It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about Security Clearance procedures.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHistorian

And your expertise in this is?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Animatrix

The advice provided is pretty accurate. A secret clearance is pretty standard. The key for any is just be honest. I just can't imagine anyone cluttering up their work over what sites you visit.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Its hard to understand, how a simple question about a security clearance can actually attract a skeptic (troll) like StlSteve but I believe Ive gotten enough legitimate replies to compare with other info that Ive gotten, thats given me a general idea of what to expect.
Thanks for help, to all that helped.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage Ive never heard of a public trust clearance... weird! What the heck is it?

Neither did I so I looked it up; I thought at first he might have meant the Personnel Reliability Program but that’s for nuclear chemical or biological programs access. Think a TS/SCI with a lifestyle and CI scope polygraph to boot.

Anyhow, I guess a public trust clearance is something issued by the Office of Personnel Management for people with access to sensitive but not national security related information – like financial stuff, policy maker, police and law enforcement etc. Support and infrastructure type things.

So it’s a background investigation for people not involved in national security issues but rather sensitive issues like personal records and finances and such....

Probably the same level of scrutiny just for different reasons.

About the financial issues most people have something in there 30 day late student loans for example...

Public Trust Clearance

Public trust security clearances are issued to federal employees of various agencies whose positions directly or indirectly affect the public at large. There are three levels of public trust security clearances: high, moderate and low. The levels are reflective of the potential risk to the employing agency and the general public. The individual agencies are responsible for designating specific levels of security clearances commensurate with the level of responsibility entrusted to the position.

Public Trust Positions

Public trust positions include those responsible for policymaking, public health and safety, law enforcement, fiduciary management or any activity beholden to the public's trust. These positions usually involve access to sensitive information such as financial or personal records and records that can be manipulated to cause physical or financial harm to the public or the controlling agency.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Just wondering, but isn't one of the conditions of being offered a "secret" job that you don't talk about the job to people, you know like on a large public web site?

I know that on the MI5 web site in the UK it says if you apply for work there you shouldn't talk to anyone about your application other then close family

Yes, that is because that agency might have you assume a cover identity secret to even your family - the CIA web site and recruiters will tell you the same thing.

Having a job with access to classified information is not the same as a "classified job". For instance I was in Special Forces for most of my career; it’s not a secret lots of people are. However, what I did and where I went was classified not simply my being assigned to the organization.

There are not too many agencies that run cover operations and that sort of thing. If someone ever starts bragging about working for MI5 or CIA one can almost be assured they never have.

It’s how you can tell the support people down range – they will always say they are with "the company: or "the agency" or some such nonsense. What they are screaming is “I work for the CIA yes, and am an analyst, mechanic or computer tech - any operator will have a cover.

edit on 27/1/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Oh, yea sorry "Advantage", I meant to reply to you post but I got a bit distracted.
Anyway yea, its kind of weird that my brother, who is working on choppers that
will actually be in a war theater, actually had to undergo less scrutiny (apparently) than I will.
Hes even married to a foreign wife, whos from a country thats pretty non significant by most standards
but who happens to be from a country that has a major US airbase that supplies to troops in Afghanistan (for now)

They didnt even call/interview me during his clearance processing.. however, he is working for a merc company, so, who knows.
Hes actually tried to get me to sign up with them for work at the base hes at but I cant work for a company like that.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Having a job with access to classified information is not the same as a "classified job". For instance I was in Special Forces for most of my career; it’s not a secret lots of people are. However, what I did and where I went was classified not simply my being assigned to the organization.

Alot of people dont realize that TS info is compartmentalized.. just because a person has a TS clearance in one area, doesnt mean they have access to Top Secret info throughout the Govt.
Meaning, a person with a TS clearance in IT doesnt have access to TS info in NASA or Special Forces programs.. etc..

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Double Post.. Again!
edit on 27-1-2011 by Animatrix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnimatrixThey didnt even call/interview me during his clearance processing.. however, he is working for a merc company, so, who knows.

Nah, Dyncorp has a good rep in the business; they may have botched some things in Columbia but that was a long time ago.

Originally posted by AnimatrixHes actually tried to get me to sign up with them for work at the base hes at but I cant work for a company like that.

Well, they pay well that's for sure...as all contractors do in theater. I can see where one might have reservations but if you are willing to work for another contractor here in the states the end result is the same - they are all batting for the same team. Of course here you don't have to eat sand-hamwitches I guess.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Well, the company im trying to get on board with builds planes and ships, they dont train people that will potentially and may have already, patrolled American streets.
I say that because the only company that I know for sure has done that is Blackwater but im sure that Dyncorp was there as well.

Nah, Dyncorp has a good rep in the business; they may have botched some things in Columbia but that was a long time ago.

