It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I ♥ Boobies!" bracelet at center of free speech lawsuit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

When a federal court in Philadelphia convenes Thursday, lawyers dressed in suits and armed with stacks of legal briefs are expected to appear before a judge, ready to do battle over a seven-letter plural noun that's hard to say without cracking a smile: boobies.

Go ahead, try it. Boobies.

The slang term for a woman's breasts stands trial in a free speech lawsuit between the Easton Area School District and two middle school girls, who were suspended in October for refusing to remove bracelets reading "I ♥ Boobies!" in support of breast cancer awareness.

- www.mcall.com...

I want to get one of these bracelets lol. But seriously this is ridiculous. The school district will win in court of course.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
If it said "I Love (insert slang word for vagina)" that was suppose to be in support of the ASPCA this wouldn't be an issue. Same thing. Doesn't belong in a high school and the girls weren't wearing it to support breast cancer.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ericsnow

If my middle school aged daughter was wearing a bracelet that said "I ♥ boobies" to school I'd be highly upset.
It is completely inappropriate for that environment and for girls of that age.

Personally I think the "breast cancer" excuse they used is just that - an excuse to get away with something they already knew was far too edgy.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Maybe they were ornithologists as theres a species of bird called boobies ... Truly ridiculous the trivial things people take to court there...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Looks like this school bit off more than they could chew.
LANDMARK SUPREME COURT CASES ABOUT STUDENTS

Tinker v. Des Moines (1969)
Students do not leave their rights at the schoolhouse door.
To protest the Vietnam War, Mary Beth Tinker and her brother wore black armbands to school. Fearing a disruption, the administration prohibited wearing such armbands. The Tinkers were removed from school when they failed to comply, but the Supreme Court ruled that their actions were protected by the First Amendment.

There's a ton more cases like this.
If you don't want your kids wearing I heart boobies on their wrists then say so and do your job as a parent. But let's not force government to cool the First Amendment over a preference.

edit on 17-12-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by janon
If it said "I Love (insert slang word for vagina)" that was suppose to be in support of the ASPCA this wouldn't be an issue. Same thing. Doesn't belong in a high school and the girls weren't wearing it to support breast cancer.

You really think the word boobies is as bad as the "c-word"?
Obviously ATS disagrees with you. They don't censor out the word boobies.

Women can legally display their breasts (just not the nipples,) in public.
Women cannot legally display their vaginas in public.

Vaginas are sexual equipment.
Breasts are milk factories.

However you are right about one thing. The girls were not wearing these to support breast cancer.
What sadistic moron would support cancer?
The girls were wearing these to support research on treating cancer!!!

As for the "telepaths" here claiming to know the girls' true motives . . .
How do you know none of the girls had a mother or someone else close die from breast cancer?
Perhaps wearing these was an important show of loyalty to them.

This sort of censorship doesn't solve any problems.
This sort of censorship creates problems.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I love boobies.
Second line.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Where are the "I Love My Balls" bracelets for testicular cancer awareness?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

What? Actually I was talking about pussycat actually. I was saying that it wouldn't matter because neither would should be acceptable in school. You are reading way too much into it. Not sure how you could argue that a middle school student should be allowed to were anything that says "I love boobies" regardless of their intention.
edit on 19-12-2010 by janon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

Quite easily.

A multitude of stupid, petty laws/rules do nothing for society, nothing for character development, and keep authorities busy of time-wasting enforcement tasks. I value freedom, particularly freedom of speech, and children only learn about freedom by practising exercising it.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

unfortunately the only authorized boobies, in America, is the one on a Monsanto grown utter.

They don't want people thinking about the relation of growth hormones to cancer.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
of all the garbage we as a nation have to worry about...

I heart boobies too...

It is a good cause....

this case is real simple...

first amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

congress regulates the funding to schools out of the federal budget...

Unless your saying Americans do not have the right to voice there opinions with jewlery or other wearable items...

if so the teachers and staff must remove their wedding rings...

cant sell t-shirts supporting the local schools...

cant wear cross in support of your religion...

cant wear shoes with Nike, sketchers, ect...(supporting brands)
this means no Levi's, polo's, ect either...

PC is going to far.... this is another example of wasting Americas time from Americas business...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I think its doing what its suppose to, draw attention. Whats wrong with boobs? So it says boobies, its just a word a synonym, a childish one. I would feel indifferent, its to raise awareness so its suppose to draw attention.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES!!!

Woah, now that I got that out the way I feel better, I myself love the word boobies, it's the nicest way to describe that part of the body.

Now these two girls were wearing it to support cancer? in a fun way? Nice! what's the problem? Is something wrong with boobies? every woman has boobies, it's a very natural part of the body! That's right! Research it. It's proven as fact!

Are people ashamed of women? Do they not respect boobies? which has in fact been one of the most important aspects of human SURVIVAL, without BOOBIES we would be EXTINCT. That's right BOOBIES helped us get here. How many babies would have died if we did not have BOOBIES!!! Learn some history people!

BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES BOOBIES

Respect boobies people!

Peace.
edit on 19-12-2010 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

If my middle school aged daughter was wearing a bracelet that said "I ♥ boobies" to school I'd be highly upset.
It is completely inappropriate for that environment and for girls of that age.

Personally I think the "breast cancer" excuse they used is just that - an excuse to get away with something they already knew was far too edgy.

~Heff

Highly upset? Dramatic much! I would be more upset at the fact that the school is putting out there that 'boobies' are a taboo subject, especially if the bands were originally designed to promote breast cancer awareness. Whether the girls were wearing them for that specific reason is actually quite irrelevant, as everyone knows, publicity is publicity, and if seeing those bands on those girls wrists inspired just ONE woman to check herself when she got home, then I say that's a good thing!

top topics

join