It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Writes Note on Special Needs Student's Arm for Parent (& in Black Magic Marker)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
"CALL JAYNE TO NITE"

Source/More (picture included)

GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - A special needs student was sent home from school with an urgent message for her mom. But now a teacher's aide is out of job because of how she sent that note.

Jackie Baldwin's 11-year-old daughter Makada is a student at Fannin Middle School. Tuesday she came home with writing on her arm. "Call Jayne!! To nite!" was written in big letters with a black marker.

Baldwin though it might have been the work of another student. But when confronted, the teacher's aide admitted to the writing. Then she apologized for forgetting to include a phone number.

To add insult to injury, the aid misspelled a word and got the name in the note wrong. There is no Jayne. Baldwin was supposed to call Pat, the coach for the school's Special Olympics team.

News Article Link

I don't know where to begin. This is a special needs student. The teacher/faculty and student had knowledge that there was a notebook especially for messages between parents and teachers in the student's backpack.

The Teacher's Aide misspelled tonight.

When confronted, the teacher aide apologized for forgetting to include the phone number, but did not apologize for writing on the students person ?
?

If a person lacks the common sense to respect someone elses' body and person, they probably should not be working with children, let alone be left alone with any supervision and authority over special needs children.

I found this disturbing and disguisting! I can't find a picture to post, but one is supplied in the link to the source content.
Who writes a message to parents on the parents children? I can't fathom or imagine what the teacher aide was thinking, or why they thought this would be acceptable behavior. Not to mention, I don't think this was a sharpy or a water color marker, but don't know if it was a permanent marker, which would last for awhile.

Bad form in my opinion. The teacher's aide was removed from his/her duties. The message was written in black Magic Marker.

What do fellow ATSers think?

Thanks ATSers for your thoughts,
ET

edit on 7-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: add some stuff

edit on 7-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: add something

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Hey ET

I think before judging we don't know really the context. I know kids have a tendency to loose things especially notes. I've had teachers threaten to tape it to my forehead. Its a bit inappropriate but I don't want to make assumptions, especially from the media they like to paint teachers, cops and anyone with authority as big bad demons.

I think since it was in magic marker that's not as bad seeing as it washes off in one wash.

Xiamara

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

I guess it could have been worse. I didn't know if a magic marker is permanent or not, thanks for clarifying. I just don't agree with students being dressed up as billboards,.... but it is close to halloween

edit on 7-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: left out a crucial word

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

I think it's a good idea. I wouldn't want to walk around all day with a note written on my arm its embarrassing, it'll make sure I don't do it again. They need to bring back the dunce hat and the chair in the corner... Kids are far too spoiled and know they can get away with anything. Teachers need more power, you wont get as many hooligan children if they get smacked with the stupid foam bat.

Then again when I was in grade 11 I had a teacher ask some one *ahem* myself *ahem* to go beat one of the delinquent students with a stack of paper... Totally jokingly, not on my part though idiot didn't do his part of a project we were working on. That was the last time he skipped her class. So they are getting sneaky about it...

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara

I think it's a good idea. I wouldn't want to walk around all day with a note written on my arm its embarrassing, it'll make sure I don't do it again. They need to bring back the dunce hat and the chair in the corner...

Kids are far too spoiled and know they can get away with anything. Teachers need more power, you wont get as many hooligan children if they get smacked with the stupid foam bat.

I don't know. I used to have to pull down my drawers and bend over the desk at the principals office when I was in second, third, and fourth grade. And many a times had welts on my ass for things as petty as punching someone else back after they punched me four or five times. It sorta had me pissed off at authority figures for awhile. I even remember getting my backside spanked (wooden paddel with holes in it) hard 10 times for some other kid throwing paper stars at the teacher, when it was not even me, but the principal and teacher didn't believe me, so Ryan got away with it.

come to think about it, I used to get spanked a lot by the principal, and this was in the 80s. But, I never had any teacher, teacher aide, or staff write a note to my parents on my body.

thanks,
-ET

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

Applying consequences to a child's actions and shaming them are two different exercises.

