It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Orleans police officer says he burned car with body inside because he was stressed, exhausted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

New Orleans police officer says he burned car with body inside because he was stressed, exhausted

www.nola.com

Eliot Kamenitz, Times-Picayune archiveGreg McRae, a 27-year NOPD veteran, choked up at times as he recounted the stress of Hurricane Katrina and his decision to abandon and burn Henry Glover's body beside a levee in Algiers.A veteran New Orleans police officer said he purposely torched a car containing a gunshot victim's body in the days after Hurricane Katrina because he was stressed, exhausted and felt disorder had gripped the city.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Now this is heart breaking.

I don't really know how I would react in that situation and can certainly understand a little bit of extreme action.

"Sometimes I would get into water up to my chest," he said, tripping over his own words. He said he felt complete helplessness. "Nobody was coming to help us. Nobody seemed to care. But we kept rescuing people."

Certainly a tragic story and I for one hope he's cleared of all charges considering the circumstances.

Thoughts?

~Keeper

www.nola.com

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Now this is heart breaking.

I don't really know how I would react in that situation and can certainly understand a little bit of extreme action.

"Sometimes I would get into water up to my chest," he said, tripping over his own words. He said he felt complete helplessness. "Nobody was coming to help us. Nobody seemed to care. But we kept rescuing people."

Certainly a tragic story and I for one hope he's cleared of all charges considering the circumstances.

Thoughts?

~Keeper

www.nola.com

Here is some information concerning this case, I had seen the documentary last week. This may change your views about the incident/murder.

www.propublica.org...

To recap:

David Warren, the former officer indicted for allegedly shooting Glover with a .223 rifle round, was accompanied by another officer when he fired the shot.

William Tanner
William Tanner
At that point, a man named William Tanner tried to help Glover, driving him and his brother to seek medical assistance at an elementary school that had been commandeered by a SWAT team of officers. (Tanner didn’t know that Glover had allegedly been shot by a police officer.)

The SWAT officers at the school failed to provide Glover with any medical assistance. Instead, prosecutors say, Lt. Dwayne Scheuermann and Officer Greg McRae “kicked and hit” Tanner and Glover’s brother, Edward King, without cause.

Numerous – possibly dozens – of other officers were likely present at the site of the alleged beatings. In an interview this week, a SWAT officer told me 50 to 60 cops were camped out at the school at any given time in the days after Katrina. (The officer declined to comment directly on the Glover matter.)

After Glover died, prosecutors say in the indictment, Scheuermann and McRae set fire to Glover’s body as it sat inside Tanner’s 2001 Chevrolet Malibu, which was parked on a Mississippi River levee.

That spot lies a remarkably short distance from the NOPD’s 4th District headquarters. All my reporting shows many other officers were aware that a man had been reduced to ashes there -- it’s hard to fathom how cops stationed a few hundred feet away could have failed to notice such an inferno.

Yet none of these officers apparently saw fit to speak out about what happened at the time, or to alert superiors to possible misconduct by their peers.

When I began looking into Glover’s death, nobody at NOPD had conducted any sort of probe -- in fact the burnt car was still sitting in the weeds just down the street from the police station.

His mother, Edna Glover, told me she’d gone to the department and made a police report, but had never received any real help in uncovering what became of her son. In the months to come, perhaps she’ll finally get a full accounting.

And hopefully, somewhere along the way somebody will ask the question: Who else within the NOPD knew about the sad and horrible death of Henry Glover?

Peace, NRE.

Also here is the documentary about the whole case.
www.pbs.org...
edit on 29-11-2010 by NoRegretsEver because: add link

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Ohh wow.

I did not think it was this sort of issue.

That information certainly does change my perspective.

I'm going to research this a bit further...

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Not sure that I fell real sorry for him.. he did afterall burn the evidence from a police shooting. There were also conflicting reports of how the shooting went down from various other witnesses.

But we will never know now.. since in his "troubled state", he disposed of any and all evidence.

This story was also in the recent Katrina documentary by Spike Lee... It truly smells of cover-up.

edit on 29-11-2010 by TwiTcHomatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Yeah the more I read the more it seems like they covered this whole thing up and are still trying to do so today.

The lack of official reports is something of interest, although I can understand how some things would not have been done properly considering the chaos in the aftermath of Katrina.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Honestly the whole story doesn't shock me one bit. NOPD are notorious for playing dirty pool with people's lives. I am from a city just 2hrs west of NO and I have only been to NO a few times and have heard numerous things about NOPD before Katrina. I feel bad for the victim whose body got burned and his brother. This just goes to show you how much power the police in some cities think they have. I bet none of them thought this would come back to bite them in the you know what. That is karma coming back for vengeance (sp??).

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Thoughts?

~Keeper

He was laughing his ass off all the way up the bank, after torching the guy. His partner was horrified, and testified against him in federal court.

Personally, I hope le cochon qui rit gets the death penalty.

Scheuermann had a blank look on his face, but McRae was laughing, Meisch said.

'Laughing like somebody had just played a joke?' Assistant U.S. Attorney Tracey Knight asked.

'It could have been humorous or nervous laughter,' he said.

Meisch said he asked what had happened, and McRae told him not to worry about it.

'I got it,' Scheuermann added, according to Meisch.

link

top topics

join