It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people in America like to think they're better than everyone else?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ATC_GOD

Out with greed and individual and focusing more on the unit... What is good for the group..

Sounds like the makings of a dystopian society to me. No thank you.
No individual rights. No freedom.
Know individual rights. Know freedom.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Why do people in America like to think they're better than everyone else?

If you can't BE better, what's wrong with at least trying to think you are with enthusiasm.

Kudos for trying and respect for the things you are good at.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Fake it, till you make it!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by nerbot

Fake it, till you make it!

If you can't convince them, confuse them..

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
That American notion of "we're better than everyone else" is part of the pablum that is fed to the masses to keep them happy and content; even if they are only making minimum wage, have no health care benefits and send their children off to die for the sake of ensuring the wealth of the rich and unscrupulous.

Fortunately, I do think that there is a partial awakening in the states and more people than ever are questioning the party line and taking a good hard look at what is really going on. I do appreciate the angst of my neighbours to the south as they examine their imperfections. Welcome to the real world.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

As I stated in the post you responded to, I am ashamed of feeling as I do about breeders.

How many of those children have you had die while in your hands.

I've been on many medical missions and have held dieing babies. It's a thing I will never forget.

But that is not the subject of the thread.

I am not ranting; just stating the way I feel about all people that bring babies into the world with no hope of surviving.

The people of Japan and Germany are people to be admired for their keen minds.

Other countries have people with admirable traits also.

In my opinion we earned the term, Ugly American.

I stated that I have never felt better than any other people.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It could be our complete dominance in economy, entertainment, sports, military, and everything else over the past 100 years. It could be our relatively care-free, "free", and prosperous society. It could also be the millions and millions of foreigners that risked their lives, gave up everything they had, and/or flat out abandoned their native country to travel to America to enjoy all the freedoms and opportunities that we take for granted. Most likely though, Its the natural love and loyalty that comes with identifying with one's country. People from almost all countries experience this.

I love my country, and even though I hate how we have been governed and how our society has been demoralized it is my opinion that we are without a doubt better than anyone else. This is not to say I couldn't work with, associate, or even befriend a person form another country, because i do. I just have a lot of pride for America. I expect everyone else to have pride for their roots and country of origin as well.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ariess

I expect everyone else to have pride for their roots and country of origin as well.

Nah, I was born in the UK but live in Australia..
Australia is my home and I love it...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

HA! It's not just other ethnicities/cultures that they feel this way about, they also think they're better then most of their fellow Americans and it's really been irking me lately. If I was God, well lets just say, be thankful I am not and I don't have the powers He does cause it sure be a heck of a lot worse than the flood of Noah's time. I am so full of these people's superiority complexes. I really feel sad for them, because they gotta put down other people to feel good about themselves!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Why do Europeans think Americans think they're better than everyone else? Just because not everyone loves to travel, or because George Bush was elected? Because most Americans are not atheist or many are not progressive?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by Ariess

I expect everyone else to have pride for their roots and country of origin as well.

Nah, I was born in the UK but live in Australia..
Australia is my home and I love it...

Ditto, Me to - same feeling
My kids could not have achieved what they have here - if you think America is the land of opportunity think again its pretty good here too.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Well you can't hate the roots without hating the tree, but yea I guess I should have said the country that they identify with. Its really what I meant sorry.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I thought everyone thought their own country was the best?

If not, why not? You might as well. You live there.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Because we are.

And Texans even doubly so!

just kidding . . . saying because we are.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

If I thought it was the best or even good for me, I would not be trying to leave it.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
The problem is, is that to most individuals who never have had the experience of visiting other countries and acclimatising to the people and the culture, will generally have a limited amount of thoughts when it pertains to people from other cultures. So, when someone mentions a country's name, all an uneducated person will have are a set of stereotypes, and that is all they will be able to express in reaction to a question about people from different nations. It is ironic, that many cultures are adopting western consumerism, however, the country that the culture emerges from has little to no recognition towards the countries that are championing them.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Geez , aren't you Really talking about the British Ruling Class here ? To them , Americans are Peons ......

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
There's an abhorrent number of sick crimes that are committed in the U.S each year that come to mind, and some people say it's due to the number of people that things like that are likely to happen...but...if you have less people, but include years and years of nothing of that nature happening then you have to think twice, if you know what I mean. How can they be better than other country's if they allow/do commit crimes of such nature.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
The United States used to be the land of the free; When it was a republic.

Democracy has taken the freedom from the American people. Ask your self this: Would the American people vote to have their freedom restricted?

No.

Only the government would vote for such a thing in a democracy behind closed doors.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
reply to post by bsbray11

If I thought it was the best or even good for me, I would not be trying to leave it.

I have travelled the USA many times and perhaps been around the place more than the average Joe American - I'm lucky. There are lots of lovely places to visit but if you asked me to live there I wouldn't. Probably because as this thread title suggests.

Many none American people I have spoken to over the years believe that America hasn't gotten where it is today without the "cash" and help of European technology, but that's partly another story.

I an thinking that (thread title) will diminish over then next few years as most realise in the USA they are not.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join