It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

all forms of polygamy contribute to the discrimination of women and the sexualisation of young girls

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Canadian court examines polygamy laws

A LAWYER for the provincial British Columbia Government is warning a judge that declaring polygamy a protected religious practice would make Canada the only Western country to allow multiple marriages.

The British Columbia Supreme Court is examining whether banning polygamy violates Canada's version of the bill of rights in a case that will focus on the small polygamous community of Bountiful, British Columbia.

Craig Jones, a lawyer for the province, said today all forms of polygamy contribute to the discrimination of women and the sexualisation of young girls.

The BC government asked the court last year to decide whether Canada's polygamy laws are constitutional after repeated failures to prosecute the two leaders of Bountiful.

Read more: www.news.com.au...

and my comment is that unless there is some form of disadvantage the woman is facing she will never agree to polygamy

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by megabyte

A LAWYER for the provincial British Columbia Government is warning a judge that declaring polygamy a protected religious practice would make Canada the only Western country to allow multiple marriages.

As far as I am aware, it is legal in Utah....
Is the USA no longer considered a Western Nation?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Polygamy is not legal in Utah, but it is rarely prosecuted there.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by megabyte

If a consenting woman wants to marry a man and a woman, or a man with 30 wives, it's none of your, or the governments business.

Stating that unless someone is facing a disadvantage they will never agree to something is just plain ignorant.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Polygamy is legal in the UK, providing the marriage took place in a country where it is legal.... You cannot perform a ploygamous marriage in the UK, however..

That said, I agree with the poster who said it should be none of the Governments business, providing all parties consent. At the end of the day, a man could bypass the law and just have 20 girlfriends live with him, or even a woman could have 20 men in her house. It is entirely down to the persons involved.

It is really just an extension of swinging, which is quite legal in most Western nations. Me and my misuss have indulged in that particular pass time and it harms no one..
edit on 22/11/10 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
There is nothing wrong with polygamy and polyandry, as long as it is consentual. That said, I dont understand whats the point of legal regulation of marriage in its current form. Civil unions (registered partnerships) should be the only legaly recognized framework for union for two or more people, including for heterosexual pairs.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
There is nothing wrong with polygamy and polyandry, as long as it is consentual. That said, I dont understand whats the point of legal regulation of marriage in its current form. Civil unions (registered partnerships) should be the only legaly recognized framework for union for two or more people, including for heterosexual pairs.

when something goes wrong with a relationship they all want the courts to sort things out

a marriage is really a pre-nuptual agreement and makes it easy to sort out property and custody of minors and child suppoer according to a standard set of laws

this is the reason why governement legislates relationships - because it is good for the children that there are regulations.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by megabyte

when something goes wrong with a relationship they all want the courts to sort things out a marriage is really a pre-nuptual agreement and makes it easy to sort out property and custody of minors and child suppoer according to a standard set of laws this is the reason why governement legislates relationships - because it is good for the children that there are regulations.

Relationship of parenthood and custody of minors needs to be legislated, of course I agree with that. But you do not need marriage for that, just the institute of parenthood.

The purpose of legal marriage is to sort out property, heritage, providing of information about health, etc. I dont see any reason why this has to be restricted just for couples.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I'm a man interested in polygamy. I believe that my spouses would have to be interested and agree to want be in a polygamist family.
Bibical Families
Biblical Families is a Christian based polygamy site. A lot of great success stories and information for people who are interested in the topic for polygamy.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
It becomes a problem when the children are 15 and under and "groomed" to be married to someone in particular who has multiple wives already.

I'm not against polygamy so long as it's also legal for women to have multiple husbands. But I do have a problem when one of the participants is under the age of 18.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by juniperberry

I agree with you on that. There many groups who do this. I would love to have a woman older then 18 and who can think for herself. Even though I'm going to bite my tongue admitting this. I believe a woman can have multiple husbands. Yet I think it's more normal for a man to have more then one wife.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Our Criminal Code polygamy law specifically states that polygamy is illegal.

And the Canadian definition of polygamy is the conjugal relationship with 2 or more persons at the same time. So anyone with a wife and mistress can go to jail. Or even those engaging in 3somes... and the definition is broad enough to include anyone who has 2 or more girl/boyfriends they are sleeping with.

We have a BC woman right now who apparently has a common-law relationship with 2 men who wants the polygamy laws repealed as well.. so it seems like a not-uncommon occurrence.

I don't know whether or not I'm glad I'm the jealous type..

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I'm starting a polyandrous cult. Leave ur application at the compound gate...

Kim

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by juniperberry

Well life is difficult for one person or just a couple alone. Money is hard to come by and if you're in a polygamist relationship and you want kids. That is a lot of work! You can only have so much for yourself. Your life would be family life. It is possible to be able have children without being arrested in a polygamist relationship. If any of you have seen the show and the Dugger family then you can see how one room for boys and one for girls would be just fine.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Why is it anybody's business when two or more consenting ADULTS decide they want to be married? What's the problem?

Who does it affect other than them?

How does it contribute to the discrimination of women or the sexualisation of young girls? I would think MTV, Rap Music and about a hundred other reasons are doing that FAR more than polygamy is.

More non issues being discussed when there are so many important issues to deal with.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I agree with your statement! Maybe it's that more groups like the Mormon Church that do polygamy with young children and force women into marriage then other couples that hey you guys are weirdos.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

I agree with your statement! Maybe it's that more groups like the Mormon Church that do polygamy with young children and force women into marriage then other couples that hey you guys are weirdos.

Yes, that's wrong. Any chid being placed in an adult situation by adults is child abuse, pure and simple.

But of course we are only shown the extremist side of polygamy in order to make you think it's bad and that everybody is molesting and marrying children.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

How does it contribute to the discrimination of women or the sexualisation of young girls?

Because, in a lot of cases, the 'wife' is less than 16 years old. Not actually considered a 'consenting adult'. These children are 'groomed' into the role and are not provided with opportunities to understand that there is another way of life.

If you don't think this is true, then look up the name of "Brenda Jensen" who was a 14 year old child bride in Bountiful BC before she ran away...

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

That's what I hate about it. At least there are sites where I can look for women who are old enough to comment to that kind of relationship. Being in that type of relationship is family first. Whether you have kids or not with the women. You're no longer an individual. I do recall being from California. That Child Protection Service said that boys and girls should be segregated. Since they believe kids from an early age hit puberty. If I ever come to terms with having kids then I will follow the idea of the Duagger family and have one room for the boys and another room for girls. Just to ease everything out.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I don't get polygamy. I can barely put up with one woman let alone 2 or 3.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join