What happened in Columbia btw? I
edit on 27-1-2011 by Animatrix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnimatrixWell, the company im trying to get on board with builds planes and ships, they dont train people that will potentially and may have already, patrolled American streets.
I say that because the only company that I know for sure has done that is Blackwater but im sure that Dyncorp was there as well.

Well, I'm not sure if they provided any contractors for that or not but I know they provided helecopters as they always do - its their nitch in the sanctioned mercenary market.

Originally posted by Animatrix[What happened in Columbia btw?

Officially, the employees are engaged in providing pilot training and technical support for the Colombian National Police's illicit-plant eradication effort in southern Colombia. But several reports suggest DynCorp personnel are actively involved in counterinsurgency in the south, which is controlled by the Colombian insurgents FARC.

DynCorp personnel at the San Jose del Guaviare military base in southern Colombia are under strict orders not to speak with the press.

The Buenos Aires daily Clarin reported that DynCorp employed 20 to 30 Vietnam vets in Colombia.

This was all in the late 80s early 90s _ I don't really know what's going on there now of course as I am retired.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

_ I don't really know what's going on there now of course as I am retired.

Retired from what exactly? just curious.

And you got me wondering now.. Did Dyncorp provide helis or "troops" to the CIA/DEA in the search for and killing of Pablo Escobar?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnimatrixRetired from what exactly? just curious.

Retired from the Army.

Originally posted by AnimatrixAnd you got me wondering now.. Did Dyncorp provide helis or "troops" to the CIA/DEA in the search for and killing of Pablo Escobar?

I don't really know; I know at one time they were booted out of Columbia and lost all thier contracts for a short "investigation" but they went right back to whatever they did under some new rules I bet.

Just google it there used to be a whole bunch of documents on the net about the issue.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

but they went right back to whatever they did under some new rules I bet.

Ah i see. Well, im surprised that they didnt just change their name and start over, like "XE"
Large corporations, especially those involved in defense, are allowed to do that.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
A friend of mine has a job like the one you are describing. The way I understand it they look for indicators that you could be susceptible to bribery or blackmail. Don't allow yourself to seem financially or emotionally unstable. Don't miss a payment on anything and don't bounce a check. If you get a divorce or separate from your spouse you must report it. I know for a fact that he is forbidden to visit wikileaks and visiting sites like these could cause him to come under scrutiny. You can bet that if an IP address can be linked to you, they will look at your internet usage.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I have State Police, FEMA, DHS, FBI, NSA clearance. Yes, they check Yes, they know where you visit on line and where youve been in life.

But there would have to be 'red-flags' in a particular area to bring attention to yourself. It can happen, and it does, so if you are going through any kind of Security background checking...expect the worse...and hope for the best.

It should be easy...for most...not all....requiring it. If you are feeling guilty and are worried about it...you probably should be.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Animatrix

Not likely to have any phone calls for SECRET it is the TOP SECRET that requires the calls. You will probably have to fill out an indepth multi page form, where you will need to know all your previous addresses and such. I had one, I don't remember all the requirements - They usually want 10 years past but the form is like 14 pages. I answered no to most stuff because there was no drug usage or other behaviors that warrented a yes - or what not. There my be financial credit information, like credit card and bank account I don't remember. I moved around quite a bit and address recreation was the hard part for me. They will be concerned if you have ever defaulted on loans or have written bad checks. This will Xnay your clearance - so if this is what you refer to as not being an angel . . . don't count on a clearance.

It is basically a very indepth credit report which they use to insure you will not be suceptable to corruption by fundage. So your credit issues will be very important.

Now - for Top Secret they want to know all sorts of character information and sexual history, and this used to be down to number of partners - with names - I guess the basic premise of this is so that you cannot be blackmailed if you induldge in odd fetishes. In this case they are concerned about your character and will call old teachers and room mates and what not. You will also have a lengthy, very uncomfortable polygraph and possibly a personality indicator test like the Minnesota Multiphasic. It was rumored some time back that they could only manage to recruit Mormons into the CIA, because they were the only ones that could pass the clearance. Then much to the displeasure of the CIA they discovered Mormons were very uncomfortable with the job requirements! LOL It has been a long time since I have had friends go through this level of clearance, but I know the process is not a comfortable one. Chances are you will not be Top Secret - ever, if there are blemishes in your past or in the past of your immediate family because that counts too. I've seen people start jobs and later lose them due to clearance issues that came up during the indepth. I can tell you two very close friends went through the highest of clearance checks - and they expressed the process was excrutiating.

Good luck.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Whats funny is, i worked at this very same base just after 9/11and all that was required was me showing my ID and getting an access sticker.
The contracting company wasnt nearly as big as the one im with now but still, just shows you how one event can totally change a country.

link   
I dont know why every other post I make in this thread, creates a double post.
edit on 28-1-2011 by Animatrix because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by StlSteve

When it happened to me it was a lag/latency issue. Could also be a sticky keyboard.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join