It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loss of Civil Rights continues in NY

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tyredofit
Smoking is not a right. It is a privilege. And no one has the privilege of forcing the results of their chosen bad habits on other people.

I grew up with a father who was a three-pack-a-day smoker (he finally quit a few years ago). My whole life I had sinus and lung problems, constantly coughing and hacking and stuffed up. They took me to doctor after doctor who could find nothing wrong. I got yelled at because I was costing them too much money and I needed to stop "faking" to get attention. But I wasn't faking. It was my body reacting to the constant exposure to my father's cigarette smoke. When I left home at 19 to go into the military, after a few months, I suddenly realized that I could taste my food again, I could smell again, and my clothes didn't reek. And I wasn't coughing up a lung most of the day. Amazing!

To this day my health is not nearly as good as it might have been had I never been exposed to cigarette smoking. I for one am glad that cities are taking steps to ban smoking in public areas. It's a relief to be able to go out to a bar or a restaurant with my husband, and enjoy a drink or a meal, without having to worry about being sick for days afterward, or choosing (as I used to) not to go so for the same reason.

That just sounds like poor parenting in general to me. I'm not trying to sound rude per your father about how you were raised, and it's none of my business. But my mother smoked, and until i was 18 I never even knew until her co worker told me. The reason I never knew? She never did it in front of the family, and smoked outside.
Sorry you are having health issues, if your issues are from "second hand" smoke, maybe you should be mad at your father, and not every other smoker in the country. If the tobacco companies cleaned up their act, and the government stopped twiddling their fingers and making billions of tax dollars from smokers, cigarettes wouldn't be as dangerous.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mastermook
Quick article, a village in New York has completely banned smoking in all buildings, sidewalks, and parks.
Violators face up to $1,000 Fine.

I am a tad confused here. From your article

GREAT NECK, N.Y. - A village on Long Island's "gold coast" is banning smoking on public sidewalks in front of businesses. Violators could face a $1,000 fine.

While I am not a fan and agree with many of the arguments made, the OP seems less than honest to me. Can you clarify where you see smoking being banned in all buildings, sidewalks, and parks?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

Originally posted by Mastermook
Quick article, a village in New York has completely banned smoking in all buildings, sidewalks, and parks.
Violators face up to $1,000 Fine.

I am a tad confused here. From your article

GREAT NECK, N.Y. - A village on Long Island's "gold coast" is banning smoking on public sidewalks in front of businesses. Violators could face a $1,000 fine.

While I am not a fan and agree with many of the arguments made, the OP seems less than honest to me. Can you clarify where you see smoking being banned in all buildings, sidewalks, and parks?

Statewide smoking ban: Effective April 1, 2003, smoking is banned statewide in all enclosed workplaces in New York, including all bars and restaurants and construction sites.
Any public buildings, smoking is banned as of 2003.

On Tuesday evening, January 4, 2011, the village board of Great Neck approved a ban on smoking on public sidewalks in front of stores and other businesses. The board has said that this is the first ban on sidewalk smoking in New York State.
2011 All public sidewalks smoking is banned.

Public parks..
www.bloomberg.com...

New York City would expand its ban on smoking in indoor workplaces to outdoor venues including public parks and beaches under a proposed law backed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and City Council leaders.

It's part of the new law currently being passed.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Mastermook

That still leaves an awful lot of buildings and sidewalks not effected by the ban.
See where my confusion comes in yet?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Tyredofit

I just wanted to clarify in my response from earlier to your post. I've been thinking about it for some time, and I'm sorry if you are having health problems from "second hand smoke". You know it's not my prerogative to say weather one is right or not. How you feel isn't right or wrong, because feelings are what they are. I hope you can resolve your health issues and live a happy healthy life. I should be more understanding towards your plight of health. I don't know the science behind your illness. I don't want to sound inconsiderate in regards to what you stated. Didn't mean it to sound harsh. I Hope you have a great day today and I'll keep you in my prayers.
edit on 14-1-2011 by Mastermook because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join