It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is your brain on...Bath Salts???!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

FULTON, Miss. — When Neil Brown got high on dangerous chemicals sold as bath salts, he took his skinning knife and slit his face and stomach repeatedly. Brown survived, but authorities say others haven't been so lucky after snorting, injecting or smoking powders with such innocuous-sounding names as Ivory Wave, Red Dove and Vanilla Sky.

In Brown's case, he said he had tried every drug from heroin to crack and was so shaken by terrifying hallucinations that he wrote one Mississippi paper urging people to stay away from the advertised bath salts.

"I couldn't tell you why I did it," Brown said, pointing to his scars. "The psychological effects are still there."

While Brown survived, sheriff's authorities in one Mississippi county say they believe one woman overdosed on the powders there. In southern Louisiana, the family of a 21-year-old man says he cut his throat and ended his life with a gunshot. Authorities are investigating whether a man charged with capital murder in the December death of a Tippah County, Miss., sheriff's deputy was under the influence of the bath salts.

Dr. Richard Sanders, a general practitioner working in Covington, La., said his son, Dickie, snorted some of the chemicals and endured three days of intermittent delirium. Dickie Sanders missed major arteries when he cut his throat. As he continued to have visions, his physician father tried to calm him. But the elder Sanders said that as he slept, his son went into another room and shot himself.

* This is just the most horrific problem and from what I gather, it's getting worse because the substance can be obtained legally by even the youngest people. Now as a 52 yr old, I can easily recall the 70's when most of us experimented and the likes, but it is quite beyond my comprehension that anyone would attempt to ingest or inject mouthwash, household cleaners or bath salts. Call me old-fashioned or just plain old, but I just gotta shake my head. I swear...some days I just feel like Margie Gunderson in Fargo, ".....and here y'are, and it's a beautiful day." :bnghd:

edit on 1/23/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: added Required external source tags, snipped disallowed content.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Tasty Canadian

They are marketed as bath salts and not for human consumption to get around laws, they are not literally bath salts. Anyway, people are buying these because of the drug laws...they are willing to take unknown RC's, many of which have not had much testing compared to the illegal drugs we know about that have extensive research spanning decades in regards to their effects from both short and long term usage. Blame the governments and their draconian drug policies, it's about time we legalized and taxed all drugs and stopped this insanity, humans like to take drugs... we always have and that is not going to change.
edit on 23-1-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Tasty Canadian

Well, forgive if I offend, but you referred to your age. I am not far behind, but I digress!

Bath salts, as we know them, are Epsom salts or the like. They are really bath salts.

Bath salts, as they are sold today, are chemical copycats of drugs, often illegal, such as marijuana with a compounded THC. This is sold as both bath salts and incense, though the real intent is to smoke it to get the effects.

They are solod as "bath salts" with disclaimers on the packages to not ingest or smoke the product, and the sellers are not responsible for what happens if you do.

It is just a legal walk around.

I won't post links to these "legal" drugs, but you can research it yourself on Google. Hope my explanation helps in your research.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Indeed the shops in Camden, London near to me are FULL of things like this, stuff sold as bath salts or plant fertilizer or incense or god knows what else with packaging and branding that indicates their true purpose.

It's a legal loop hole that needs to be closed in my opinion

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I've got to talk to my girlfriend.
She's been spending too much money at Crabtree and Evelyn.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I think the people dumb enough to misuse bath salts like that need to die thats less stupid in the world right there. Since America has gone ban happy I can see a nationwide ban on bath salts for the protection of the more of the useless of the useless eaters. It's stories about people that stupid that make me long for the days of natural selection, not to mention I'm sure crack and meth are cheaper than bath salts.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverado292
I think the people dumb enough to misuse bath salts like that need to die thats less stupid in the world right there. Since America has gone ban happy I can see a nationwide ban on bath salts for the protection of the more of the useless of the useless eaters. It's stories about people that stupid that make me long for the days of natural selection, not to mention I'm sure crack and meth are cheaper than bath salts.

If we ban bath salts you will start to see CIA planes crashing carrying more bath salts than a bed bath and beyond tractor trailer!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Oh please. Do you know how much stuff is in your house right now that you can get freakishly intoxicated off of? How many plants and even animals and minerals on your yard can give you a high if you prepare and ingest them?

Someone out to do something? Yeah, someone ought to stop snorting bath salts. While they're at it, they scan stop inhaling spray paint, and learn that you're not supposed to inject jack Daniels. Bad things happen when you do this stuff, and it's your fault for doing it.

I mean, really. if you think "Hey, I'll shove this powder up my nose!" sounds like a fun idea, you reap what you sow.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
At least it makes the dark parts of society smell nice.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
heh , dont know if i should laugh or just smile ,

to be honest after reading the sentence with the fellow complaining that crack and heroin didnt produce hallusinations i stopped reading ,

if an "addict" sais things like that i call it bull and the article is more an advert then a disclaimer,

the article basicly sais both crack and heroin is safer then mpdv or any other "meth" subsitute ??!!

