It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A history of The Open Chemical Physics Journal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
As we all know the journal was met with scepticism and made the news when Herrit, Jones and the rest of their team published the paper.

What I would be curious about, does the journal have an history of controversy and generally troubles of being taken seriously in the scientific community PRIOR to the publication of Joneses paper, or was it just one journal out of many and smearing of the journal started only AFTER Joneses paper was rendered public?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666
was it just one journal out of many and smearing of the journal started only AFTER Joneses paper was rendered public?

I wouldn't call it smearing as much as it is the truth in this case. But yes, there have been problems (at least with the TOISCIJ) BEFORE Jones' paper was published :

Nonsense paper

Using SCIgen, a software that generates grammatically correct, “context-free” (i.e. nonsensical) papers in computer science, I quickly created an article, complete with figures, tables, and references. It looks pretty professional until you read it. For example:

In this section, we discuss existing research into red-black trees, vacuum tubes, and courseware [10]. On a similar note, recent work by Takahashi suggests a methodology for providing robust modalities, but does not offer an implementation .

The manuscript, entitled “Deconstructing Access Points” was submitted on January 29th, 2009, to The Open Information Science Journal (TOISCIJ), a journal that claims to enforce peer-review.

After the "peer-review" of the nonsense paper :

Bentham confirmed receipt of my submission the very next day (January 30, 2009). Nearly four months later, I received a response — the article was accepted. The acceptance letter read:

This is to inform you that your submitted article has been accepted for publication after peer-reviewing process in TOISCIJ. I would be highly grateful to you if you please fill and sign the attached fee form and covering letter and send them back via email as soon as possible to avoid further delay in publication.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I am confused is the Open Information Science Journal the same journal as the open chemical physics journal? Are those different rubrics within the same journal?
edit on 6-1-2011 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

They are not the exact same journal no, they are both Bentham Open journals :

www.bentham.org...

www.bentham.org...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Well the good newss is, the editors quit after they realized their mistake of accepting a bogus report, and publishing it. So that means them publishing this one had more scrutiny and they would be forth coming in their mistake, if infact publishing it is a mistake.. which I believe it is not.. So how long must we wait before its ok to accept the paper?

top topics

join