It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'N'-Word Edited Out Of Latest Huck Finn Edition

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
So the kids can hear it in their music, watch rap videos at their friends house, and see it said on t.v., but don't let them read a classic book or it will teach them predjudice? I think Mr. Twain may have had a few words for the politically correct madness of today.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
So the kids can hear it in their music, watch rap videos at their friends house, and see it said on t.v., but don't let them read a classic book or it will teach them predjudice? I think Mr. Twain may have had a few words for the politically correct madness of today.

So we do agree on something!
Here's a quote from Mr. Clemens, himself:

In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

You are obviously a racist who enjoys humiliating African American people who were once slaves! Good one! Move on and forge the racist stuff like that! I am extremely right wing but one thing I do not tolerate is unnecessary racism!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It is just a word. If you are offended by that word then it is your fault that it is a tool used by idiots.

Put the word back in the book, let our children see it so that they may not be afraid of it as some of you are. Maybe then the word will no longer carry any power over certain people and it will fade from memory.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
What you geniuses don’t understand is that they scrubbed the word from the text for the same reason you can’t say it here.

That’s good for ATS.

There are other derogatory terms applied to other races, for instance don’t you think that if the Jewish slur the K word is used in a public discourse the ADL and other Jewish groups would be all over you.

Or the C word regarding white people, or the S word regarding Hispanic people.

All these words are foul and aimed at degrading people and should be banned amongst humans who seek to be civilized.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
What you geniuses don’t understand is that they scrubbed the word from the text for the same reason you can’t say it here. That’s good for ATS.

The reason that you can't use it on ATS is so that it doesn't show up on search engines, both attracting bugs and upsetting advertisers. I can't argue...quality doesn't pay for itself.

But...to delete it from a classic is to whitewash the past. What would Twain say? There's the key.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

What you geniuses don’t understand is that they scrubbed the word from the text for the same reason you can’t say it here.

That’s good for ATS.

There are other derogatory terms applied to other races, for instance don’t you think that if the Jewish slur the K word is used in a public discourse the ADL and other Jewish groups would be all over you.

Or the C word regarding white people, or the S word regarding Hispanic people.

All these words are foul and aimed at degrading people and should be banned amongst humans who seek to be civilized.

"K word"- Next time you see Porkys on television, notice the use of the word.

"C word"- Watch any Chris Rock movie on television. He loves the word. Oh and it was used on Barbershop among others.

"S word"- Been used many times on television. Just can't seem to recall the shows.

All these words are used free and easy on open air on basic cable without any edits or beeps. They are only foul mouthed because people are to weak to ignore them.

Ignore them and they lose power. Give them attention and they grow stronger.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Also, children are very impressionable if they hear that word in a setting like a school some may think it is approved by society.

Do we want children to read books with curse words in them?
Or other adult material . . . of course not, that’s the point in taking the word out of children’s reach.

Children as much as possible should be shielded from the evil we adults will eventually heap on them, such as racism, sexism, and other forms of hatred, I don’t think we need to rush the matter.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

reply to post by phatpackage

It is either edited or completely banned!

That is a false choice. Don't fall for it, people. Problem, reaction, solution.

Goal: Censor the "N-word" from a classic piece of American Literature.
Obstacle: American's will cry "censorship!" and possible ACLU lawsuits will follow

Problem: Ban the "uncensored" version of the book from schools because the "N-word" is (insert objection here)
Reaction: People demand American students have book in curriculum no matter what the cost
Solution: Create a censored version of the book so that the "People's Demands" can be met

If people cry "censorship" - then say "It's either edited (note: the word 'censored' isn't used) or completely banned!"
edit on 5-1-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

How about all those classics with violence and sex, should we expose children to them without censer because they are classics?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

Becasue adults use these terms then we should therfore expose that stuff to children?

Also, just becasue adults do it doesnt make it moral or right.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Furthermore, what you folks also don’t understand is this.

That book may be a classic to the dominant European American cultures but when it was written black Americans were being lynched in the south, oppressed, and just out of slavery.
I doubt it was a classic to them.

Would a Nazi story about WWII where they used the K word be a classic to Jews who were oppressed by the Nazis?

edit on 5-1-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Becasue adults use these terms then we should therfore expose that stuff to children?

Also, just becasue adults do it doesnt make it moral or right.

When they are old enough, yes. I'm sure 3 year olds aren't reading this book. I for one will not shelter my child to the bad things in this world. I will prepare her for the world so that it does not chew her up and spit her out when she ventures into it.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Would a Nazi story about WWII where they used the K word be a classic to Jews who were oppressed by the Nazis?

edit on 5-1-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)

Schindlers list.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Someone else who supports racist terms against African Americans! They do not need to be reminded of this! All it does is start trouble & perpetuate racial hatred between two groups of people. With all the wrongful hatred against the US from the enemy Americans should not be doing this to each other! The term is racism at its finest no matter what the context!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

How about all those classics with violence and sex, should we expose children to them without censer because they are classics?

I read Huck Finn when I was about 10. I understood it then. Have you read it?

If some books are deemed to be classified as age appropriate, so be it. You gonna #can the Merchant of Venice because it depicts a Jew in a bad light?

Tell you what...you host the bonfire, I'll bring the marshmallows.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

Let's get rid of roots as well then................oh no, blacks using the n word in literature, or is it ok. for you if they can do it?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

So we do agree on something!
Here's a quote from Mr. Clemens, himself:

In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards.
We agree on quite a few things actually, I don't post on everything. This however is just politically correct lunacy......

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Then were do you draw the line in school. Do you want to expose youths and teenagers to wonton violence, bad language, sex and evil and then not think that may damage the children possibly? There has to be some standards I think.

And shouldn’t that be left up to the parents.
I don’t think if they left that word in Huck Finn it would do any damage to anyone, but people have an interest in protecting youths as much as possible until they are mature enough.
I also don’t think censoring the word from children will do any damage to society.

I don’t at all support censuring the book in libraries or any other place, in fact, I don’t really care one way or the other, I’m just making the point that I understand the intention of the censuring.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Then were do you draw the line in school. Do you want to expose youths and teenagers to wonton violence, bad language, sex and evil and then not think that may damage the children possibly? There has to be some standards I think.

And shouldn’t that be left up to the parents.
I don’t think if they left that word in Huck Finn it would do any damage to anyone, but people have an interest in protecting youths as much as possible until they are mature enough.
I also don’t think censoring the word from children will do any damage to society.

I don’t at all support censuring the book in libraries or any other place, in fact, I don’t really care one way or the other, I’m just making the point that I understand the intention of the censuring.

If you understand the intent of censuring then you support it. As for the rest of your post, I explained my view and will not repeat myself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join