then again this is a good example of what prohibition does ,

if not bathsalts then cat de worming kits ,

wouldent it just be better to educate people to do proper "drugs" properly

edit on 26-1-2011 by zerbot565 because: spelling bee

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Ok, I have a problem with this story. One, Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate) is commonly used for ingestion as a laxative. I have a big bag of it and use it as a bath salt (muscle relaxer), and every 3 months (quarterly) as a laxative, (to clean and purge intestines while doing a 1 day fast). When my daughter gets constipated, i will give her 2 tsp of epsom salt to help here have a bowl movement. In our medical facility, we will occasionally recommend epsom salt to help as a laxative. I have never heard of people hallucinating from Epson Salt! Is it by chance from other chemicals added to epsom salt like perfumes? WHat are they referring to as bath salts?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemst7
Ok, I have a problem with this story. One, Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate) is commonly used for ingestion as a laxative. I have a big bag of it and use it as a bath salt (muscle relaxer), and every 3 months (quarterly) as a laxative, (to clean and purge intestines while doing a 1 day fast). When my daughter gets constipated, i will give her 2 tsp of epsom salt to help here have a bowl movement. In our medical facility, we will occasionally recommend epsom salt to help as a laxative. I have never heard of people hallucinating from Epson Salt! Is it by chance from other chemicals added to epsom salt like perfumes? WHat are they referring to as bath salts?

If you look at the head shop web sites, you'll see that the "bath salts" are really a wide range of chemicals, sold with warnings not to ingest them, but they are really designed especially to get you high. They are not epsom salts.

Anyway, if people are stupid enough to take this crap, making it illegal surely won't stop them.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Last year this was a really bad problem in my city. These head shops were popping up everywhere and people were running around out of their minds on this legal coc aine robbing to pay for the habit.

I personally know a close friend who got really addicted to it and it has messed his mind up completely, apparently one brand of it actually mimicked mental illness and judging by the things I seen it do to people thats true.

The Irish government recently passed a law banning the sale of it all and literally overnight about 75% of the headshops closed down but obviously didn't destroy their stocks because now people buy it on the streets.

I have no problem with headshops selling pot seeds or pipes and such but unregulated chemicals being sold to kids to put into their bodies is plain evil as far as I see it and I'd advise everyone to steer well clear of these "bath salts".

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Usually people are referring to Mephedrone when mentioning "bath salts".

It is the "family" of MDMA, but not even close at the same time. If that makes any sense.

4-Methylmethcathinone

There are plenty of these types waiting to be synthesized in China when the next one becomes outlawed. I actually believe they should be outlawed anyway because of the analogue act's -

Never tried it myself, haven't heard really anything that great about it either though.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dance4Life

Mephedrone is much better than MDMA...the only 'bad' thing is that it has a tendency to make people redose every one or two hours...even though it is unneeded, a bit like coc aine you could say...but redosing on mephedrone is much more dangerous, although still less dangerous than many legal drugs if statistics are to be believed.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Attorney General of Florida just issued a mandate in the past couple of weeks outlawing the sale of bath salts in Florida and offering an amnesty period to get them off the shelves. The legislature is expected to make the ban permanent when the legislative session starts in March. It was the first thing on her radar after getting into her position this year!

Sun Sentinel Link

State Attorney General Pam Bondi cited disturbing reports of violent drug users "with superhuman strength" in banning the so-called fake coc aine.

The white powder, sold at gas stations and specialty shops around the state, has sent dozens of users to emergency rooms and mental hospitals in recent months, according to authorities.

Along with Florida Department of Law Enforcement Commissioner Gerald Bailey and Bay County Sheriff Frank McKeithen, Bondi said her emergency order would add substances containing MDPV, a chemical found in the "bath salts," to the schedule of controlled substances — making it a third-degree felony to sell the products. Louisiana is the only other state that bans substances containing MDPV.

edit on 21-2-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I really, really, really doubt it is more pleasurable than MDMA. Although, that is quite an opinionated statement on my behalf. Especially since I haven't tried it.

I have also read about the re-dose. Everyone that I have talked to says it lacks empathy and movement - no nystigmus, etc.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I feel experimentation with the more stimulating research chems (which should be called URCs - UNresearched chemicals) is probably not a good idea. The tryptamines all seem to be quite safe, but many of the phens (2-CXXX, other more stimulating phens) seem to have some nasty side FX. The very last thing we need is a nation of people bathing in psychedelic stimulants xD

reply to post by Dance4Life

I agree. MDA/MDMA are kinda like the pinnacle of good vibes for me. OK, I must say there is no drug on this planet that can beat '___' in any aspect of the FX for me, but MDA/MDMA is only just below deems for best feelings ever.
edit on 24-2-2011 by tetsuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Hm. I've never heard of this until now. I remember the big debate over Spice down here a while back. Mr. Nice Guy was the brand I had tried, and while the first few times I tried it resulted in me laughing about the dumbest stuff uncontrollably, I got used to it after a while and liked it quite a bit, although it only had half the duration of the illegal stuff.

Anyways, with that said I'm surprised I haven't even heard of this yet, although I had noticed a few new packages in the gas stations around here. I'm curious to see if they're still there, or if it's passed the deadline now.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Follow the money trail... you have any idea how much they are probably making off this stuff? AND IT'S LEGAL? And it's NEW? Well, I don't know about you guys, but I smell a rat... a VERY FAT RAT. I can't help but think this took a lot of time, money, and smarts to come up with... not something your average run-of-the-mill pot farmer or such, concocts in his basement to be able to get rich on a legal high.. You know.. this rat smells familiar. He's been around a lot lately....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join