It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Junk food diet linked to lower IQ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

PARIS – Toddlers who have a diet high in processed foods may have a slightly lower IQ in later life, according to a British study described as the biggest research of its kind.

The conclusion, published on Monday, comes from a long-term investigation into 14,000 people born in western England in 1991 and 1992 whose health and well-being were monitored at the ages of three, four, seven and eight and a half.

This really doesn't surprise me but, I think there are other factors involved besides just eating junk food.

Of the 4,000 children for which there were complete data, there was a significant difference in IQ among those who had had the "processed" as opposed to the "health-conscious" diets in early childhood.

The 20 percent of children who ate the most processed food had an average IQ of 101 points, compared with 106 for the 20 percent of children who ate the most "health-conscious" food.

This may be a big factor in the results.

The association between IQ and nutrition is a strongly debated issue because it can be skewed by many factors, including economic and social background.

A middle-class family, for instance, may arguably be more keen (or more financially able) to put a healthier meal on the table, or be pushier about stimulating their child, compared to a poorer household.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

This has been known for a while now in the UK; the chef Jamie Oliver campaigned for schools to get rid of junk food as it was a) unhealthy and b) was shown to lower intelligence

Jamie Oliver Rages Against Crime of Junkfood Diets
edit on 8/2/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I read this in the news too. I thought it was an already well known fact.

I used to eat junk food when i was younger, my parents told me better but I wouldn't listen. Luckily I figured out it is all poison. Even the food that is so called "good" for us is being poisoned.

But if you can manage to eat healthy, avoid as many chemicals as possible you will feel the difference in your thought process.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
A lot of healthy foods have been linked to memory and brain development such as blue berries, Spinach, Broccoli, Grapes. So a diet Richer in these types of food over junk food would benefit your overall physical, and mental health.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I to believe their are more factors involved. I am a junk food junky most of the time. I have a very technical job where I have to troubleshoot issues throughout the day. I would agree, giving kids a sugar high and then expecting them to try and sit down and considerate, is not going to happen.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
strange...cuz I eat more than my far share of junk food, but also do mma but still im pulling off a 90 average

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Maybe it's because people with room-temperature IQs are the ones feeding their babies junk food.
Maybe the IQ is something genetic instead of being caused by junk food.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I ate crap for food after my parents divorced in 1983 and I still tested at an IQ of 136 in high school. But my mother took an interset in my life and schooling and i think that helps IQ more than food

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Low stress and good sleep are probably more vital in IQ scores than diet. Although a bad diet may lead to hypertension sleeplessness and stress. So, yea.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
IQ= Idiot Quotient.

It is a test by social engineers to determine where you fit into the illusion.

It has nothing to do with true intelligence

Scoring low on the IQ test is really a good sign. It means the LIE doesn't have that much of a hold on you.
Just as being deemed mentally ill is a good sign that you are responding perfectly normal to a very abnormal social enviroment. Its all flipped.

If you are having a good ole time on this planet you arent paying attention.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I ben eatin frenchy fries and tater tots from 9yrs old and I be smrt!!!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
No big surprise, really... junk food is also called "fast" food, and that's what the people that eat it are doing from a nutritional point of view... fasting.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
i for one, feel much healthier and more alert when ive gone a few days or even a week without eating junk food,
i also find that it only takes about a week to get rid of the cravings,
its hard i know but when you detoxify your system, your body isnt longing for that chocolate or kebab anymore

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic
No big surprise, really... junk food is also called "fast" food, and that's what the people that eat it are doing from a nutritional point of view... fasting.

and you know something?
when was the last time a portion of mcdonalds french fries filled you up
when was the last time a back of potato chips filled you up

never, they arent even proper foods your always left feeling hungry after

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

yes the typing really shows it

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by margret68

Originally posted by whaaa

yes the typing really shows it

and you know something?
when was the last time a portion of mcdonalds french fries filled you up
when was the last time a back of potato chips filled you up

I no, nasty back o chps

wanna relly get stupd? Eat slim jims and drnk 40oz bull dog malt liqor.
edit on 8-2-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

What for u say such thing? I eat MCdonalds all time. ME smart as oxen. ME thanks this report done by leave eaters.

Seriously though, if that were true. No wonder the US keeps dropping down the list of smartest countries. But it does make me wonder
Should i go to Burger King or Wendy's after this post

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
There are to many variables in determining someones IQ.

No one has a true IQ. Sure you may have taken a test that says you got such and such score, but all that tells you is how well you did that day for that test, thats all.

I have taken over ten IQ test and not once have I ever had the same score. Each test is different and each environment in which you take the test is different.

I scored the highest while I was drunk.

Have fun.

top topics

join