It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Nessie? Mystery 'sea creature' spotted off British coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
OK, don't shoot the messenger but there may or may not be a new sea monster doing the rounds. Who knows?
Anyway at the very least there is pictures. Not sure what to make of them yet, it could be wood or a wave. I'm sure there is a logical answer.

Cynics may dismiss it as just a piece of driftwood or a trick of the lightCynics may dismiss it as just a piece of driftwood or a trick of the light.

But a photograph showing what appears to be a long-necked sea creature has got marine experts scratching their heads.

The 'animal' was snapped stalking a shoal of fish just 30 yards off the British coast.The creature was spotted off the Devon coast at Saltern Cove, Paignton, by locals who reported a sighting of what they thought was a turtle.

But pictures taken by one of the baffled witnesses, Gill Pearce, reveal the neck of the greenish-brown beast with the reptile-like head is far too long for it to be a turtle.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8272e2fb101d.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2fc223489c07.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 31-7-2010 by pazcat]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
S&F !!

Thank you for posting this! I always loved the story of Nessy!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This could be anything.... a seal perhaps?

Why only take 2 pictures if its something you think is a rare view of something?

I don't believe its anything unknown.

Might wana change the title too, kinda misleading. star for effort though

[edit on 31-7-2010 by Quasar_La-Zar]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Not enough data.

Forming an opinion at this time would be less than efficient, but I will keep an eye on the topic as I can. Please, if you are in that area, go and take a look if you are so inclined? (With a video camera and fresh batteries of course.)

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Yeah, there is not all that much to go on really, as it's been mentioned it could be anything. Maybe there are more pics i don't know, I'm just posting what i found.

Here is another link.

Interestingly there is a cryptid known as Morgawr that has been sighted off of Cornwall in the past.
It might need some looking into.

Morgawr.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by pazcat]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

There's sightings of sea monsters or serpents from all round the British coast.Don't think these pictures are very conclusive though.I've always found Bernard Heuvelmans attempt to categorise the sightings intriguing.
en.wikipedia.org...
[edit on 31-7-2010 by INQUISITION11]

[edit on 31-7-2010 by INQUISITION11]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
At least that new show Fact or Faked will have at least one more episode!
(Personally, I think that program will be short lived)

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

"From the photographs it looks like it could be
www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk...

Well? Why does that article talk about plural photographs and only produce one? I hate when they do that.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Im betting it was a species of beaked whale, there is a lot of them being spotted and washed up on our shores lately.

Noticed the elongated head/neck, could easily be mistaken if they were spotted on the surface.....maybe.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I really can't draw any conclusions from that photograph. I could assume it is a log or a wave, but it is to blurry to even decide that. The only time to be able to decide what it is is when more pictures arrive, if there are more pictures.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this.
So some locals thought this was a turtle? Not really sure how anything in the pictures posted could resemble a turtle.

Its hard to tell by the pictures what exactly the animal/object is.

Hopefully there are some more sightings/pictures or some videos of the creature that come along soon.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I like to hope they exist as cryptozoology really intrests me. However if only one of these unknown animals existed (nessie. bigfoot, yeti etc) then surely by now we would have some sort of physical proof.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I have seen this type of sea creature many times on Lake Ontairo. I belief it is part of the Blurrim Driftwoodius family.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by theush

In regard to Bigfoot/Yeti, etc, id say some physical prove has been found.
Hair that been unidentifed, footprints, etc.

As for creatures like this unless thousands of people have made up/hallucinated, etc all these stories about lake/sea serpents, etc then there is probably some truth to it.

Cheers

[edit on 31-7-2010 by FoxMulder91]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I have seen the same thing around Belize. What I saw was a Manta Ray trolling the surface of the water though. To me it looks like the same thing in the photo.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Found a link that has a third photo. Admittedly it does not really help the matter much. I would like to find more photo's if they exist.

Third photo.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
In this day and age with autofocus cameras and all that, we have yet another example of something out-of-focus, or taken from too far away as to be worthless - yet only 30 yards from the shore, so not that far.

If it was not a log, then I would speculate a dolphin, porpoise or even a basking shark. A "sea creature" en route to Loch Ness it is not.

The laughable thing here is that the newspapers report it at all! News it is not. A pointless photograph it is.

Regards

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The second photo, on the end of the right of it's body, see that lump sticking out? Looks suspiciously like a small dorsal fin.

A possible sighting of a Sperm Whale was recorded on 27th June in Devon.

Has a sperm whale returned to Devon waters? (Includes Video of possible Sperm Whale)

The article goes on to say there was two sightings, one of a possible Sperm Whale and another sighting of a "reptile-like creature" with a "reptillian-like head".

Barnacles, which attach themselves to Whales, may be confused for reptile scales.

Sperm Whale

The reported ridges on the mystery creature's back can be seen on the back of this Sperm Whale in this video, along with the short dorsal fin I think is evident in the second photo.

I believe there are many unknown creatures in the sea, and beneath the waves, but in investigating a sighting of a mysterious sea creature, we should look at what known creature it could be, before coming to the conclusion it is something unknown.

I think a Sperm Whale sighting, together with the mystery creature sighting, may be too much of a coincidence.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
It could be a sea serpent. I was reading an article on listverse.com about animals thought to be cryptozoology animals. There's a picture of one...its number 5 on the list. Here is the link: listverse.com...

top topics

join