie

Sorry I am not done reading all the post yet but I had to respond to this. sorry once again if this interrupts the flow of conversation.

So I did not know someone could have a lower class name I thought a name was a name. So I guess I will be sure to name my kids Tom Cruise and BIll Gates. Because those are higher class names right?? So now we have name discrimination to deal with??

The poster is referring to those crazy made up "black" names, like Laquanshiniqua. You know. Some of them are down right laughable, but it's sad because these made up "ghetto" names will make a hardship for these kids, and it will give them an negative ghetto image. Especially the males. Having a positive proper name in the US is for their own betterment. The only reason someone would use a crazy made up ghetto name for their child, is a self ingrained racist to not assimilate and self-segregate.
edit on 5-4-2011 by tom502 because: misspell

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
If you're white in today's time and you grew up in a nice little suburban home and don't admit you enjoy priviliges even at a basic daily level, every minority just doesn't, or worse don't even acknowledge that fact, or worst of all, are of the opinion that minorities are the ones with all the priviliges I don't know what the hell went wrong in your life to turn out as such a pathetic self-righteous spoiled loser of mindblowing proportions, but keep it to yourself. The weakness of your mind and character is embarrassing.
edit on 5-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

Originally posted by Hawking

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

Originally posted by i am just saying
Blacks don't work because most of them don't like to work (except blacks from other countries and not born and raised in America).

Their unemployment rate is self inflicted and always has been.

Glad you can speak for all blacks...

I've had employers tell me not to send anyone over who has "dreads"...

Yeah who knew dreadlocks would be an issue at job interviews..............

BTW most of the people I know with dreads are white

You must not know any black people then...

No I just know a lot of white idiots.

My college has a lot of young black and white people.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom502

The poster is referring to those crazy made up "black" names, like Laquanshiniqua. You know. Some of them are down right laughable, but it's sad because these made up "ghetto" names will make a hardship for these kids, and it will give them an negative ghetto image. Especially the males. Having a positive proper name in the US is for their own betterment. The only reason someone would use a crazy made up ghetto name for their child, is a self ingrained racist to not assimilate and self-segregate.
edit on 5-4-2011 by tom502 because: misspell

What I don't get is how these people that supposedly aren't very educated come up with these names and spell them correctly? If I wanted to name my child in the same vein as Laquanshiniqua is one thing, but putting it down on paper is another.
edit on 5-4-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
lol.......I'm gonna go ahead and put in bold blue text the two key points in your post.

Originally posted by satron

What I don't get is how these people that supposedly aren't very educated come up with these names and spell them correctly? If I wanted to name my child in the same vein as Laquanshiniqua is one thing, but putting it down on paper is another.

If you make a name up yourself, there cannot be an incorrect way to spell it. Just sayin'....

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Okay, no fair making fun of messed up names folks.. I might get my panties in a wad.
My name is so screwed up its spelled wrong on my birth certificate... only my CDIB got the spelling right. LOL!!

The names dont bother me in the least.. its the culture that I take issue with as Id stated pages ago. Its self destructive. As far as the names, I dont care what your name is, Im more than likely not going to remember it anyway or care.. as long as you work Id sign the paycheck going to Mishidrpepperdietcoke. Besides, I know a "Mercedes".. and she is a white like printer paper.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I agree with you, Advantage. How'd this discussion wind up in this ditch? No one has control over whatever God-awful name our parents come up with. There are plenty of "white" names that can scar a person for life. And middle aged/ over men with names like "Scooter" or "Jimmy"? The "upper" classes are *experts* in names from hell.
It just seems like a low blow.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrFake
lol.......I'm gonna go ahead and put in bold blue text the two key points in your post.

Originally posted by satron

If you make a name up yourself, there cannot be an incorrect way to spell it. Just sayin'....

Well...it's not like they name their daughter Deborah, and on paper it says Michelle.

LOL good point anyway.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Gee, when you get housing, free money, and more. why would you get a JOB. Scarey unemployment. Whats so scarey about it. I'm sure they have nothing to worry about. Just relax America, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tom502

The names matter. They specifically matter when you are looking for a job that requires a resume, when you are sending in a sheet of paper and you make the first cut without having the opportunity to look the hiring manager in the eye and create an impression on your own.

I've hired hundreds of people over the past couple of decades. I'm not interested in hiring someone who has a name that is a made-up name, a convention that is essentially equated with the ghetto and ghetto culture. Frankly there is too much competition. I've got no problem with ethnic names. An African name, for example I think is cool and I would not immediately toss that into the round file. LaChantrelle would get a get a smile and then tossed into the recycling bin.
As a hiring manager, I only have so much time and am not going to spend it to find out that LaChantrelle is a well spoken person who I think will do a good job and represent me/my firm well. Ignorant? Perhaps.

