It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Octopus vs. shark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I have a healthy respect for the octopus. They are smart, intelligent, mysterious. But this vid I came across today amped up that respect a bit. Not mythological, but pretty cool.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
cool video, makes me question what i thought i knew about the food chain of the ocean..

also i echo what you said about having an increased respect for those creatures.

s&f

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
That's really cool... I would have never thought about a octopus praying on a shark.
I guess spuids and whales duke it out, and I saw that movie Mega Shark Vs Mega Octopus So I guess it makes perfect sense.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
They are incredible creatures. Watch as this one squeezes through a 1 cm hole, just because it can. Is it any wonder that Lovecraft based Cthulhu in part on an octopus?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This is a pretty old video in fact it was posted on ATS way back in 2005 but still cool none the less.

Octopuses are very well adapted for hunting many kinds of prey.

Here is a pic of the blue-ringed octopus which is capable of killing a number of humans within minutes. Their diet includes small crab and shrimp --and fish when they can get their tentacles on them. While their bites are often tiny and painless, their venom will cause respiratory failure and paralysis. There is no anti-venom.

I don't think a shark would mess with one of these little guys if they knew what was good for them.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/346127de586d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Cool vids and pics guys!!

I was utubin' looking for some mimicking octopus and ran across this bugger:
Nice Music too...

VAMPIRE SQUID
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 17-5-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
WOW!
Awesome thead! I would have never known that an octopuss could take on a shark! I have never seen a blue ringed one. Cool!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I think a blue ringed octupus was in a James Bond film. Possibly Octopussy but I may be wrong.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

It is very pretty. And deceiving obviously.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Theres also one on a Jaguar vs an Anaconda. But i've never seen this one, quite interesting, but how did the octopus incapacitate the shark? Suffocation?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Actually its not that difficult for the Octopus to slay the shark. Sharks need to keep moving forward in the ocean as to supply enough water to flow through their gills in order to receive enough oxygen. If they stay stationary for too long or cannot move forward in the water, they suffocate.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It makes sense now. Thanks
Seems a little like The Spider caught the fly to me.

join