It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a genetic basis for homosexuality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I know throughout the years there have been claims back and forth but have any of the claims been proven. Is the weight of the evidence on the side of homosexuality being a behavior that is learned, or is the weight of the evidence on the side of homosexuality being an identifiable genetic structure?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

Why does homosexuality only get discussed here?

What’s the science on heterosexuals? Is is learned or genetic?

What if the answer is neither? Or a little bit of both?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Genetics basis imply reproduction, and, as we know, homosexuals do not reproduce often. If there was a ''gay gene'', it wouldn't have survived this long in the gene pool since those who possessed it do not feel the need to procreate.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by worlds_away

As heterosexuality is a requirement of procreation it is naturally assumed to be natural.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Actually it’s not. There is no reason why a gay man and a straight woman could not conceive a child. Or vice versa.

It is personal preference.

edit to add: Just as there is nothing stopping my lesbian sister from being a surrogate mother if I needed one.
edit on 6-2-2011 by worlds_away because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Well there is one I know call sexual attraction...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jigore

Just because you are sexually attracted to the same sex does not mean your reproductive organs do not work.

I know many many people who have been in a heterosexual relationship, had children, divorced and now one or both are in a homosexual relationship.

Or there are people that have had homosexual relationships and are now in a heterosexual relationship with children.

So..... it is a mental perversion? Are they crazy? Is there something wrong with them?

Or is there something wrong with you?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by worlds_away

Actually it’s not. There is no reason why a gay man and a straight woman could not conceive a child. Or vice versa.

It is personal preference.

edit to add: Just as there is nothing stopping my lesbian sister from being a surrogate mother if I needed one.

So when you say it's a personal preference, are you saying that it is behavioral and not genetic?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I’m not gonna lie. I’m a woman. I have been sexually attracted to many women. I have also been sexually attracted to many men. I am in a heterosexual relationship right now.

I am not saying that it is either genetic or behavioural. I don’t know. From my personal experiences it is a personal preference.

Just like I like chocolate, but maybe you don’t? Would you say that is behavioural or genetic?

edit to add: I have never been in a homosexual relationship, so I do not consider myself bi. Saying that, there are some people who are attracted to men and women that do consider themselves bi. There is no black and white, cut and dry. Just multiple shades of grey...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BATTP
Quote edited out for the sake of civility

Good to know. I bet you anything, that the ptb could use techs to make anyone gay. Its spiritual, not to do with any mental disorder.
edit on 6-2-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I personally think it's just a sexual preference like any other fetish. But there are those who seem to believe that it's genetic so I am interested in hearing what they have to say as well.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Well I can give a gay man's perspective on this.

Attraction is caused by a series of chemicals in your brain. I have no choice in the matter. I've never been attracted to women, even from a young age. I had no "homosexual" influences as a child whatsoever.

To me it's probably part genetic and part environmental. I don't believe it to be a disorder of any kind, simply something different than the norm.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
going just by purly human nature its natural for woman to be attracted to other woman.
go back 20k years as far as you want males went hunting left the woman at the umm cave .
so being along with the kids these woman had a lot of extra time on there hands and formed much closer bonds because of it.
men on the other hand were hierarchy orientated .alpha and so on down and used sex as another way to show dominance over another male .
so being gay is natural for woman but unnatural for men EXCEPT as a dominance display.
look at a dog onec on his back its a SUBMISSIVE display 9his way of saying your bigger then me.
look at a man from behind which man has the advantage? this shows it can ONLY BE a SUBMISSIVE display.
and of corse woman were ALOWS on there back or from behind making man DOMINATE over them.
This NATURAL human instincts hasnt going away as the ladys WELL know .
its only in the last 100 years man have started to conside woman can be as capable as a man in some things . But contrary to a womans desire they can NOT be equal in all ways as much as they mite want to.
No woman EVER could or EVER will lift as much weight as a man is capable of.
on the other hand No man will ever give birth we can NEVER be equil ladys we can ONLY be the best at what each of us is BEST at .
forget about being equil i could care less if i am equil to any one I only care about using my abilitys to there most. If you are better at something then me Ill be happy to ask you to do it instead .

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Because of my belief in the human soul, I figure male and female spirits can enter the wrong bodies. I once knew a twin brother and sister who were born only minutes apart, and both were queer as three dollar bills. Over the years I have never heard of another case like it.

new topics

top topics

join