It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women who smoke heavily create career criminals.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Children whose mothers smoke heavily during pregnancy are more likely to become career criminals, research suggests.
Heavy smoking is linked to offending regardless of whether the child was brought up in socially deprived circumstances, a study found.
Experts from the Harvard School of Public Health in the US found an increased risk for women who smoked 20 or more cigarettes a day during pregnancy.

www.google.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Any direct link between the woman's nicotine intake and the child growing up to be a criminal, seems a little tenuous to me.

I would say that it's more likely that the sort of woman who smokes 20 cigarettes a day while pregnant, isn't overly concerned about the welfare of her prospective child.

If she carries over the lack of concern for her child's welfare after the child is born, then the child - through lack of adequate care and attention - will be more likely to go off-the-rails and get into trouble.

It's like those studies that say that children who watch 8 hours of television a day are more likely to exhibit anti-social behaviour when they get older.

The reason for this is probably not because of the television content, but because the sort of parents who put their children in front of the television for 8-hours a day, are unattentive, and probably fail in other ways that would contribute to behavioural problems in their children as they get older.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Well that gives me a lot of hope! My ex smoked while she was pregnant. Of course I voiced my disdain, but alas, she continued. My son is a great child. I feel he will turn out just fine, so long as I support him and show him that I love him.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Or that a woman who smokes is self medicating for some anxiety disorder or perhaps depression, or who knows what else, and it is the underlying condition she is trying to self medicate that causes the problem.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
What is the point of this study?
I mean, who sat there and thought this up and then set out to prove it?? What would the hypotheisis even look like!?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The only career criminals are the tobacco companies and the Federal Government cronies laying in bed with them,

Nuff said.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NonKonphormist

I assume my mum smoked, like amny of yours did. I have no crimes in my life, as the police who where desperate to destroy me can testify as they have tried there best to find them lol.

My mum smokes, but i have no crimes in my life.

So this report is rubbish.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NonKonphormist
Children whose mothers smoke heavily during pregnancy are more likely to become career criminals, research suggests.
Heavy smoking is linked to offending regardless of whether the child was brought up in socially deprived circumstances, a study found.
Experts from the Harvard School of Public Health in the US found an increased risk for women who smoked 20 or more cigarettes a day during pregnancy.

www.google.com...

I call BULLSH*T on this one. Look into the past everyone smoked 50 years ago. This is based on fear and the sheep that eat fear up.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
the study does not prove anything...
the pressures or the factors that draw a person into habits like smoking are the root cause...

a person may engage in any number of behaviors .. smoking, drinking, swearing, yelling, fighting,
eating disorders, maschochism, self-flaggelation.... and any of these parental behaviors may well nurture
the child into behaviors that lead to adolesent aggressions or disicipline problems, vandalism, and future escalation into criminal behaviors....

saying smoking Moms are the cause for delinquents and criminals --> is just too stoopid....

but hey, this group of Scientists got funded for this research & conclusions... who is more stupid?
the scientific team who produced the work...or the money tossing 'leaders' that funded the crap?
edit on 17-11-2010 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a link between low oxygen level in blood and criminal behaviour

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Seems to be a study to validate the "evils" of smoking more than anything else. In other words, just more anti-smoking propaganda. Personally I am still waiting on the one on fifth-hand smoke, where if you know someone that that once saw someone smoking a cigarette 2 blocks away from them, then that it will give cancer/your hair will fall out/you will forever break chain letters and have bad luck/etc.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Junk science strikes again.

Doom and gloom gets much more grant money. Every scientist knows this.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hmm maybe theres something in this.

We all know they Pebbles ended up doing a ten stretch for soliciting after the film work dried up!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

That is sooo wrong.

new topics

top topics

join