It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new almost nation wide law:move over one lane AND drop to 20mph BELOW posted limit if cops pulled ov

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

To change your title , go to your first post (OP) and click on the 'edit' button up in the top right-hand corner.

This will take you to the page where you typed it all in .

Find the top box that has your title in it . Out to the left of this box , it says 'subject' .

Delete all , or part , and type in your new title .

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
They should call this the "Traffic Jam" law because of all the traffic jams it is going to create. xD

Scary thing though is that many people do not know of this law.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Would it not make more sense to make it illegal to pull over on the highway? Require the individual being pulled over to exit the highway for the traffic stop. Why impede the flow of traffic because of one individual?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBloodRed

I recently moved from New Mexico, (where we did not have this law) to Tennessee, (where they DO have this law) and within a few miles of crossing the border, there were signs, "State law requires you to pull over or slow down if emergency vehicles are on the side of the road.." or something much like it.

Amazingly, I mastered this new technique right away.

And, even more amazingly, other people in this state have also seemed able to master this technique, without causing an excess of congestion on the roads.

I doubt it will be as bad as everyone thinks. There will probably be some public service announcements run, and if not, the complaining from the first several people to be ticketed will probably resonate rather quickly through the rest of the population.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
30,000 people die each year from traffic accidents in the U.S. If 150 officers have died since 1999 while having someone pulled over that averages to about 15 a year.

In the grand scheme of things is that a lot? I don't really know statistically if that is a big number compared to normal citizen traffic deaths.

Ideally we would have no traffic fatalities but the elite in charge of the government do not really care about the masses dying in traffic fatalities. If they did they would be spending trillions of dollars on perfecting the computer driven car instead of spending trillions of dollars on the war on terror (terrorism averages about 300 U.S. deaths a year (9/11 divided over 10 years)).

The police get special laws like this because they have unions that lobby legislatures which dutifully bow to the police unions for fear of losing their endorsement come election time.

P.S. I move over, it's just common sense. I don't slow down though.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by helta

While it sucks to have one more law, I think it is common sense. If someone tries to escape from the cops on foot, and you run over them it is your fault. So really there would be a serious civil penalty for you if you were to run over a cop or anyone else.

I have always changed lanes and slowed down when cops are pulled over on the interstate. Screwing up on the interstate can be really bad. You should see the carnage around here when there is road construction.

I ride a crotch rocket a lot too. So you just can't expect to live very long unless you are extremely cautious, and prepared to act. Same as in a car, you may feel safe in there, but when you go off the road at 70mph and hit something, you are screwed.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
statter911.com... s-accused-of-resisting-arrest/

HA! so the cop was suspended and from another article im trying to find again he assulted another black man 4 weeks ish after this incidenct and aparently has lost his job score one for the paramedics!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

People pretty much move over here if they can if someone is broken down too. I think the law made them aware. But we also come to a dead stop if there's a funeral procession going by.

The law is not a bad thing. My husband was hit this way and is lucky to be alive. I think it's a good law. If people can't think for themselves, unfortunately sometimes the law has to do it for them.

And you know, if traffic is bad and you can't move over, just slow down. They not going to ticket you unless you make no attempt to slow down and blow by.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This is nothing new, nor is it a bad idea. People drive like assholes and we need something like this. Most states have had this law for years........

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Didn't read through this thread yet. But this is the reason for this law...

Is it that hard to understand?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

thank you! sorry it took me so long to do it i was selling my car! and thank you im slowly learning but im learning so thats all that matters!!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Reply to post by ~Lucidity

Again the point is missed.

This law would not have prevented hour husband being hit. If some driver is too dense to do the right thing by default that driver isn't going to do it because of some words written in a book somewhere.

If you can't see a guy on the side of the road and conclude you should give him some space how could such a feeble mind or clueless driver think back about various laws and apply the proper law to the situation and react according to the applicable law?

