It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Older and Seasoned Members among us, if you could go back to your 20's, what would you do different

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Would have stayed in med school, traveled more, and never gotten married. But to be honest, I don't think I'd want to go back to those days. The 80s were scary times, with AIDS and terrorist attacks and nuclear threats and crazy natural disasters—oh wait. Hey there were good times too. Just wouldn't want to do it over again.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'm 27 --------> rolling back to when I was 20 -------->
Knowing what I know now.....I would definitely spend more time with my family......invested in gold......keep my first car (one I'm driving now is fantastic, but I could save ton of money not buying it) absolutely buy some Apple stock (prior to the official anouncement of Iphone), join ATS

Wife and kids......I'd have seen those kind of situations long before I hit 20......go figure

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_0bserver85
keep my first car (one I'm driving now is fantastic, but I could save ton of money not buying it)

AAAAAAMMMMEEEENNNN, my first was a bargain, no problems at all, low mileage, luxurious; but I've always been fairly impulsive (gotten a lot better recently) - so when I found out the bank would lend me money for an impreza I sold my car to a mate even cheaper than what I got it for.

Now I'm paying a car off that I didn't need, which I think has cost me more since I got it than my first has cost the mate that bought it off me..
edit on 18-2-2011 by ballsdeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Out of curiosity, how many people here who are saying they regret getting married are still married?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Would have gone to school sooner, stopped acting like a idiot & invent the internet!

Seriously though, it's always bothered me that I waited until I was 31 to go back to school
when I should have done it when I was 21.

All you youngins are going to get some sage advice from this thread.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
To be honest I can't believe I made it through my 20s at all. It was a seriously messed up time for me in many ways. I got to do a lot of traveling to unusual places, I guess that was good. Most of the rest is probably better off forgotten by all concerned.

I wouldn't change much, because I'm more or less happy with life now, so I'd be worried how retroactive changes would impact that. But two specific points that leap to mind: 1) I would have spent less time earnestly listening to, playing fair with, and trying to learn from people who I now realize were just out to manipulate me; and 2) I would worry a lot less about what people thought of me, realizing now as I did not realize then that most of the time, people aren't thinking anything about you at all.

edit on 2/18/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
If I could go back to 20 yrs old, I would finish high school, went to college, and invested in a large amount of property to farm and live on. I think the most important thing to you as you get older is the security of having a home that is paid for. If you do it right, you could have that done before you get to your 40's, that would be just great! And learning to farm, raise animals and food at the same time, that would be the life!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
If I had a $6000 note on one of three houses before I was 40 that together are worth $130000.... My Ex inherited millions decided she would hire a dirty lawyer and take it all while I was in a VA hospital going through a treatment program for service connected PTSD.... I live in a double wide and she has the house at the private resort community that my money paid for.... Her reason was that she didn't know I was damaged goods when we married... I think I would have opted out of being a Marine and a husband and just moved into the woods earlier and built an underground earth ship type house before my health got bad and enjoyed more of the company of the wild women in this area than I have otherwise.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Im 33 and if I could go back to my early 20's I would start a career rather than just have a job. I would make sure I took the chances in life that I passed by or missed. I would also put some money away and not p*ss it up the wall by getting smashed every weekend hitting the town, but then come to think of it, it was fun times, but I do often look back and think what if. But its never too late as they say, but times ticking away

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I would have done lots of things differently.

I would have been a better son to my parents. Too late to change that one.

I would have gotten in good shape and taken playing football in high school a lot more seriously. Wasted talent.

I would have continued on playing and writing music as a full time deal. Doing what you love really is what is important in life.

I would have avoided the corporate rat race all together. It is a dead end street of abject misery.

I would have spoken up instead of biting my tongue and I would have told my brother that the woman he was about to marry was a useless, money grubbing sack of skin.

I would have spent more time with my grandparents while they were still here.

I would have studied and/or lived abroad for at least a year or two. Once you get caught up in life and responsibilities it becomes more difficult to up and go.

I would have been a lot nicer to myself and those around me.
edit on 2/18/11 by BlackOps719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I got really upset when I read this..
Im only 21 and I am a mum... I have a little boy who is 8 months, im not doing anything really with my life, i feel like i cant do what i want now because of him ..i love him to death, but i feel like i have to put my life on hold now

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ellbell
I got really upset when I read this..
Im only 21 and I am a mum... I have a little boy who is 8 months, im not doing anything really with my life, i feel like i cant do what i want now because of him ..i love him to death, but i feel like i have to put my life on hold now

One of my best friends is in his early 40s and the last of his 3 daughters moved out this year. He says he is very thankful he raised wonderful children when he was young and full of energy. Now he is still relatively young, the kids are all grown up, and he has many years ahead of him to enjoy a new lifestyle and try new things.

It may seem far off to you now, but in the grand scheme of things, 40 is still young. When you are in your 40s your son will be an adult and if you are a good parent and with some luck, you will have achieved something very good in life, raising a strong and good son. You will then be able to embark on a whole new phase of your life.

My best wishes for happy and safe motherhood. You are still really young so it will be hard for you in many ways, but hang in there. I respect people like you more than you know, and I bet lots of other people do too.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

If i could go back to being 20 again, i'd do a few things differently.

The obvious things like the mistakes i've made wouldn't be repeated. Certain key moments, when i should have done or said this, instead of that would be corrected too.

