It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women are voluntarily stepping into body scanners.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
With all of the talk about the TSA scanners, I found this funny.

I saw this on the news last night. It is a body scanner that tells women their correct jean sizes. Ladies are actually excited about having their bodies scanned because they can go shopping afterward.

The machine is called My Best Fit.

Link to company
www.mybestfit.com...

Here is the link to the news story with video
"http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2010/11/16/putting-the-‘jean-machine’-to-the-test/"
For some reason the news story link will not post correctly, so copy and past.

I just found this very funny after all of the complaints about the TSA scanners.

J.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Wow,

You would have thought we would have learned our lesson with the Xray machine they used to employ to check for a perfect fit for shoes...

www.museumofquackery.com...

~meathead

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Double post,

my apologies,

~meathead
edit on 17-11-2010 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by J-in-TX

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a good pair of jeans, that fit?

It's second only to shopping for swimsuits...

edit on 17-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Actually I do. Every time my girlfriend gets a new pair of jeans, she sits in the bath tub until they shrink to fit her legs. And then we go for a walk as she wears them dry.

I do the same thing with a new pair of coyboy boots (sometimes end up with some blisters), or sometimes with a cheap felt hat (my custom hats are fitted to my head by the maker). But, that is FAR easier than doing it with pants.

I just thought it was funny as it seems that most of the complaints about the TSA seem to be coming from ladies. My girlfriend says she would rather use one of these than do the bath tub trick.

J.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

As a woman? I'd rather be literally forced to wear an ill fitting pair of jeans for the rest of my life than ever willingly step foot in one of the rapistscan machines, even if it has nothing to do with security. If/when I fly again, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm going to be opting out.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Do you have any proof that the jeans scanners produce an image of the woman's naked body?

If not, this has nothing to do with airport scanners.

Even if they did, what some people choose to do voluntarily has nothing to do with what a whole group should have forced on them.

If it did, it would be ok for me to do all manner of odd things to you.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I'd like to add some important distinctions that need to be made between this and the TSA.

1. No women are being forced to undergo a scan in order to shop for clothing.

2. The scan is entirely voluntary and is conducted by private individuals who have equal power with the customer.

3. The scan does not produce an image, it results in measurement points used to compute clothing sizes.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I probably should have been more clear in my reply, meaning likely I shouldn't have posted in the wee hours of the AM with no sleep. . I don't know if the jeeans measuring machine creates images or not. My main issue with the scanners is that there is no possible way that anyone can convince me the machines are safe to one's health.

Have they tested the machines? Yes. Have the tested the machines LONG enough? Not at all. How many things over the years has the FDA 'tested extensively' then allowed on the market only for us to learn more than a decade later that the product was NOT safe at all. Sacchrine comes to mind here, along with many perscription drugs.. The FDA is far from infallible, and is also chock full of cronies helping out their friends (remember Monsanto's swinging door with the W administration?)

Come the year 2020, if there have been no significant amount of cases of cancer or other phyiscal issues that have been linked to this technology? Then, and only then, will I consider ever getting inside one of those machines.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ProvehitoInAltum

IMHO - the machine (for shopping) is a marketing gimmick.

Any woman knows that shopping (especially for jeans) means trying them on; lots and lots and lots of styles/brands until you (are maybe) lucky to find the ONE style/brand you like. Hopefully, you are one of the lucky one's that don't then have to have them tailored. This machine, will not change any of that - though it *may narrow down the search, Lol. I would not use it, simply because I already know what fits and what doesn't.

edit on 18-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Why is this surprising? Woman do just about anything for fashion. This is true through out history, no reason they'd act any differently now.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by J-in-TX

if only tsa could work that bit of incentive for the body imaging machines. not only will it check for illegal contraband, but also your jean size and body fat percentage. for a few bucks more, you could probably get an mri as you board your flight.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
What possible good is a body scan for jeans when they're all sold off the rack? You'll still have to buy the same size as before ..or were you girls trying on size 28's all your life and need a body scanner to know you're really a size 6?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
this is a conspiracy... it is how the TPTB do it, they target our women and children hoping the men will fall in line which is somewhat true because women create more of our world than most people realize. I do not want to sound sexist and I am not but this is easy to prove now because, well... just look at who we have for a POTUS. I dont see any G.W.B. sex dolls floating around on the internet.

we do it all for the nookie ! and I liked the world better when women wanted long-hair rock&rollers...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
Why is this surprising? Woman do just about anything for fashion. This is true through out history, no reason they'd act any differently now.

Please do not generalize about women. Some of us find the Madison Avenue 'quest for fashion' to be ridiculous. It's really just another form of conformity. Here you have a handful of people who chose every year what will be 'fashionable' what makeup will be 'in' for the season. It's a brilliant marketing scheme when you think about it. Generate products that will only be 'useful' for a season... which insures the clothing manufacturers profits because people 'must have' what is new.

I don't subscribe to that ridiculousness, and neither do many of my female friends.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProvehitoInAltum

I don't subscribe to that ridiculousness, and neither do many of my female friends.

This is true. There is a very good reason some styles are considered "classic" and stand the test of time. A good pair of Jeans is one of those items, but a body scanner to find the "right" pair plus a cost of $300 (give or take) for that "right" pair? Ouch... no thanks!

edit on 18-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
They should have an "Extra pat down" feature for men to opt into...
You know.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by J-in-TX

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a good pair of jeans, that fit?

It's second only to shopping for swimsuits...

edit on 17-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

Simple if your looking for wearability but your shooting for body glove.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Remember how they got women to smoke back in the day?
Debutants and fashion.
Gee, that worked out swell for the women who fell for it.

Come to think of it, that's how they got women two wear torture jeans two sizes too small in the first place.
"Look dear only 250 dollars a pair....and it's already got rips in it!"

You women out there who would use this machine realize its being promoted to shopping women so the chinese made jeans aren't so tight that they explode off the girl thats stuffed into them before the warrenty is up because they use rubber dog barf for stiching....its so much cheaper then thread....
Not to mention the cost will be leveraged into every pair of jeans....
Half the deal at twice the price....

A measuring tape is a lot safer, cheaper, and more private, no?

PS: D.A.s are now sending police to airports to investigate the felony groping charges....
edit on 18-11-2010 by Danbones because: *sigh* if you saw the tight pair of jeans that just walked by my window, you'ld be posting gibberish for an hour or so too...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

The technology is the same.

What you see on the monitor may not be what gets stored in the machine's memory.

Additional from reply:

How would this machine address comfort?

Correct fit does not neccessarily provide best comfort.
edit on 18-11-2010 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join