Were taking a situation where a moron behaves stupidly and somehow concluding that giving that moron who obviously can't handle a single task let alone multiple tasks another object of consideration, a law, will result in that moron acting properly to the original scenario.

It's a joke. A terribly sad joke considering how many apparently don't get the punchline.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Odd, I live in New York. I figured it was just common sense. Slow down a little move as far to the left as possible. I always do that. I just figured it was good idea. May be some people just aren't safety conscious.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Yes, points do get missed. Without making this a law, they cannot justify ticketing people for not using common sense. If they cannot ticket people who lack common sense, said people persist in behaving badly.

abcnews.go.com...

In other words, when the number of citations went down, the number of fatal accidents went up the following month, and when the number of tickets went up, the number of fatal accidents dropped the following month. The analysis shows that fatal accidents declined by 35 percent because of citations.

There is a measurable effect of ticketing people on fatal accidents. And while those who received the tickets only behave for 3-4 months after their ticket before resuming their old driving behaviors, in those 3-4 months, less people die.

If you took your logic all the way, why have any traffic laws? People violate all of them at one time or another? Why not just do away with all of them since some person or other is going to ignore the law anyway? The reason is the net benefit outweighs the cost. Many people DO follow the laws, and those that dont can be penalized for their refusal.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by alonzo730

Yep. You'd think it would be common sense.

People have more and more distractions in their cars today. I hope they ticket the HELL out of people who text and drive now that we have that law on our books here in GA.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I've always heard, and done, pulling over to the right lane and coming to a full and complete stop. My dad was a police officer and I've done it ever since I've been driving. I'd say about 75% of the motorists do this as well, at least the ones around me at the times it has happened to me.

Not pulling over is just pure idiocy --like speeding in a construction zone.

It is amazing how many people don't abide by both laws.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2

I get that's your point.

Your other point is it's some gibber gabber about the military industrial complex.

It's not.

We have seat belt laws. To make sure those of us with less than average intellegence don't splatter their skulls on our roads.

We have speed limits so hot shots don't barrel into me doing 120.

And now we have another common sense law.

Will it 100% stop cops from being hit by cars during stops? No. Nothing will.

How safe is the German autobahn compared to comparable roads in other countries that do have posted speed limits?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbox1980
30,000 people die each year from traffic accidents in the U.S. If 150 officers have died since 1999 while having someone pulled over that averages to about 15 a year.

In the grand scheme of things is that a lot? I don't really know statistically if that is a big number compared to normal citizen traffic deaths.

Gee, maybe if people obeyed the existing traffic laws, there might be less than 30,000 traffic fatalities a year.

What is your point? Don't protect the cops until you've saved everyone else? Good grief, according to the CDC, there were 440,000 deaths attributable to smoking each year. Maybe we should quit whining about traffic deaths until we've solved the smoking thing, eh?

You make as much sense as the guy who thinks that the solution is to just keep letting cops get run over until the idiots who don't slow down "learn their lesson."

It's simple, ace. Slow down, move over, and if you don't, I got no sympathy for you if you get ticketed.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

The german autobahn is safe because of their laws. I saw a thing on tv awhile back on the autobahn, if you are ticketed your ticket amount depends on your income. Officer used tailgating as example, one guy gets a $200 ticket and next one gets a $30000 ticket. They don't screw around.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

So this law is oppressive because people are morons, so we shouldn't even act punitively when they act moronically? I think you wrongly apply the meaning of the word "dense"

Pick your fights better dude, this actually does make sense.

In NC we've had these laws for years. At no point has anyone moving one lane over and slowing down a bit caused a traffic jam - it's not bridge construction after all; and regardless of what you say, it has saved lives... impacts to both officers and stopped motorists decreased I think by 15% after it was passed...

I got pulled myself before I even knew of the law. I passed a ST who had pulled someone over around a curve, so when he was done he caught up with me. He told me the law was on the books, that I needed to be more careful and he let me go with no ticket.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join