The former is about instruction. The latter is the consequence of emotional dysfunction.

Perhaps more people should recognize the difference.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

yea, i see what you're problem with this is, and the teacher obviously isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but i'm just not sure if this would be bad enough to make someone lose their job.

magic markers aren't permanent, they don't hurt. and obviously the teacher didn't have anything to hide/feel she was doing anything that wrong. i personally wouldn't write a note on someone's body, but just because the kid is 'special needs' doesn't mean she held him down and wrote it on him without his consent. she might have asked politely and gotten permission to write the note.

she was probably just worried that the kid would lose a paper note or not show the parents. its wierd and uncouth but i dont' think it should have resulted in a firing.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by Xiamara

Applying consequences to a child's actions and shaming them are two different exercises.

The former is about instruction. The latter is the consequence of emotional dysfunction.

Perhaps more people should recognize the difference.

This is what I didn't care for. This is already a special needs child, and to write a message on a child who is probably already experiencing socially dysfunctional issues and is developmentally disabled is just adding to the child's problems in my opinion. I worked for/with developmentally disabled children for 12 years prior to my 11 years in the air force, and I don't think it is right to write on them, unless it is their vital signs during a triage injury situation, perhaps.

consequences yes, further ostracizing them and belitting them publicly among their peers is another thing.

edit on 7-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: spell check

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Some studies actually seem to suggest they share a common brain chemistry path. In my first year psych class last year we had a speaker discuss their research on the affects of mental punishment and isolation. From the results they found was that they share similar neuropathways and isolation and ridicule in their study is more emotionally taxing than physical punishment. And I do acknowledge they are different, both I think are required.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I think before judging we don't know really the context. I know kids have a tendency to loose things especially notes.

from the article:

She is upset because Makada keeps a designated tablet in her backpack specifically for messages between her teachers and parents.

Might have been more respectful to use that, than to treat the kid as a human note pad.

- Lee

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

No offense, but it would concern me if you actually work with children.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

I think we can judge before we know all the facts here.

Magick markers contain xylene.

May cause mild skin irritation with redness and/or an itching or burning feeling. Effects may
become more serious with repeated or prolonged contact. It is likely that some components
of this material are able to pass into the body through the skin and may cause similar effects
as from breathing or swallowing it.

www.docs.citgo.com...

Swallowing this material may be harmful. Swallowing this material may cause stomach or
intestinal upset with pain, nausea, and/or diarrhea. This material can get into the lungs
during swallowing or vomiting. Small amounts in the lungs can cause lung damage, possibly
leading to chronic lung dysfunction or death
. Swallowing this material may cause effects
similar to those described in the inhalation section (see "inhalation" above).

So. I'd say using a xylene based product on a person's skin (no matter what any other extenuating circumstances there could possibly be) to pass notes is grounds for dissmissal IMO.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Hey ET

I think before judging we don't know really the context. I know kids have a tendency to loose things especially notes. I've had teachers threaten to tape it to my forehead. Its a bit inappropriate but I don't want to make assumptions, especially from the media they like to paint teachers, cops and anyone with authority as big bad demons.

I think since it was in magic marker that's not as bad seeing as it washes off in one wash.

Xiamara

luxury!!!

we dreamt of tape, in our school,

we had notes attached to our foreheads with barbed wire.

i tell ya, if it wasn't for technology..........

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Its kind of hard to make that judgment... Its repeat delinquent children the ones who are actually abusing their teachers. Obviously don't start smacking children if they are pulling little Sarah's pig tails. Its called common sense and really people are thinking at extremes. They think your a child abuser since you spank your children when they are being little brats. Its called using your brain and if the punishment fits the crime. Theres stupid then there is appropriate discipline. Coddling children is not doing them any benefit. If there is no real punishment how will they learn? Instead they learn to take advantage of the system believe me It happens. Ever see a grade 7 arrested 3 times in a month.. I have and instead of punishing her the parents say she's just rebelling no harm done..

