It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The only real wisdom is knowing you know nothing"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I wanted to start this opening with one of my favorites quotes: "The only real wisdom is knowing you know nothing. - Socrates".

Which is very true in my eyes, the older i get the more i realize that, even though i am educated and working in a major IT company, i know nothing more but the "limited" educations, courses, and experiences that where taught to me. And compared to the "unlimited" vastness of knowledge, wisdom, etc... really, i really know only a fraction, but that is a discussion for somewhere else.

Anyway, i joined ATS after lurking a loooooong time and finally wanted to join in the discussions. I lived in Holland (The Netherlands) almost my whole live but the past couple of years i have been living in South Africa. I was getting tired of Holland and Europe trying to be more and more like America so i decided to move after i received a good job offer. And i must say, its been the best decision and move ever for me. Africa is an amazing continent and the people here are much happier compared to the people in Europe even though they have everything in Europe compared to most of the people here. The people and the continent really brightened up my live and also taught me to be more happy then i ever was.

My eyes started to open in the late 90's when i started using the Internet more and more, reading (let me call it) "alternative" news. I have a open mind and try to read everything i get my hands on, from ghosts to the Annunaki to Atlantis, alternative universes and newly discovered creatures from the deep sea. I hope to bring a new opinion to ATS and get to know some of you. If somebody is interested into adopting me and showing me around ATS, then you are more then welcome to do so.

I want to end with something that most people don't do enough in their lives:

"Don't worry, be happy - Bobby McFerrin".

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Welcome, I can't really show you anything on this site you don't already know, as I have basically been doing the same thing and lurking for a long time. I just started posting not long ago, but haven't started a thread yet. Anyway, welcome and enjoy!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
well i honestly think socrates thought too hard on that 1 and craped himself and out came his brain. and than he said "i drank what?"

i like my quote of his better!!!
edit on 2-3-2011 by SpunGCake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Spinvis

Hi Spinvis, and welcome to the Introductions Forum of the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's)Private Messages to Staff only. Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Terms & Conditions Of Use

Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Background images

Signature Guidelines

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Super-Moderator.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The wisest man of all time:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS!

Sounds like you are a truth-seeker. So am I.

I give you an advice to read the book Zhuan Falun in my signature below.

The book deals with all the mysteries of human life, how to become a good person, opening your third eye, developing your supernormal powers etc etc.

And that is why the book became forbidden in China after being a bestseller and that is why all people practicing Falun Dafa are persecuted by the communist party since they become so powerful from the practice.. We all need to assimilate to the characteristic of the universe to become truly happy.

I believe the true characteristic is:

Truthfulness Compassion Forbearance(the base of Falun Dafa self-cultivation).

I add a few quotes from Lao Zi(also written Lao Tzu), the founder of Taoism:

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.

One can not reflect in streaming water. Only those who know internal peace can give it to others.
Lao Tzu

Good luck in Africa, I believe people there live closer to nature, hence they are more happy.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies, lol @SpunGCake, Socrates wisdom is indeed amazing haha... @VictorVonDoom, unfortunately i am not familiar with Hogans Heroes at all, thats a little before my time. @Gaussq, thanks for the comments and book, Buddhism is probably the only "non-religion" / philosophy i could dedicate myself too compared to the other religions/believes.

join