I am also going to toss Bueford, Billy-Bob, Betty Lou, and Cletus into the recycle bin.

Unless you're handing your kid a ton of dough, give him a name that will allow him/her to create the impression, don't give him or her a name that is going to create the impression for them. Its just stupid.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Just because a black person has a name that is not of traditional European descent does not make them or the name ghetto or inferior.

To think otherwise is racist, which just highlights the level of racism present here on ATS.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
scarey unemployment rate for african americans. free money, housing. why work when you get this when you come here. The gov't gives them at least this. an allowance, a place to live. So yeah, why work, that is why the unemployment rate for african americans who just got here is high. I came from africa, i get money, housing. if i were a black american i get nothing. tell me i'm racist.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MaryStillToe

I don't agree. As I mentioned, I would in similar toss out what I would consider "Hillbilly" names, those folks 99% likely to be white. I am not suggesting for one minute that someone with a non-traditional name is anything but someone with an non-traditional name. I am suggesting that there are more likely to be folks with those types of names that are not going to be good fits for the positions I am looking to fill than folks with names like John or Steve or Jennifer or Kathy. I am forced to use my time as wisely as I can and am not going to do something that I think has a higher probability of wasting it.

Here is another clue to reality. If you don't interview someone you can't be sued claiming that they have been denied a job because of their minority status. If you think I am going to increase the risk of having the EEOC come on down and sit down with me and explain why LaChantrelle, or Quintiffa did not get hired, I'm not going there. Been there done that. LaChantrelle and Quintiffa are simply not going to get the interview. Now is it possible that those folks could sue claiming that I did not interview them because I assumed they were black because of their names? I guess so. Its never happened to me although I'm sure it has happened somewhere. If it does, I guess they'll take their shot and try to prove it. I don't give them a high probability.

Second clue. If I see someone is listing interests as something blatantly related to an activist organization of any stripe, be it some anti-abortion crusading outfit, gay rights shop or black power deal they are not getting an interview either. I'm not interested in bringing someone on my team who spends their time in divisive pursuits, whether or not I agree with them or not.

Again, there is just too much quality talent out there to take the risk of ultimately putting up with the BS.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Reading most of the comments here it really is a good thing that America is on the verge of total collapse.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
'Black' Names a Resume Burden?

The authors took the content of 500 real resumes off online job boards and then evaluated them, as objectively as possible, for quality, using such factors as education and experience. Then they replaced the names with made-up names picked to "sound white" or "sound black" and responded to 1,300 job ads in The Boston Globe and Chicago Tribune last year.

Previous studies have examined how employers responded to similarly qualified applicants they meet in person, but this experiment attempted to isolate the response to the name itself.

White names got about one callback per 10 resumes; black names got one per 15. Carries and Kristens had call-back rates of more than 13 percent, but Aisha, Keisha and Tamika got 2.2 percent, 3.8 percent and 5.4 percent, respectively. And having a higher quality resume, featuring more skills and experience, made a white-sounding name 30 percent more likely to elicit a callback, but only 9 percent more likely for black-sounding names.

Even employers who specified "equal opportunity employer" showed bias, leading Mullainathan to suggest companies serious about diversity must take steps to confront even unconscious biases - for instance, by not looking at names when first evaluating a resume.

Racist or not, the fact of the matter is that by naming your child LaShaquenisha, you are severely limiting her chances at economic success. Plain and simple.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Epiphron

Well...if employers dismiss applicants upon a banal fact like their names sounding " ghettoish " how is it black people's fault for not finding jobs again?
edit on 6-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Ummm, maybe by giving their kids the ghetto names to begin with......
Not that hard to understand really.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

What does the name have to do with the value of an applicant?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

What a day it will be when the world is finally rid of such mindsets. I know you can't do much about it, you being a bigot and just going by that bigot intuition. You don't have time, that's okay, the future of business doesn't have time for ridiculous ways of conducting business. See it this way; keep throwing them out(HR are the most terrible people in business, hands down - racists, self-hating racists, bigots, and just completely ignorant buffoons) based on NAMES, as you see fit.

But don't forget,

You're a dinosaur and the meteor is about to hit.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dude69

Names play a roll in life, from people to products. If a persons name equates with uneducated ghetto trash and the person never meets in person to change that impression, who's to be blamed? They put the label upon themselves as a collective group and now have to live with the consequences. If their parnts choose to help keep them down by giving them such a name to begin with, I fail to see how they can blame "whitey" yet again. It's self imposed stupidity that helps keep them down.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join