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Wow.... First of all a special needs students needs special handling and that is why this female was labeled this in her school. Yes, we label people and wonder why they have complexes. I would be upset if I got a note from a school written on my child. 11 years old is a child, even if my child said it was okay for the aide to do this . Who is the adult here?

To me that showed a real lack of respect in the aide's choice of writing on the child. Who cares if it was written in ink pen .......

It is not the fact that it washes off in the wash it is the principle of the matter.

Sorry but respect earns respect and what the aide did is a lack of respect for the child and her parents.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
i tell ya, if it wasn't for technology..........

Speaking of technology.

If the teacher was so worried that the student wouldn't pass along the message, why not pick up a phone and call the parent herself? Or better yet, have the special olympics coach call the parent instead.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

reply to post by loam

Some studies actually seem to suggest...

Xiamara, while I do appreciate your sharing of what studies were taught in classes, and your interpretation of what it means in the long run, the young impressionable girl was taught by an authority figure that it is acceptable behavior to write on other people. For me there are many indications of why this behavior on the part of the teacher's aide was just not right.

Some studies actually seem to suggest they share a common brain chemistry path. In my first year psych class last year we had a speaker discuss their research on the affects of mental punishment and isolation. From the results they found was that they share similar neuropathways and isolation and ridicule in their study is more emotionally taxing than physical punishment.

I entertain the idea that the emotional and mental punishment begins in youth with training them to adhere and conform to the mandatory expectations (laws) that children are taught they must live by, but by the time they die of old age they never learn the number of laws, nor do they learn what all the mandatory expectations mean when held in context with eachother simultaneously.

Punishing anyone physically or mentally or emotionally for not obeying the laws and mandatory expectations when the one doing the punishing does not know the number of laws specifically, nor what they all are, is not justice, in my opinion.

Forcing special ed kids to play by the rules to the game, when no one knows all the rules is .... well, it makes for good ATS discussions, I guess.

conspiracies, are you playing?

peace,
ET

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

This post I can totally agree with.

But, we are talking about a special needs 11 year old here who was written on by a xylene based product for the sole purpose of a phone call which could have been made by the teacher or the coach instead.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I think it's a good idea. I wouldn't want to walk around all day with a note written on my arm its embarrassing, it'll make sure I don't do it again. They need to bring back the dunce hat and the chair in the corner... Kids are far too spoiled and know they can get away with anything. Teachers need more power, you wont get as many hooligan children if they get smacked with the stupid foam bat.

Then again when I was in grade 11 I had a teacher ask some one *ahem* myself *ahem* to go beat one of the delinquent students with a stack of paper... Totally jokingly, not on my part though idiot didn't do his part of a project we were working on. That was the last time he skipped her class. So they are getting sneaky about it...

Teachers do not need more power. And children do not need to be shamed. They need to be empowered, and taught to be true to their hearts. They need to challenge the info they're getting more and ask more questions in history, english and especially social studies, and science.

My father, uncle ,aunt and cousins have been teachers and really good ones at that. My father will tell you immediately that, learnign to read is essential. Basic math is essential, and these two skills allow anyone at any age to learn anything they wish. All the other courses should be elective.

Art and music, poetry and creative writing, are far more valuable to me, for developing a seeking mind, creativity healing and confidence.

We need sensitive, and beautiful interactions with children and to create that same spirit and regard for others in them as well.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Thanks Nutter. Ya, I don't think possible death would be a fair consequence for whatever this eleven year old did at school, and if capital punishment was justified, it surely should not be administered by a teacher's aide at a grade school environment.

I'm pretty sure it is fair to say the teacher's aid was not aware of possible consequences of his/her actions.

I'm going to take a break from thinking about this, I'll be back later.

-ET

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join