It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Flu deaths continue to increase

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

it thrives inn the body at 37 degrees celcius

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

It replicates in the body in your cells, like viruses do, but it still loves the cold.

We all know influenza is more common in winter. But researchers have not known why. Virologist doctor Peter Palese has been studying the effects of heat and cold on the flu virus. He found that at higher temperatures, the flu virus didn’t spread, but at colder temperature it did. “The virus is probably more stable in cold temperature, so it hangs in the air much longer,” Dr. Palese told Ivanhoe.

SOURCE

Thats not the only source. I think your probably referring to other bugs.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Now I know that H1N1 has been overhyped last year but there is a reason for that. This flu can be deadly to young and healthy individuals. It showed signs of it last year but it fizzled out. This time, it has killed quite a few young and healthy people, just like the 1918 strain. It also mutates, like all flu viruses, every three months. It could become more virulent so be aware. A very good friend of mine, 38 very healthy, nearly died of H1N1 last year. She was in intensive care but luckily pulled through. Please do not be complacent, wash your hands and don't touch people if you can help it.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

You are right the virus does survive in winter better . However it is not because of the cold.
It is because of the lack of heat.

People are indoors more often during the winter, they are in close contact more often, and this promotes transmission from person to person.

Cold temperatures lead to drier air, which may dehydrate mucus, preventing the body from effectively expelling virus particles.

The virus may linger longer on exposed surfaces (doorknobs, countertops, etc.) in colder temperatures.

In nations where children do not go to school in the summer, there is a more pronounced beginning to flu season, coinciding with the start of public school.

It is thought that the creche environment is perfect for the spread of illness.

Vitamin D production from Ultraviolet-B in the skin changes with the seasons and affects the immune system.

Recent research done by National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) found that the influenza virus has a "butter-like coating". The coating melts when it enters the respiratory tract. In the winter, the coating becomes a hardened shell; therefore, it can survive in the cold weather similar to a spore. In the summer, the coating melts before the virus reaches the respiratory tract

How long influenza survives in airborne droplets seems to be influenced by the levels of humidity and UV radiation: with low humidity and a lack of sunlight in winter aiding its survival.

Another factor is that cold temperatures lead to drier air, which may dehydrate mucus, preventing the body from effectively expelling virus particles. The virus also survives longer on surfaces at colder temperatures and aerosol transmission of the virus is highest in cold environments (less than 5 °C) with low relative humidity.[125] Indeed, the lower air humidity in winter seems to be the main cause of seasonal influenza transmission in temperate regions

However, seasonal changes in infection rates also occur in tropical regions, and in some countries these peaks of infection are seen mainly during the rainy season. Seasonal changes in contact rates from school terms, which are a major factor in other childhood diseases such as measles and pertussis, may also play a role in the flu. A combination of these small seasonal effects may be amplified by dynamical resonance with the endogenous disease cycles. H5N1 exhibits seasonality in both humans and birds.

An alternative hypothesis to explain seasonality in influenza infections is an effect of vitamin D levels on immunity to the virus.[ This idea was first proposed by Robert Edgar Hope-Simpson in 1965. He proposed that the cause of influenza epidemics during winter may be connected to seasonal fluctuations of vitamin D, which is produced in the skin under the influence of solar (or artificial) UV radiation. This could explain why influenza occurs mostly in winter and during the tropical rainy season, when people stay indoors, away from the sun, and their vitamin D levels fall.

My point was that it's not the cold that gets you. However I did not no the flu virus actually has its own protective coating in the cold.

Personally I think a vitamin D shortage is the problem. After all... The immune system is always the barrier between us and stuff that gets you sick. This is why most flu victims are either young or old because in between a fit persons immune system works good enough for people not to get sick from tthe flu at all.

Well as long as we see to its needs of course...

Edit to say that it is the immune system itself that causes those normally unaffected people to get sick from last years flu or the one from 1918.
It triggers a massive immune response that will cause the problem. If I remember correct

Source : Wikipedia flu and flu season.
edit on 12/31/2010 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I started a thread a few days ago on the same subject. Existing thread here... www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I had something almost like that just before Christmas with a low grade fever. It was a respiratory tract infection. There were no aches, big loss of energy, or fever spikes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join