I would have laid off the booze a bit more than i did when i was that age, or give it a miss altogether. I would have given up smoking too.

I'd be meeting my wife about this age too...i'd do that again, and maybe only tweak things here and there in the relationship, nothing major.

I think i would be more actively political too. Then i saw politics as something for stuffy, old middle/upper classes or militant, banner waving lefties. It didn't interest me. I think i'd take more notice the next time around though.

Apart from correcting the obvious mistakes i'd made over the years, and taking better care of myself, i wouldn't change much else tbh, just a few bits and bobs here and there.

edit on 18/2/2011 by spikey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

aaahhhh hindsite is 20/20.... if only I COULD. I would have chosen to be an attorney.. however I raised a family had had several medium/large companies in between... Here is my advice to you... the world is changing. a "degree" doesn't mean what it used to....

Go into a field that TECHNOLIGY CAN NOT REPLACE... such as medical, physical theapy, x ray, geriatrics, or go into a field of study for future farming tech... such as local community hydroponics.. Learn how to stay off the grid and live close to (if not in ) a small town.....

Technoligy and overseas jobs are kicking Americas BUTT.... Hang in there.

(when I was in my early 20's I had 3 retail jobs my own money in the bank a car..... and fun! , things are different now...)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I would have stayed at college. I was doing Interior Design and if I'd known it would become so popular and well paid I'd have carried on and not got side-tracked by boys. I wouldn't have married my first husband - we were like chalk and cheese and much too young. I may still have married my present husband - not sure on that one! Would definitely not have kids again - one was okay the other a total nightmare that we're just recovering from. In fact, I'd have lots of animals of my own and do interior design for other pets for wealthy clients!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
I'm 27 years old, and follow current events, as well as discussions on ATS very closely, and have for a few years. I must say, it is getting tougher to have a positive outlook on life. I see fewer and fewer opportunites for my generation, and know many my age with degrees, who can't find a halfway decent job relating to their degree. It's almost impossible to pay for a car, rent/mortgage, health insurance, or higher education which is getting more important by the day. This doesn't take into account supporting a family, vacations, or saving for the future, which many of our parents were able to do. A little depressing to say the least.

So my question to those of you who have more life experience than my generation, in knowing what you know now, what would you do differently if hypothetically, tomorrow you woke up and were 25 years old again? Maybe you have a son or daughter in their twenties. What advice do you offer them?

I just don't see much hope for the future of our generation, and one big problem is that my generation doesn't seem interested in politics, or current events. They're more interested in material items, which club to go to on the weekend, and in general seem to live in a bubble which they have zero interest in escaping from.

Yet, even the older generation who frequent this forum, who have a house and money saved in the bank, and more life experience, are talking about fleeing the country, or finding a way to live off the grid. Corruption is out of control, our political system is broken, and we rarely, if ever, hear politicians talk about improving the circumstances for our generation. They only appear to be concerned with saving the money and investments which my generation doesn't have. Sounds greedy and selfish to say the least. And if older generations are having a tough time coping, and don' have a positive outlook, what does that say for the younger people here? Doom and gloom?
edit on 17-2-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

Greetings from a 49 year old woman. I see your genuine concern with the realities of todays adn tomorrows life, on earth. And as you have stated, we who are older also feel the unsetllety of society. We see our economic systems falling. We see governments failing. And it is good to realize some younger generation are also seeing true life. I remember a few protest in my life. But considering todays situations around the globe, Id say more revolting from more countries. Watching all those middle eastern countries revolt against theri systems makes me realize governments aroudn the globe are all corrupted. Anyhow when the majority of america comes together young and old and stand side by side and demand change things will start changing....We havent seen the level of concern for our personal selves yet to take a move on changing american system as they are doing in the middle east..Doom and Gloom is a choice for life. I dont believe they THE MANs-The corrupt governments will win in the end...Please dont over worry becuase what is emant to happen is going to happen...If you life will those feelings you are having you could make yourself medically diagnosed depressed adn that would be letting THEM win..peace to you

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Perhaps the very best advice comes from Dr. Seuss:

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
If I changed anything in particular, it would had set a completely different course and I would'nt have my 3 children I have today so would I change anything? Not before the age of 35. Thereafter 35, I would had made better informed decisions.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Where do I start. Seriously though considering where gas prices are now compared to then I would cruise a heck of alot more, and take my grandparents advice to just slow down. Grab a glass of sun tea, sit down on the front porch and just relax. It wasn't until I had children of my own that I truly understood why that was so important to them. Life really is too short and time seems to speed up the older you get. Of course like many others that have posted I to would get my degree and pursue the career path I wanted, doing something I truly enjoyed. I would kick the smoking habit, but most importantly I would spend much more time with my grandfather. For him to have raised his own three children, then raise his three grandchildren without one complaint or regret is something I never thanked him for. I would take the time to listen and learn from him much more than I had done.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ballsdeep
reply to post by simone50m

Bull****??

How? Yeah they're spending money to put together an off grid site; so that they can stop having to make money afterwards. Once that happens then their home, not their bank account, becomes their 'launch pad' - and all that's required afterwards is the capital for each particular endeavour (earned as needed).

Actually, you really are correct here, I am just very jealous that I do not have the money from which to establish an off-the-grid foundation for myself, which takes quite a bit (to me) of money to do that -right- .
I was born into, came from, an unsecure foundation of poverty, with undiagnosed hindrances. Too much stream against one weak salmon.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join