It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Smoke Monster and the Murderous Mists of Folklore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Hey ATS/ers,

I found this recent story and was surprised by the sheer volume of reports about smoke monsters terrorizing whole cities, killing people and livestock too. Apparently they've been sited in just about every century.

Written by Neil Arnold of the Fortrean Times
In Runcorn, Cheshire, in 1953, the festive season was disturbed by a tall, black apparition which killed 53 pigs at a farm owned by Harold Crowther. The Sunday Graphic of 27 December reported that the 15th-century farmhouse had been plagued by unusual events since 10 August, when a ghostly figure, resembling the deceased father of Mr Crowther’s wife, appeared; but it was clear that the monster which killed the pigs was an altogether more malevolent spectre.

Source: www.forteantimes.com...

Hope you enjoy the fun and interesting story!
Jason88

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Don't worry. The Smoke Monster just wants to get off the island. If we can pop the cork in the glowing cave, we might be able to slow him down.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

Lost! Hahaha. The article leads with references to Lost as a pop culture grab, the rest is more interesting though. It did make me wonder about that rare anomaly, fire tornadoes.

YouTube video of fire tornado: www.youtube.com...

Though, a tornado is clearly a tornado, not smoke/fog/mist. Hmmm?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Yeah, fire tornadoes are essentially the same as dust devils. Just a cyclone of air spinning whatever gets in its path. In this case "Fire". They aren't that rare, but a cool as hell to watch.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Sounds like the Dark Hodded Reapers that were reported to show up right before the Black Death would sweep through a town or village in mid-evil Europe.

Creepy as hell too.

Fox

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FoxStriker

I've never heard of this, but I'd love to. Would make great inspiration for writing. Have you got any links?

Regarding the "death mists", my bet is that they're some form of natural toxic emission, trapped at ground level by what's known as an air inversion, something like the 1948 Donora Death Fog. Smoke monsters, however...I'm not sure what to say. I think there's something like this out there, something that lives in shadow, but I'm not sure what to call it. Psychic projection maybe?

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Hm well a smoke monster or apparition killing pigs on a farm in the 16th century sounds skecthy at best but hey who knows what is to there is what i tell everybody!

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

Hey sorry for the long wait on the reply, didn't know anyone answered back on this thread.... please look at the link below.

Origins of the Grim Reaper

When I did reasearch for a paper my professor told me I was wrong... My understranding is that these beings were trying Mass Genocide as an alternative to Peace talks.

Communities, villages, towns and cities were decimated – the few surviving European had a story to tell; and their stories were all the same……

They all reported that shortly before the plague hitting their community, hooded strangers with “fearful faces” were seen in the fields. The strangers were swinging what appeared to the villagers to be “hissing scythes” over the fields – the strangers left but foul smelling mists permeated in from the fields – some reported seeing lights / crafts in the sky preceding the arrival of the hooded figures.

Ancient Aliens

Also, this information was featured on The History Channel "Ancient Alien" TV Series... people reported seeing beings not of this world in black suits spraying outside the villages and towns in Mid-Evil Europe before an outbreak of the plague.

edit on 10/20/2010 by FoxStriker because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/20/2010 by FoxStriker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Have you ever read about the Nahini Valley in Canada? the locals call it the "The Valley of the Headless Men".

Apparently it's a thermal valley so the ground is often covered in mist and it was a destination for gold prospectirs and the like back in the sald days or yore. Anyway, some peeps went missing and their bodies were discovered sans their heads.

join