It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers, laws prohibiting smoking in public buildings do you agree/disagree?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
As a smoker myself, it makes no difference to me as long as they are making it more difficult to smoke. For all I care, make them illegal.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

I agree 100% that there should a permanent ban on smoking in public and private buildings.

I tried smoking for all of about three weeks and promptly quit.

On top of this working at McDonalds back when I was 20 to 23 a majority of my co-workers smoked.

Now, you try to eat, on your lunch break, when every other employee runs like mad people during the slow session at work to all take their smoke breaks, simultaneously, it royally sucks, let me tell you.

About 6 months after I had it, and screamed my damned head off at these people, they were talking about this law.

I just smiled.

Sorry, you can do whatever you want to your body, within the law, but ruining my lunch and my breathing experience is a no go.

That is just rude as Hell.

Especially when more than one person is doing it.

They were lucky because one day I planned, but never carried out, showering them with the dish hose.
edit on 2/22/11 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

If the building is private property, such as a bar or resturant it should be the owners choice. If they lose business because of it, thats their problem, but the government should not come in and dictate that policy. If you don't want to be there, leave.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

I agree, where I don't agree is the outside non smoking fire that's spreading through the country, when outside in open air there is hardly enough particulates in the smoke to affect an ant underneath you!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I think that smoking should be banned in all public places.

I think that most smoking bans have got it the wrong way around, and that private businesses, such as pubs, clubs, and restaurants, should have the right to allow smoking on their premises if they want to, just so long as they state clearly whether they are a smoking/non-smoking establishment on the entrance to their business.

I know that people say that smoking in an unenclosed space doesn't affect other people, as the smoke rises, but this isn't always true, especially in a very crowded area.

There have been many times where I've breathed in smoke fumes outside when I've been in close proximity to a smoker who has exhaled, and it has hit my nose and mouth before its rise into the upper reaches of the atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It`s a shame because of the smoking ban, not as many people socialize nowadays.
I agree, it`s no good for you and it smells.
But before the smoking ban, we were used to the smoke so the smell wasn`t as recognizable.
I miss going the pub, playing cards without interruptions form smokers having to now go outside for ten mins.
The social clubs are empty, as is the pubs.
The bingo halls are emptying and closing.
You go to a family party and smokers have to stand in the garden.

I think it`s a law which is wrong.
There was never a problem until a group got together and brought up the subject of passive smoking.

In the fifties and sixties we had factories with chimneys, houses with chimneys. Smog.
Doctors, patients and visitors smoked in hospitals.
There was smoke everywhere !
Never heard of passive smoking.
How many kids had cancer those days ?
Never heard of people dying from passive smoking.

Load of balls. Not enough proof for me.
They told us.....we believed them.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

Sounds like you are catching up to what most of the world has been doing for a while now. Its good to not smell stinky smoke and if your a none smoker smelling smokers cloths - yuk

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I am a smoker and I feel like it's just so rude and inconsiderate to subject non smokers to it, I don't even if they say they wouldn't mind. Absolutely not in a closed car. As far as public buildings are concerned, I think not in public areas, but if it happens that every person in an office (a small office- obviously) smokes, and they invest in (a) filter(s), individual offices should be able to decide for themselves. I'm ambivalent about smoking sections in restaurants/ on patios. When I was in my 20s, my lungs were just completely fried after a night out.

I don't think it should be mandated by law. Social pressure, once upon a time, kept our standards up. Unrealistic as it may be, I wish we could return to genuiner civility and polite manners.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I'm a non-smoker. I've never taken a drag from a cigarette in my life and I don't plan on ever doing so.

But that's my personal choice. If I don't like the smell of smoke I walk away.

In BC we've recently had legislation passed to make smoking outside at beaches and parks illegal, along with our public transit stations. I find this ridiculous because someone smoking a cigarette is less harmful to me than the bus idling at a stop blowing its exhaust right in my face while hundreds of other vehicles drive by doing the same.

These legislations also have a far broader effect than most have considered, even myself. In trying to find a care home for my grandma, not a single one allows for in room smoking. At most, they offer something along the lines of an outdoor gazebo. I don't think it is at all fair that my grandmother is penalized for a habit she's had for over 65 years.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
As a smoker, I have no problem refraining while in a public place. I do however find it odd that I can sit in a restaurant and not smoke, out of repsect for others, and yet watch a couple at another table throw back several ädult beverages", knowing one of them is going to be driving home. . .

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I smoked from when I was 16 to 22. I've since stopped. I can't recommend anything good about cigarettes. The best part was once you've had a cigarette you don't need another for a short while. Sure it felt better after I'd had a smoke but that was only because I hadn't had one in a while. I would support legislation to make cigarettes illegal.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I think smokers should be allowed to smoke in bars.. But other places should have a smokeing lounge away from non smokers..2 years ago here in Minnesota they passed the no smokeing bill you cant smoke anywhere but outside or in your home or car..But now there haveing to look this bill over because the smokeing ban in bars is causing the bar owners to lose to much money.. people like to smoke when they drink ..They were allowed to set up a smokeing area outside away from the building but who wants to smoke outside when its 20 below..I also think in your car it should be up to the owner but yeah don't smoke in a small confined area like that if you have kids in the car..I'm also a non smoker Ive never smoked my husband is a smoker but he never smokes in the house he goes to his man-cave the garage in the winter and smokes outside in the summer so it all works out for us

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I, too, tried smoking, SKL. All my friends did it, but it was just too nasty tasting and smelling for me. As much as I tried to be like everyone else, I couldn't do it.

