It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I get a laptop or an Ipad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This holiday season I plan to get a laptop or an Ipad. Something I take on the go, with wireless internet and loud enough volume. Hopefully this is the right forum.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
In my opinion you should definitely get a Laptop. It's way more versatile and i'm pretty sure it will probably be able to hold more media than an iPad.

But dont listen to me!
This article might* help.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by Falken]

[edit on 17-7-2010 by Falken]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I'd go with a laptop, personally.

$0.02

What do you need the device to do? That's a huge factor to consider.

ETA: Unless you jailbreak it, the iPad will only run apps approved by and sold through the apple store, as far as I know. That's a big loss of flexibility to consider, as well.

TheAssoc.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by TheAssociate]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
A laptop would be my first choice as well. It may not be as light or slim, but it can do a ton more. But i am kinda biased. I dont like iPods and iPads in general. They are a big rip-off. Some cool gadgets here:

Cool Gadgets

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Laptop, for the reasons already stated above.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I managed to pick up a macbook on ebay for 480 pounds uk, not sure what that is in dollars, probably about $700. So way cheaper than an Ipad, and you can do so much more on it. I bought it for music production and am really pleased with it after being a PC for so long.

Have to admit to making a few ebay mistakes in the past, but am pretty happy with the macbook so far.

although if I could only have 1 piece of technology in my life it would be my iphone. people slag them off, but I think the iphone is pretty amazing, you can go on the internet, watch tv, listen to music, play games, use it as a tom tom, phone people and text people.

If I had more money than i knew what to do with then I would buy an ipad

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Go one step further, get a netbook. I have several and love them. They are small, lightweight and have great batter life. A traditional laptop is too much to lug around but you do get the large screen. Avoid the ipad like a case of scorching herpes.

brill

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
if you have money to burn, get this one:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

I suppose you mean this one.

(there was a "-" missing at the beginning)

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

thanks! that's the one alright.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Laptop much more powerfull and has more features

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Definitely a laptop for whatever you need it for, or possibly a netbook as brill suggested.

iPads are extremely limited in what they can do, and the biggest issue with me for any Apple product is with problems you have to bring them to an Apple store. If you're looking for a computer in a small package, go with a netbook. If you're looking for something a bit more powerful, then go with a laptop.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I decided recently to buy a netbook, simply because they offer more for the money compared to tablets. When I'm done with my netbook (3-5 years) I'll buy a tablet since by then I expect them to be better developed than the few that are around now.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
laptop is far better than ipad.

ipads actually suck.

if you really want a tablet,
get the samsung galaxy tab.

but not an ipad.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I like the Hp tm2t series convertible touch netbook.
I actually placed an order for one 2 days ago. Well let me revise my first comment to "I HOPE I like it".

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
I like the Hp tm2t series convertible touch netbook.
I actually placed an order for one 2 days ago. Well let me revise my first comment to "I HOPE I like it".

Nice~ you know Ubuntu 10.10 supports multi touch?

You not planning on having windohs on that thing are ya'? lol

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

To be honest I have been a bit intimidated by Ubuntu. But maybe I could try it out partitioned when my Hp arrives.
The thought even makes me nervous -- the dreaded New and Unknown.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Ubuntu is one of the better distros for those used to Windows, and you can easily find help with any problem, including on ATS.

top topics

join