It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four in 10 Say Marriage Is Becoming Obsolete

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Is marriage becoming obsolete?

As families gather for Thanksgiving this year, nearly one in three American children is living with a parent who is divorced, separated or never-married. More people are accepting the view that wedding bells aren't needed to have a family.

A study by the Pew Research Center highlights rapidly changing notions of the American family. And the Census Bureau, too, is planning to incorporate broader definitions of family when measuring poverty, a shift caused partly by recent jumps in unmarried couples living together.

About 29 percent of children under 18 now live with a parent or parents who are unwed or no longer married, a fivefold increase from 1960, according to the Pew report being released Thursday. Broken down further, about 15 percent have parents who are divorced or separated and 14 percent who were never married. Within those two groups, a sizable chunk -- 6 percent -- have parents who are live-in couples who opted to raise kids together without getting married.

Source: www.cnsnews.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I have no problem with making a life commitment to a partner.

I'd get married this afternoon if it didnt involve getting state approval. But since I have to pay a fee and ask the state for permission to enter into this union the state can go suck a hot fart.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
What message does that send to the future generations? That God's plan for the family, i.e. marriage, is no longer needed?

Why do children need married parents?

Are married parents really better for children?

Why children thrive with married parents

Marriage and family go hand in hand.

As a 20 year old, I, like many other normal people, would want a happy marriage, and that is what I am going to pursue in the future.

What do you think?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

Not being married doesnt mean there isnt a mother and a father in the home 24/7 for the children.

If I got "married" in the eyes of my respective 'god' but not in the eyes of the state am I still unfit to be a parent from your perspective?

Is one more "married" than the other? It'd be interesting to hear somebody who's churchy say it's marriage in the states eyes that matters over marriage in 'gods' eyes. What's "legal" trumps what's "holy?"
"

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
My wife and I are married by Common Law. We wrote the contract between us together, and the words of love to say to each other. We are married in every sense of the word, including a binding contract, but the State is not included in the wording of the contract, and is in fact prevented from interfering with any part of it.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

My wife and I also share a commitment that is equivilent to marriage, but we see no need to make it 'official' by having some state ordain paper saying so...

does that change the fact that I consider her my wife and she considers me her husband?
does not having a marriage certificate change how we feel or treat each other?

more and more people are coming to the conclusion that marriage is about the state collecting fees and taxes off what was once considered a blessed union

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I will have been married 19 years by Thanksgiving. Marriage takes commitment, responsibility and love.
Marriages are like roller coasters, constantly moving up or down, fast and slow. People must change together
with situations, eras, hobbies, interests, etc... Most people today lack in honesty and morals. Without trust
and dignity a relationship fails. Marriages are not harliquene romances, they can sometimes be a partenership like a business with love. Especially when children and businesses are involved. Commitment is essential.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Four in 10 Say Marriage Is Becoming Obsolete

. . . make that five in 11.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by frugal

Great post. I agree. But it doesn't have to be a state sanctioned (legal) marriage.

I've been married for 18 years and if I were doing it today, I wouldn't go through the state. Maybe we'll even get a divorce!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
You either love someone or you don't. A bit of paper or a vow won't make any difference to that.

Marriage on a religious level is a different kettle of fish all together. You are making a vow to god to stay together until you die and probably for an eternity in heaven if there is such a place. Maybe for some that would be hell.
Therefore people shouldn't be making a vow to god on such a life sentence. We all change as we get older, for some it will work out fine but for others they will either have t break that vow or live the rest of their life in misery.

Those that marry and aren't religious, well why bother making a vow to god in the first place as it doesn't mean anything.

I don't agree with marriage as such but I'm all for celebrations of unions between two people based on the day they got together.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos
Those that marry and aren't religious, well why bother making a vow to god in the first place as it doesn't mean anything.

Why, indeed? No one vowed anything to God in our marriage. No religious words were spoken.
Our 'vows' were made to each other. Marriage isn't necessarily a thing involving religion. There are secular marriages (like mine) that have nothing to do with God or a church.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Lol, marriage is obsolete? Yet, all of the common law , life partners's, etc that I know are married.

They have made a life long commitment to one another. That is marriage.

Marriage doesn't need a religious or states sanction in my opinion.

new topics

top topics

join