In my favorite restaurants, you aren't allowed in if you even SMELL like smoke.

No smoking in bars, but they all have outdoor areas that are shielded from the elements.

Not my rules but they suit me just fine.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

We have a similar situation happening here in BC because not only do people have to go outside but they have to go between 6 - 10 metres away from entrances to smoke. When the legislation was originally passed many bars and restaurants invested in renovations so that they could provide smoke rooms with separate ventilation but the government stepped in and put a stop to that fast. I don't see why that can't be an acceptable solution.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I think it should be left up to a company's policy; I don't mind not smoking in public places, but it does iritate me not to be able to enjoy a cigarette with a pint of Guiness.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tharsis
I, too, tried smoking, SKL. All my friends did it, but it was just too nasty tasting and smelling for me. As much as I tried to be like everyone else, I couldn't do it.

In my favorite restaurants, you aren't allowed in if you even SMELL like smoke.

No smoking in bars, but they all have outdoor areas that are shielded from the elements.

Not my rules but they suit me just fine.

It was not the smell or taste which made me quit during the trying stages of smoking.

It was the feeling of a complete lack of energy and I felt useless afterwards for 20 minutes.

That is from a lack of proper oxygen, the nicotine which robbed me of adrenaline, and it calming me far too much.

Then again I am a workaholic and adrenaline flows high working in food service.

And I need every advantage I can get when working and trying to hustle my butt off to get the job done.

Smoking was a waste of my time and money for those short three weeks.

It was not about "being cool" like everyone else for me because I'm not a "joiner" in groups.

I do something, I do it to try it, based upon evidence I dug up on the topic and find out for myself.

Period.

At the time I needed something to de-stress myself and it worked, a little too good, if you ask me.

I was working 100 + hours a week between two jobs.

I've worked 2, 3, and up to 4 jobs simultaneously.

Again, I need nothing to slow me down, I got over the stress and figured out how to channel it into more productivity.

I have no issue with people smelling like smoke around me but it is a hygeine issue.

If I see someone who's fingers look like their jaundiced with tobacco smoke and yellow hair and beard, and smell it, I know I'm dealing with a lifetime smoker, and as well usually a chain-smoker, and I know their habit will get in the way of my work ethics.

Usually.

I've seen one or two people who were the exception to that rule but most smokers I've worked with, their nicotine habit, always got in the way of their ability to work, and or I never never find them when I needed help at work, because they were on a smoke break.

I do not think restaurants should discriminate against people who smell like smoke.

I do however think they can and should refuse to serve them inside the restaurant.

Non-smokers do not want to smell a crappy habit while trying to enjoy eating their meal.

I do not come into your house, nor do I sit next to you in a restaurant, and take a huge steaming dump, and ignore it.

In other words, I don't want to smell your crap, so why would I expect you to smell mine?

I think I've made my points quite thoroughly in this thread.

I have no issue with smokers, smoking, while in a bar.

But then again I do not drink alcohol at all.

That is another topic for another thread unless someone replies to my post about that.

I see smoking as a slow form of suicide and committing suicide is against the law.
edit on 2/23/11 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

I live in Florida and you havent been able to smoke in restaurants for over ten years. Personally I dont want to be eating dinner and smelling smoke and I am a smoker, socially mostly but I still dont want that smell when I am enjoying dinner. You can smoke in bars here and most bars here have an inside section and outside section. The inside section however you can't smoke in because it is also a restaurant. If more than 50% of business is food there is no smoking allowed.

I can take it or leave it. Im not a big smoker. When I didn't smoke it didn't bother me that others smoked and when you could smoke in restaurants they had a completely separate section for smokers. I worked at one restaurant that had the smoking section totally separate and people STILL complained just for spite about it. Funny thing was the smoke NEVER affected the non smoking areas, people just wanted to complain for the sake of complaining. Our manager told one group that if they didn't like it they were free to leave and their meal would be on him. I was shocked but he had a point. The people were on the other side of the restaurant in a totally different room separate from the smoking area, the smoke would never be an issues there but they still complained.

I think if you are in public and want to smoke where the majority doesnt it would be nice to ask if it's ok. I do this because if I am the only one smoking I don't want to piss anyone off because of my crappy habit. I tend to smoke when i drink so I am usually in a bar but even then I ask the people around me if they mind and if they do I don't smoke.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I am a smoker, however I feel that in public places such as restaurants and theaters and any place that is family oriented that smoking should be prohibited. I DO NOT however, agree with banning smoking in bars or any other type of nightclub facility. I smoke in my own home, in my own car or at my friends homes (if they are smokers as well) Otherwise I take myself and my cancer stick outside away from groups of people to enjoy it so I don't bother or harm anyone else. It is my RIGHT to choose too smoke, but it is also my responsibility to make sure that even if I'm harming myself that I do not harm OTHERS.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join