It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crossing the line: Civil liberty and preventive measures, how do we prevent another violent crisis?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This topic was not the easiest for me to write, with out interjecting my personal opinion, into the first sentence or paragraph.

The purpose is to gather an account of every one else's, and see if we can collaboratively work together towards an effort to identify then resolve future crisis's.

The kicker for me was in the below linked news video*, and I note hindsight is always 20/20, but the signs were there.

How do we as a society work towards prevention, if such prevention, may allude to violations of civil liberty?
Obviously, it is not the intentions of the society to interfere with an individuals civil liberties. How ever in order to prevent another crisis, it may be deemed necessary to identify individuals who are counter productive socially.

What are those "key" identifiers?
How do we as a society ensure an unbiased and sound process?
At which point does social involvement of preventive measures hinder civil liberty?

The above are just a few suggestions, and I ask for and encourage further collaboration.

The past few days have been almost too surreal, isn't it about time all of the discussion that involves this subject, be at least in a constructive and perhaps beneficial direction?

Serious replies and comments only.
This subject material may be selected as a basis for an Above Top Secret Research Project.

Source link for above mentioned news video;

Ariz. suspect's parents: 'We don't know why this happened'
Parents issue written statement after son suspected of deadly rampage in Tucson
Video

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
There is no easy answer to your question. You cannot stop these kind of things from happening indefinitely. They are going to happen regardless of how many measures you take to prevent them from happening. The only 100% fail proof way to keep something like this from ever happening again would be to put everyone in their own little protective bubble. Sadly that is pretty much what lawmakers want, to protect us from ourselves.

I for one am not willing to give up anymore rights for some false protection. Even with the security measures put in place for the airlines after 9/11 it has been proven over and over that they can be bypassed if someone really wanted to. Just another waste of tax payers time, money and freedom for a little false sense of security in my opinion.

My big question in all of this is where was the security at an event like this? I thought that all members of congress had a security detail. Where was this one?
edit on 1/11/2011 by SpaDe_ because: edit

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I honestly dont see how a Free People CAN totally prevent this type of thing from happening. Unless someone has broken a law just exactly what can be done? Laws are in place now that will lock up people that harm others........can a free society exist where people are locked up for what they MIGHT do? It is frustrating but if you start jailing people for thought crimes than we arer opening the door to a state that would make Orwells 1984 look like heaven.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
If the information we are receiving is accurate, the individual who committed this crime was known to the police to have made death threats against others. Had something been done about that, there would have been no incident. While I can understand the desire to create a means of preventing future incidents, anything you do will end up trampling on our freedoms in the name of a false sense of security. I think we already have enough of that going on. And I have to question, why now? Why does this act call for all the attention and we need to do this, and we need to do that? Had this been multiple people shot, killed, and injured in an inner city slum where no one of public prominence was injured would we know about it nationally? Globally? Sure it would have appeared on local news, but it wouldn't have gotten a whole nation up in arms. That is not to diminish the heinousness of what occurred, or lessen the heartsickness I feel about the whole event or how bad I feel for those who lost someone. But let's be real about this.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Unfortunately, as was pointed out in the news that day, is there are no security details under the executive level.
People have a false sense of reality, not just in their own "worlds" but in general. People like to think, they know, when they are only being self ignorant.

It is those types of "sheeple" mentality if you will, that hinders society as a whole.

This may not be an issue one finds comfortable to discuss, but in all reality we know it is a valid one.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
We can start by simply enforcing our own laws. From what I've seen, this is a person who had been in multiple scrapes with the law but was let off, was actually kicked out of college he was so disruptive, and had made multiple death threats against people but nothing was done about it. If he had been dealt with properly, his apparent mental disturbance likely would have been identified and treated properly.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Also from the above linked video, would like to point out at 04:36, the parents are mentioned. Saying, they had no idea of the severity of his condition.

Would it be reasonable to say that parents are unable to provide accurate statements on behalf of their offspring, due to natural parental bias?

Obviously they had some idea of his condition, or as such gives the impression of.

top topics

join