It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baptized in sewage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
More than 100,000 tourists visit this famous river to get baptized each year. Unfortunately the river has been found to contain untreated sewage, saline water and fish pond run-off. 98% of the Jordan river was also being diverted by Israel, Syria and Jordan.

The highly polluted water caused a serious health risk, it said.

This river being poluted also harms the livelihood of about 350,000 people who live in the river valley.

This just goes to show that people will do anything to feel closer to God, even if it means being dunked in polluted water.

www.haaretz.com...

[edit on 7/26/2010 by SUICIDEHK45]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
So, just to be clear, there is absolutely nothing having to do with a conspiracy here, it's just an opportunity for you to slam religion and specifically Christianity.

Am I understanding this properly?

Eric

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by EricD

No, I'm not slamming religion. I was just pointing out that people will do almost anything for their gods. The conspiracy here is why would the nations of Syria, Israel, and Jordan would let such a religious place turn into such a filthy river.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
The conspiracy here is why would the nations of Syria, Israel, and Jordan would let such a religious place turn into such a filthy river.

Check out the Ganges River sometime. It's sacred to the Hindu religion, as you may know. I'm no expert in water quality, but I'm guessing its at the very least no better.

Same goes for water (holy or not) in most of the rest of the third world, to varying degrees.

Heck, even in developed countries the water is full of all kinds of heavy metals, dissolved medicines people have flushed down the toilet, and other nasty stuff people don't know about.

Fresh water quality and quantity is a serious issue around the whole world and very soon there will be true "water wars." The nations you mentioned are a tinderbox waiting to explode, not only for religious and political reasons but also because of the dwindling water supply and its worsening water quality. Another place to watch is India/Pakistan. All the main rivers that (nuclear-armed) Pakistan needs to survive originate in India. If India decides it needs to dam those rivers to feed its own people or grow its industry...watch out world.

Not sure this has much to do with religion per se...more to do with a thirsty planet that is only dimly aware of how badly it mismanges its fresh water. There is room for improvement and efficiency change, but a lot less wiggle room than most people assume.
As

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
reply to post by EricD

The conspiracy here is why would the nations of Syria, Israel, and Jordan would let such a religious place turn into such a filthy river.

How is that a conspiracy? Sounds like a regular pollution problem to me.

Happens everywhere.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
They are keeping access to water away from those who need it. Why can't these people get the ultra cheap water filters, or chemical filters so abundant here. Its criminal that people are forced to drink filthy water.

The corporations have destroyed the whole world's water supply for a few extradollars but we won't be able to drink those dollars. And to think it probably could have all been prevented with what? 5% of the profits! Disgusting to say the least.

Same thing as when the government gave money to steel mills for scrubbers and upgrades and they pocketed it.

new topics

top topics

join