It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting in the way = death for wildlife

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
With all the depressing things happening lately, I ran across these two articles yesterday and today. Most people probably won't care one way or the other, but these two articles really bothered me.

First:

www.toledoblade.com...
Costly fish kill

This article goes on to say that as many as 60 million fish are killed annually by a power plant in Oregon, Ohio. The fish die either by hitting intake screens or getting sucked into operating quarters with temperatures in excess of 500 degrees. FirstEnergy, a mid-size power plant kills more fish than all other power plants in the state combined. They are under an order to reduce the fish deaths.

I had NO idea so many fish were killed at power plants. Did you?

Second:

A requiem for fallen — geese?
Memorial service to mourn birds euthanized in Oregon

today.msnbc.msn.com...

In Bend, Oregon , 109 Canada geese were euthanize because they were crapping all over the grass in Bend Parks. The Bulletin reported that the birds were put in garbage-can-sized containers last week and gassed with carbon dioxide.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife agreed to euthanize after many attempts to reduce the population had failed, including chasing the geese with dogs, shooting at them with paintball guns and putting oil on goose eggs to prevent them from hatching.

Evidently some people were upset about the geese, as they should be. It pisses me off that we are invading their territory and they are being killed because it interferes with our plans. These are just two stories. There are many, many more. We are killing off so many fish and wildlife , and now with this oil spill, and all the wildlife that will die, what will happen when they are all gone?

I know some of you won't care, but for some reason, this really bothers me. Heck, I am one who is out making sure the toads in my yard stay safe ( no chemicals, I made toad huts for them, I hatch tadpoles and release, etc.) I try to save any creature that ventures into my yard that might be in trouble. I do everything I can to help wildlife, but so many have little to no regard about our earth and it's creatures.

And please don't flame me for caring about wildlife more than humans. It's not that, I care equally. Most of the time, there is no need to kill, but we do it because of nuisance, greed, laziness, and no one gives a crap about anything or anyone but themselves.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
At the city park near me they routinely destroy the waterfowl because they "soil" the water and the grass. Mind you the water is off limits and its home to a boatload of carp (who by the way don't care if the fowl foul the water).

Yet, it's against the law to remove the fowl to private ponds and such. Make any sense to anyone?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
It's just life.

Coyotes and wolves move into an area with a whole lot of turkey and deer. Eventually there are too many predators and not enough food. They move on and some die. After they leave the food populations increase again.

We'll decimate our sources of food until there isnt enough left to feed and a bunch of us will die and cities will empty and these power plants will crumble and eventually the food populations will increase and we'll move back into cities and build up the power plants and on and on it goes.

I know it doesnt seem like it sometimes but humans are a part of nature and our pollution and our paving and our destruction is also part of nature just as our eventually die-off will also be a part of nature.

Doesnt matter what anyone does as far as "green" crap goes. Tax the hell out of carbon and ban petroleum and it'll still come to this sooner or later.

I dont know why the enviro-nuts bother to fight it. They'll get what they want eventually. Unless what they claim to want isnt really what they want.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schleprock
I had NO idea so many fish were killed at power plants. Did you?

If those fish were intelligent, they would move away or try to get out of harm's way. I mean, if you touch an electric fence and get hurt, you learn that it's bad to touch such a fence, you won't do it again and you automatically know from the beginning to don't put yourself into danger.
Animals? They never learn, they aren't intelligent. But does that mean, that we as human should wipe out ourself, just because we don't take care of animals or think that we should reduce our lifes back to cavemen, because otherwise some stupid animals could get killed? I don't think so.

As for the Geese: Nobody likes dirt, nobody likes animal #, it's bad. So i'm all for getting away with animals who basically only desecrate our nice parks and houses or whatever. Same with pigeons, i hate those flying rats.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Apparently they are at least using the geese for food now.

On the news it said some Canadians were horrified over the geese getting killed, but it's not like we don't eat goose up here.

Also, sometimes there are just too many of them.

Once they got over their horror about the geese getting killed, we sent down recipes to make sure they didn't give up their lives for nothing. They cook a little different than most poultry, and taste quite different too.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
New Jersy wants to relocate 2,000 geese. Hold on, there are 80,000 of them in just NJ. www.nj.com...

If you are offended that we are moving them, consider that they bring down airplanes. Maybe we should stop flying. It's a lot of competition for the poor birds.
Isn't it kinder to move them than let them get ground up in jet engines and kill you dear aunt Susie?
We are part of nature too. If you compare the amount of land we take up as compared to the amount of land there is, we don't use that much of it. Even with all the population growth.
I don't approve of animal cruelity, but roast goose isn't bad and there are still millions of them out there.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
i think we should kill all wildlife except the stuff we eat. what has wildlife ever done for you? (facetious)

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Schleprock

No all this bothers me as well and I usually get laughed at for it and I don`t care. I feel exactly the same way as you do about wildlife, that it should be cared for.
Its all going to come back to bite humanity in the ass soon enough. I always remember that song and I can`t remember who sings it but the name of it I thinks it "Pets". Its talks about about how we will make great pets( talking about mankind). We make great pets. We think we are the ultimate in the universe, but who knows?

top topics

join